The Student Room Group

Should we be concerned about the way gays are treated in certain countries?

Or should we just accept it because "it's just their culture"?

Scroll to see replies

No we should not accept it

What can be done I don't know other than ensure Human rights are a condition of interaction with the wider world (It should be a major condition)
You have no right pushing your own moral beliefs and laws into countries that have a different cultural and ethical code. If homosexuality is shunned upon and punished given the right judicial process in said country, you cannot interfere.
Original post by digistar_100
You have no right pushing your own moral beliefs and laws into countries that have a different cultural and ethical code. If homosexuality is shunned upon and punished given the right judicial process in said country, you cannot interfere.

Then these countries should not be able to join us on the international stage and should not receive any for of international aid from the rest of us

But they are called UNIVERSAL HUMAN RIGHTS for a reason
Original post by KingBradly
Or should we just accept it because "it's just their culture"?

Should we be concerned about the way Jews are treated in certain countries, or should we just accept it because "it's their culture"?

Of course the answer is self-evident. We should not accept barbaric treatment of LGBT people. We need to speak out against it. I am very pleased that at present we are making war against the most extreme practitioners of anti-LGBT hatred (Da'esh).
Reply 5

But it's ok for the rulers of those countries to push their moral beliefs on its gay citizens?

Also, please explain to me what you actually mean when you say "you have no right". What is one of these mythical "rights" you speak of and how does one obtain one?
Reply 6

Hogwash.
What is one of these mythical "rights" you speak of and how does one obtain one?

I suspect at some point the term 'Allah' will be used as justification

We don't "push" our beliefs on these countries in that we've never invaded a country because of its mistreatment of its LGBT citizens. However we are absolutely entitled (even obligated) to speak out against barbaric treatment of the LGBT

Also, I personally find it interesting that regressives and certain Muslim factions always go on and on about sovereignty and how we should not intervene in internal affairs of other countries. These same people are often condemning Israel in the loudest possible way viz its internal affairs and demanding intervention and action be taken against it.

Hypocrisy much? Is it that being a Muslim entitles you to intervene in the internal affairs of other countries when you believe they are mistreating their Muslim population, but being LGBT (or sane) doesn't entitle you to speak out and perhaps intervene on the basis of mistreatment of LGBT people?
(edited 8 years ago)
Just because we don't live in a gay hating country it doesn't mean we should ignore it. Ignorance would just lead to more hatred and a fast track to the dark ages even more for gay people.
Original post by BaconandSauce
Then these countries should not be able to join us on the international stage and should not receive any for of international aid from the rest of us

Universal human rights and the such are all man made laws and can change..
But it's ok for the rulers of those countries to push their moral beliefs on its gay citizens?

Also, please explain to me what you actually mean when you say "you have no right". What is one of these mythical "rights" you speak of and how does one obtain one?

Muslim leaders push core Islamic beliefs into vast majority muslim populations shock. Citizens aren't being forced to stay but as long as they abide the rules and not commit crime then there is no problem. The proliferation of openly accepting gays is not healthy for a muslim majority nation.

That argument could be used to justify all sorts of persecution, including ongoing actions by ISIS and historical actions of the Nazis. What rubbish.

Let's not have any of this "it's their culture" BS. If they persecute gay people then their so called "culture" is backwards and does not deserve any respect.
(edited 8 years ago)

Don't tell me Allah's law is 'god made' and 'can't change'
Reply 14
Muslim leaders push core Islamic beliefs into vast majority muslim populations shock. Citizens aren't being forced to stay but as long as they abide the rules and not commit crime then there is no problem. The proliferation of openly accepting gays is not healthy for a muslim majority nation.

So you support a tyranny of the majority?

Would you support Muslims being hung in the UK, because many people think Islam is "not healthy" for our society?

Well done, laws are man made. Thanks Captain Obvious.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Of course we should be, and we should speak out.

Original post by BaconandSauce

PRSOM
For Islamic cultures, where lgbt people are 'abominations' I think pressure should be put on them to start treating lgbt people like human beings.

For African countries, hating lgbts is not necessarily part of the culture (in some places being lgbt is part of the culture surprisingly) it's just during colonial times the white people made homosexuality against the law in their colonies (gee thanks guys) and those laws never really changed.
Thankfully, due to massive campaigns and an increase in education homophobia is on the decline though I still think foreign governments should put pressure on African governments to change the laws.
So far I think Uganda and one other African country has decriminalised being lgbts.
we have to accept that some cultures are better than others, and reject this truly ridiculous and mindless view that "all cultures are equal". I am referring to culture, not race.
the UK, for example, through its freedom, its democracy, its science, its relative lack of religion, its gender equality, etc, makes cultures like pakistan, bangladesh, saudi arabia etc look like cultural black holes.
(edited 8 years ago)
You could intersect the word "gays" with anything.
Should we be concerned with the way women / children / whites / blacks etc are treated in other countries?
Yes. If people are being mistreated and the law doesn't protect them then we should help out those in need.
Everyone on this earth has the same 30 basic human rights. If a country is advocating the removal of any of those rights for a group of people then we should call them out on it. That includes not being discriminated against nor having those rights taken away.
If we don't defend those rights, then it could be argued that we also don't need those rights.

http://www.samaritanmag.com/we-have-30-basic-human-rights-do-you-know-them

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending