The Student Room Group

If the UK votes to leave the EU, should Cameron resign?

Poll

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Mariemay94

No, I don't think he should. I would say yes if he then made decisions in spite of the decision which cause harm.
Reply 2
He's already said he's not going to stand for PM again, so essentially he is doing either way.
Honestly Cameron should just resign.
Well he's the one who called for the referendum, we really should be more thankful
nice
Reply 6
Original post by Mariemay94

No that's not how referendums work.

Referendums are a public vote on an issue, not a vote of confidence. If the government loses they are not obliged to resign, they're not even obliged to take notice of the result.
Yes. A PM who fails such a big vote clearly cannot commas the confidence of the winder people. He should stand aside for BoJo.
Original post by Madeline_H95
Yes. A PM who fails such a big vote clearly cannot commas the confidence of the winder people. He should stand aside for BoJo.

But it's not really his choice to leave or go... And no!! Not BoJo!

The public choose whether we should leave or go, should other Party Leaders resign if it doesn't go the way they want? Cameron is holding the referendum as PM, that doesn't mean he should have to go were we to leave.

As it is, I don't think we will leave unfortunately.
Original post by mobbsy91
But it's not really his choice to leave or go... And no!! Not BoJo!

The public choose whether we should leave or go, should other Party Leaders resign if it doesn't go the way they want? Cameron is holding the referendum as PM, that doesn't mean he should have to go were we to leave.

As it is, I don't think we will leave unfortunately.

It's not true the public choose. When Cameron is PM there is no way for the public to get rid of him until the election time where he can be voted out. Even if at the election time the public hated him he could still be PM if the alternative was worse than him.

If Cameron was neutral in the debate he could claim to be holding the referendum in his role as PM. His intervention to put everything he has into supporting the yes campaign makes a failure for him to win like a de facto rejection of everything Cameron pushed to the British people and supported. People would be rejecting him as much as they rejected the EU.
(edited 8 years ago)
It's not true the public choose. When Cameron is PM there is no way for the public to get rid of him until the election time where he can be voted out. Even if at the election time the public hated him, he could still be PM if the alternative was worse than him.

If Cameron was neutral in the debate he could legitimately claim to be holding the referendum in his role as PM. His intervention to put everything he has into supporting the yes campaign makes a failure for him to win a de facto rejection of everything Cameron pushed to the British people and supported. People would be rejecting him as much as they rejected the EU.

If Cameron is doing such a bad job, there could be a VoNC against him... the point is, that with the GE, the majority of those whom voted, decided that the Conservatives, and by extension, he should be PM.

There's no way he's going to be neutral, and no PM would be... The referendum isn't a VoNC against him, it's a referendum for in/out of the EU. I would complain if he wasn't swayed to one side of the referendum, because I'd think he's being lazy or doesn't care...
no - I really disagree with this whole notion of how if a politician calls a major vote and it gets shot down then this is somehow a sign of their illegitimacy - it's not as if *everybody* in their party will agree with a PM on absolutely everything, and simply having a vote is not to say he's imposing his will onto the party - they can say yes or no. it's that simple. it's bad publicity, but it's not a sign of fundamental instability or a lack of confidence. to say that they should *resign* for basically using the parliamentary democratic process to see if something becomes successful is just stupid. a cabinet is not going to get everything it wants, and they shouldn't be calling for resignations just because the public thought something on an important constitutional issue that the PM happened to disagree with - I mean, I didn't think alex salmond should have resigned just because 10% more people thought one thing over another (the scottish indie ref). as much as I think alex salmond is a total self-important chump, I don't think I can logically justify something as drastic as that unless he made a promise to resign if his side lost.
If Cameron is doing such a bad job, there could be a VoNC against him... the point is, that with the GE, the majority of those whom voted, decided that the Conservatives, and by extension, he should be PM.

There's no way he's going to be neutral, and no PM would be... The referendum isn't a VoNC against him, it's a referendum for in/out of the EU. I would complain if he wasn't swayed to one side of the referendum, because I'd think he's being lazy or doesn't care...

The people decided that at the ge, if everyone in the country now hated him a vonc depends on the MPs calling one. The Tory MPs are not going to call a vonc against him even if everyone in the country hates Cameron. The people have no say over the PM between elections.

It acts as a referendum against him. It's like with Scotland, if Scotland left he would have been forced to resign as PM. He cant carry on after losing an important vote.

I wouldn't complain. It would be easier to leave if he was neutral than if he swung to support the in campaign.
(edited 8 years ago)
The people decided that at the ge, if everyone in the country now hated him a vonc depends on the MPs calling one. The Tory MPs are not going to call a vonc against him even if everyone in the country hates Cameron. The people have no say over the PM between elections.

It acts as a referendum against him. It's like with Scotland, if Scotland left he would have been forced to resign as no PM can carry on after losing an important vote.

I wouldn't complain. It would be easier to leave if he was neutral than if he swung to support the in campaign.

No, but if he was doing that badly, then I can assure you that a VoNC would be called!
In answer to the OP, no. That said, i have no doubt he will if he loses.

Given that the UK would be in exit negotiations for around 2 years, it would be pretty intolerable for the Brexit camp to be following the orders of a prominent member of the In camp.

No, but if he was doing that badly, then I can assure you that a VoNC would be called!

One has to question the sanity of some of the Tories who want him gone. He's one of the few politicians in the country who's approval ratings are consistently higher than his party (i.e. the public dislike our policies, not Cameron as PM).

Cameron may not be Thatcher or even Major but he's a good guy who's reasonably competent and dependable. I think even a lot of the left accept that the country could do far worse.
okay so, if the UK people decide to *stay* in the EU, natalie bennett, tim farron, nicola sturgeon and jeremy corbyn all, too, ought to resign? from this logic - yes.

this ought to be an interesting situation then, eh europhiles?
Original post by Youngmetro
Well he's the one who called for the referendum, we really should be more thankful

UKIP actually got us this referendum.
The answer to 'should Cameron resign?' is always yes.

Well he clearly has the confidence of the people because he's been elected PM twice....

He's a prick though, he should resign regardless. All the Tories should resign and **** off.
Original post by Joel 96
UKIP actually got us this referendum.

stfu

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending