The Student Room Group

Isabella or The Pot of Basil - Keats

Is anyone studying this poem? I can't find info about it anywhere, and I have loads of questions but also notes I could share with you guys! I'm doing AQA English Literature B

Scroll to see replies

I'm doing that.

I'm actually just about to start my revision for it, so if you could share some of your notes I would really appreciate it!

Also if you have any notes on any of the other Keats poems as well, that would be great. :smile:

Ask away, I might remember something. :tongue:
Thank you!

Right, yunno in that bs about The Pot of Basil, in stanza XIV it says 'and many once proud-quivered loins did melt' do you have any idea wtf this means???
Original post by Chris-Graham
Thank you!

Right, yunno in that bs about The Pot of Basil, in stanza XIV it says 'and many once proud-quivered loins did melt' do you have any idea wtf this means???

it seems to describe the manual workers' strapping bodies being reduced by corporal punishment...
Original post by the bear
it seems to describe the manual workers' strapping bodies being reduced by corporal punishment...

What do you mean 'strapping bodies'???

Also, 'proud-quivered' refers to a case of darts (a 'quiver') I think, but i don't understand how that makes sense in the context!
What do you mean 'strapping bodies'???

Also, 'proud-quivered' refers to a case of darts (a 'quiver') I think, but i don't understand how that makes sense in the context!

'strapping' is an English word which means impressive, proud, manly etc.

a 'quiver' is a container for arrows...although in the next section he refers to the seal punctured with darts....
'strapping' is an English word which means impressive, proud, manly etc.

a 'quiver' is a container for arrows...although in the next section he refers to the seal punctured with darts....

I know, but I mean when the workers are described with having 'proud-quivered loins', what does that mean, like how can they have proud body parts that... look like sacks of arrows?! Do you understand what this bit means? Maybe I just got it wrong lol
I know, but I mean when the workers are described with having 'proud-quivered loins', what does that mean, like how can they have proud body parts that... look like sacks of arrows?! Do you understand what this bit means? Maybe I just got it wrong lol

it is rather obscure isn't it ? perhaps he was referring to the strapping manly legs of the workers being encased in high leather boots ?

:dontknow:
it is rather obscure isn't it ? perhaps he was referring to the strapping manly legs of the workers being encased in high leather boots ?

:dontknow:

Idk what it has to do with a quiver :confused: And idk where you keep getting this strapping thing from mannnn
I am going to write my revision notes up for this tomorrow so I will share them in the group if anyone is interested?
Idk what it has to do with a quiver :confused: And idk where you keep getting this strapping thing from mannnn

i have managed to find this:

http://www.bartleby.com/333/396.html#note396.3

i could actually kiss you
i could actually kiss you

avaunt ! approacheth not the wind-wracked cheeks of the bear™
avaunt ! approacheth not the wind-wracked cheeks of the bear™

idek what you just said omg
idek what you just said omg

no bear-snogging :noway:

:rofl:
no bear-snogging :noway:

:rofl:

i have another question
i have another question

nunc tunc ignis via :h:
nunc tunc ignis via :h:

Right, okay....

You know in stanza XXXIII where it says about 'and every night in dreams they groaned aloud, to see their sister in her snowy shroud' is she dreaming about them groaning or something like wtf is this poem
Right, okay....

You know in stanza XXXIII where it says about 'and every night in dreams they groaned aloud, to see their sister in her snowy shroud' is she dreaming about them groaning or something like wtf is this poem

will go and have a look in my dusty library... :holmes:
will go and have a look in my dusty library... :holmes:

Awesome ty

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending