The Student Room Group

Should i do biomedical sciences in uni?

I quite like the content and find it really interesting, but would it be hard to get a job later with the degree?
Original post by tamanna___
I quite like the content and find it really interesting, but would it be hard to get a job later with the degree?

If that's what interests you then go for it! It's a great degree to have. What sort of job could you see yourself doing? Obviously biomedical sciences isn't a vocational degree so aside from things like research, further study in healthcare, there will be many jobs you could get that aren't directly related to the subject. A girl I know has recently graduated from this degree and she now organises medical conferences etc :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
One of the Science Teachers in my school has a degree in this
Reply 3
Original post by Changing Skies
If that's what interests you then go for it! It's a great degree to have. What sort of job could you see yourself doing? Obviously biomedical sciences isn't a vocational degree so aside from things like research, further study in healthcare, there will be many jobs you could get that aren't directly related to the subject. A girl I know has recently graduated from this degree and she now organises medical conferences etc :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I wanted to be a Biomedical scientist but not so sure
Reply 4
It can be quite hard to get a job as a Biomedical scientist if you intend to work within the NHS. You require a post-degree accrediation by completing a 7-9 month portfolio to become officially certified to work in a lab. The majority of NHS jobs require you to already have completed this portfolio and there are very few trainee positions. It is possible to become accredited via a private company or by working as a Medical Laboratory Assistant if they allow you too (Band 2 15 grand a year job). It is worth taking into account that you might have to work as a MLA first.

I personally (like many others) used my biomed degree to study medicine. I looked into jobs but i didnt pursue it as i looked for patient contact experience.
Reply 5
Original post by Dallen
It can be quite hard to get a job as a Biomedical scientist if you intend to work within the NHS. You require a post-degree accrediation by completing a 7-9 month portfolio to become officially certified to work in a lab. The majority of NHS jobs require you to already have completed this portfolio and there are very few trainee positions. It is possible to become accredited via a private company or by working as a Medical Laboratory Assistant if they allow you too (Band 2 15 grand a year job). It is worth taking into account that you might have to work as a MLA first.

I personally (like many others) used my biomed degree to study medicine. I looked into jobs but i didnt pursue it as i looked for patient contact experience.

So after graduating with a bio med degree you went back to uni and are now studying medicine? A friend of mine wants to do that but dont think its for me.. I'd rather have a job and get settled quickly
Reply 6
Original post by tamanna___
So after graduating with a bio med degree you went back to uni and are now studying medicine? A friend of mine wants to do that but dont think its for me.. I'd rather have a job and get settled quickly

I have been doing health care assistant work for 2 years and i dont start medicine till September. Youll find that alot of the students studying biomed intend to use it to study medicine.

In terms of being a biomedical scientist, youll probably need to work as a MLA, alternatively i have heard that if you do a year of industry inbetween 2nd and 3rd year you can complete your portfolio which would allow you to go straight into biomed work upon qualification.
Reply 7
Original post by Dallen
I have been doing health care assistant work for 2 years and i dont start medicine till September. Youll find that alot of the students studying biomed intend to use it to study medicine.

In terms of being a biomedical scientist, youll probably need to work as a MLA, alternatively i have heard that if you do a year of industry inbetween 2nd and 3rd year you can complete your portfolio which would allow you to go straight into biomed work upon qualification.
Thanks for the info! Its really unbiased, I can have a think about it now, thanks!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending