The Student Room Group

Learning Trig Values and Matrix Transformations for Further Maths GCSE

I'm doing the AQA Level 2 Further Maths and I'm wondering exactly how important is it to learn all of these values.

People who have done already- how did you learn all of it?

I've already made a table with all of the Matrix Transformations on.
Original post by Kevin:)
I'm doing the AQA Level 2 Further Maths and I'm wondering exactly how important is it to learn all of these values.

No need to learn matrix transformations - you just have to consider the effect the trasformation has on the identity matrix. And for trig just remember 2 triangles - one is an equilateral triangle of side length 2 cut in half to make a right angled one, and the other is an isosceles of side lengths 1,1, root 2, with the angles being 90, 45,45
I'm doing that too! What types of trig values do we need to learn? And i assume we need to learn the identity matrix and simple things like rotation 180 degrees or different enlargements and reflection in lines etc?
Reply 3
Original post by Alicehatha
I'm doing that too! What types of trig values do we need to learn? And i assume we need to learn the identity matrix and simple things like rotation 180 degrees or different enlargements and reflection in lines etc?

For the Trig values, I have now just printed off this table:
https://dryuc24b85zbr.cloudfront.net/tes/resources/6437384/image?width=500&height=500&version=1422966153000

I've attached the document I've made for the transformation matrices (I'd recommend you check for any possible mistakes).
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Kevin:)

I'm doing the WJEC one , which allows a calculator. If your exam allows a calculator you won't need to learn them , simply take the value you're given and either plug it into the calculator to get the trig value , or do sin/cos/tan^1 to get the angle (saves a fair load of revision)

Quick Reply

Latest