The Student Room Group

Maths at Uni

I really want to go to uni and I'm doing Maths, F Maths, Economics and Drama at A-Level. I want to do Maths at Uni but am having doubts as I don't know how "good" at Maths you have to be... Is Maths at Uni really difficult compared to AS/A2?
Its different from A level maths. Try having a look at few STEP papers
The only way to know is to try... And I don't suggest STEP as it is not really related to what you'll be doing at uni. Have a look at introductory analysis / abstract algebra.books.
Original post by hassassin04
The only way to know is to try... And I don't suggest STEP as it is not really related to what you'll be doing at uni. Have a look at introductory analysis / abstract algebra.books.

@Zacken@joostan ???
Reply 4
Original post by 10tojones
I really want to go to uni and I'm doing Maths, F Maths, Economics and Drama at A-Level. I want to do Maths at Uni but am having doubts as I don't know how "good" at Maths you have to be... Is Maths at Uni really difficult compared to AS/A2?

Depends on which university... any general range you're aiming at? Is it the Cambridge level or something more manageable?
Reply 5
I am doing mathematical physics at Nottingham and I find the maths very hard and different from A level
Reply 6
Original post by 10tojones

This question depends on how you define difficulty.
Yes, the maths will probably become harder to follow, but this doesn't mean that you won't be able to do it.
The problems you'll face there will take far longer to solve than anything you'll meet at A-Level - STEP being the closest thing in terms of time taken, though the questions on STEP are based solely on A-level knowledge.

If you're doing well at A-level a Maths degree at a decent University should be well within your capabilities, most universities do tend to ease you into it - with some notable exceptions.
Reply 7
Original post by Zacken
Depends on which university... any general range you're aiming at? Is it the Cambridge level or something more manageable?

I am looking at getting A*AA-ABB. Cambridge isn't in the frame but am still not sure if I could manage even getting into a uni requiring ABB...

Quick Reply

Latest