The Student Room Group

RAF Medic

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Hi guys!

My dates came through this morning! What a relief it was hahha!

Looking similar dates to you Rhysowen!

NorthFace
Original post by NorthFace
Hi guys!

NorthFace

What dates did you get? We Might be the same
Fiinaly hahha glad you're all sorted. Now the next anxiety of the long wait to get in haha. Well looks like all three of us may be fellow medics on the same intake!
Original post by rhysowen
Fiinaly hahha glad you're all sorted. Now the next anxiety of the long wait to get in haha. Well looks like all three of us may be fellow medics on the same intake!

Hi guys!

NorthFace

Original post by Slay_maker

Can I just ask, what does the role of an RAF Medic involve and what's a civvy job it's akin to? Is it like a paramedic?
Original post by jenigma
Can I just ask, what does the role of an RAF Medic involve and what's a civvy job it's akin to? Is it like a paramedic?

Look it all up on the RAF website- the information is clear and easy to understand. It also gives civvy roles that RAF medic relates to.
Look it all up on the RAF website- the information is clear and easy to understand. It also gives civvy roles that RAF medic relates to.

Sure, but that's just what the website says. Thought an insider's POV would be different but I guess I'll ask again after your PRTC and basic training.

Good luck with Halton, tough but do-able!
Reply 26

Original post by rhysowen

Not going to put exact dates on here for obvious reasons! :biggrin:

But it does look like us 3 are all on the same if not very similar intake dates :smile:

Rather excited to get going now!

NorthFace
Reply 27
Actually another quick question someone may be able to answer me,

On the letter what is sent out for the invitation to PRTC, it shows equivalent qualifications if you hold one of these do you not have to sit the FS exams? I have been led to believe that everyone who does not have the FS qual has to do it regardless of things like GSCE and GCE's!

NorthFace
You have to do the functional skills test depsite having GCSEs:smile:
Reply 29
Damn thats a pain haha! was trying to do a sneaky skip-aroo!

PRTC is getting closer :biggrin:

NorthFace
Actually another quick question someone may be able to answer me,

On the letter what is sent out for the invitation to PRTC, it shows equivalent qualifications if you hold one of these do you not have to sit the FS exams? I have been led to believe that everyone who does not have the FS qual has to do it regardless of things like GSCE and GCE's!

NorthFace

Hi, I've recently been on PRTC and if you hold the equivalent GCSE's for Maths and English language at the required grade then you do NOT have to take the functional skills exams....the only exams you will have to take is the BSKB for Maths and English which are like 30 minutes long each. You will just have to hand in your original certificates to whoever is leading PRTC and they will retain them until the end of Phase 2 training. Hope this clears it all up for you 😀
Reply 31
SouthernAirman you are a shining little star!! That's one less thing to concentrate on! (ill still be revising just in case) :smile:

How was the Fitness test? and PRTC in general?

NorthFace
I found PRTC to be great overall and it really does give you a good insight into what your training will be like. You'll meet some good people on PRTC and hopefully make some good mates before hitting up basic training.

The only gripe I had with PRTC was that there was a lot of waiting around but you are lucky in that they have changed PRTC in the last few weeks so they are running a new programme so that the course is not as long, which trust me is a good thing as this is what most people were moaning about.

The fitness test was standard really. If you have practised for it then you will have no problems and you only have to go for the pass mark and the PTI's will stop you there and then. Please make sure you have prepared as it is a pretty hard thing to watch people fail their fitness test. If you've got any more questions then don't hesitate to ask me 👍

SouthernAirman
Original post by SouthernAirman
I found PRTC to be great overall and it really does give you a good insight into what your training will be like. You'll meet some good people on PRTC and hopefully make some good mates before hitting up basic training.

The only gripe I had with PRTC was that there was a lot of waiting around but you are lucky in that they have changed PRTC in the last few weeks so they are running a new programme so that the course is not as long, which trust me is a good thing as this is what most people were moaning about.

The fitness test was standard really. If you have practised for it then you will have no problems and you only have to go for the pass mark and the PTI's will stop you there and then. Please make sure you have prepared as it is a pretty hard thing to watch people fail their fitness test. If you've got any more questions then don't hesitate to ask me 👍

SouthernAirman

Hi mate. I am a bit confused about the functional skills exams? I've
Seen on some threads that everyone has to do them and then on others that if you have the relevant qualification then you don't? I have a GCSE grade C in both English and maths so would I have to take them? Also, if you fail them, will that mean you will not proceed to basic training?
Thanks
Jamie
Well I've been on PRTC fairly recently i.e. within the last few weeks and if you've got the original certificates with you then you won't have to take the FS exams. Be wary though as some people had the Welsh or Scottish equivalents and I'm fairly sure they had to do the FS exams as I believe the RAF don't accept these as equivalents. Regarding the FS exams themselves, if you do happen to fail them then you will just have to go to basic training a few days earlier in order to have a few lessons on both subjects and you will then have the chance to have another go at them.

SouthernAirman

Quick Reply

Latest