The Student Room Group

Whos Doing IGCSE First Language English 0522?

Last year of IGCSE First Language English 0522

Scroll to see replies

Hi. I am doing the same exam, in less than a month's time. However I have already passed it last year and I am retaking it to get a much higher grade for University.
Yup. I think....
Original post by Rhythmical
Hi. I am doing the same exam, in less than a month's time. However I have already passed it last year and I am retaking it to get a much higher grade for University.

HELP.
Its 40% CW and my CW is very good as well as 20% Speaking and Listening. i got 28/30. But my exam isn't really good.. Any tips/tricks for the exam?

Thanks
-Shahbaz
Original post by ShahbazKHAN
HELP.
Its 40% CW and my CW is very good as well as 20% Speaking and Listening. i got 28/30. But my exam isn't really good.. Any tips/tricks for the exam?

Thanks
-Shahbaz

Hi. Firstly well done on getting 28/30 on speaking and listening. I got 29/30 and it helps boost your marks. What I will say for the exam is to not panic at all. You need to get some creative juices flowing too as for question one, you will be likely writing an article/interview or something creative. Question 2 is probably where it gets tricky and it's all about techniques and picking out language and imagery. You need to practice this. For Question 3, the summary is the easiest but a lot of people fail to pass this section because they get confused. Firstly when you select points, it is the points in the extract they provide you so at this stage, don't bother writing it in your own words. And don't cut a sentence in half by making it two points as examiners will mark you down. For the summary, write in your own words what you have read and make sure you have included all 15 points you have selected but rewrite them and make sure it flows. I would say that past papers help, check out the specimen papers on the official CIE website which will be visible when you scroll down. If you are doing the extended paper then it is roughly 30 marks to secure an A although CIE does increase this year by year. It is about 104 marks to get an A*, 96 to get an A and 86 for a B and so on although it will change but these are the rough marks.

http://www.cie.org.uk/programmes-and-qualifications/cambridge-igcse-english-first-language-uk-0522/past-papers/
(edited 8 years ago)
Hi. Firstly well done on getting 28/30 on speaking and listening. I got 29/30 and it helps boost your marks. What I will say for the exam is to not panic at all. You need to get some creative juices flowing too as for question one, you will be likely writing an article/interview or something creative. Question 2 is probably where it gets tricky and it's all about techniques and picking out language and imagery. You need to practice this. For Question 3, the summary is the easiest but a lot of people fail to pass this section because they get confused. Firstly when you select points, it is the points in the extract they provide you so at this stage, don't bother writing it in your own words. And don't cut a sentence in half by making it two points as examiners will mark you down. For the summary, write in your own words what you have read and make sure you have included all 15 points you have selected but rewrite them and make sure it flows. I would say that past papers help, check out the specimen papers on the official CIE website which will be visible when you scroll down. If you are doing the extended paper then it is roughly 30 marks to secure an A although CIE does increase this year by year. It is about 104 marks to get an A*, 96 to get an A and 86 for a B and so on although it will change but these are the rough marks.

http://www.cie.org.uk/programmes-and-qualifications/cambridge-igcse-english-first-language-uk-0522/past-papers/

Thanks and yes i am doing the extended paper.. hopefully aiming for A or A*.
Thanks again and have you done Computing/Business Studies for GCSE's?
And may I ask what are you currently studying? Alevels/Gcses/Uni ect

Hi. Glad I could help and I haven't done Business/Computing unfortunately and I am studying A Levels in English Language, English Literature and an OCR Cambridge Technical in Media. What will you do after GCSE's?
Hi. Glad I could help and I haven't done Business/Computing unfortunately and I am studying A Levels in English Language, English Literature and an OCR Cambridge Technical in Media. What will you do after GCSE's?

I want to go college obvs.
But in the future i want to become a stockbroker/investment banker
and i really need help to which A-levels to pick to become a stockbroker/investment banker.
i was thinking of doing ;
Maths
Economics
Graphics (to show my creative side)
and props Accounting
I want to go college obvs.
But in the future i want to become a stockbroker/investment banker
and i really need help to which A-levels to pick to become a stockbroker/investment banker.
i was thinking of doing ;
Maths
Economics
Graphics (to show my creative side)
and props Accounting

That sounds good, have you ever considered Business at A Level? And I found a revision guide for the English exam http://www.ruskinhighschool.co.uk/images/pdf_files/IGCSE%20English%20Revision%20Guide%20Extended.pdf but your options look good and Maths and Economics go hand in hand. I will recommend Further Maths too if your college offers it and you can handle it.

Hey what subjects do you do? Sounds like you similar ones to me as I do Business Studies and computer science :smile:
That sounds good, have you ever considered Business at A Level? And I found a revision guide for the English exam http://www.ruskinhighschool.co.uk/images/pdf_files/IGCSE%20English%20Revision%20Guide%20Extended.pdf but your options look good and Maths and Economics go hand in hand. I will recommend Further Maths too if your college offers it and you can handle it.

Thanks for the revision resources. Yeah ill change he accounting into FM as my mum(Maths Teacher at Manchester Grammer) said its good
So much easier to get an A* without the coursework component. Like 93. Does everyone get an amazing coursework mark?
Thanks for the revision resources. Yeah ill change he accounting into FM as my mum(Maths Teacher at Manchester Grammer) said its good

No problem and yeah it sounds better because you'll learn Maths in depth and thoroughly as opposed to just Maths and shows your determination.
Original post by rosiehannay
Hey what subjects do you do? Sounds like you similar ones to me as I do Business Studies and computer science :smile:

Maths
English Language (did eng lit last year and got A)
Additional Science (Did core last year got A/A/B)
RE
Computing (60% CW)(LMC/Python) (Got A* Python and A LMC)
Business(60% CW got A* 3marks from full marks)
Geography
Graphics
Im doing english language iGCSE (0522) as well! Yesterday was exactly a month until our exam haha so scared! I did a mock paper in school and was able to get an A* so I am not as scared about my exam as I am with my coursework and S&L. My S&L is in 2 weeks so need to prepare for that. Last year my old teacher messed up our coursework so we all have to do it again. So far im on an A which isn't too bad since I want an A at least lol.

Btw where did you get the grade boundaries from I cannot find them? Also do they add up all the marks together because I am pretty sure there isnt a paper that has about 100 marks haha XD

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by DamnDaniel2
Im doing english language iGCSE (0522) as well! Yesterday was exactly a month until our exam haha so scared! I did a mock paper in school and was able to get an A* so I am not as scared about my exam as I am with my coursework and S&L. My S&L is in 2 weeks so need to prepare for that. Last year my old teacher messed up our coursework so we all have to do it again. So far im on an A which isn't too bad since I want an A at least lol.

Btw where did you get the grade boundaries from I cannot find them? Also do they add up all the marks together because I am pretty sure there isnt a paper that has about 100 marks haha XD

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh Hey. I did my S&L and got 28/30.. The teachers will say that you need to make eye-contact and ect but when i did it i was just reading it from a paper. I wrote all my speech on 2 small papers and they allowed it (SHHH), yeah thats amazing getting an A* in the mock. We only have been doing IGCSE English from this year so we are quite new. When i did my Mock we only had a lesson to prepare for. As for my coursework its A* to A* in every piece... Also the link below is a Revision Guide;
http://www.ruskinhighschool.co.uk/images/pdf_files/IGCSE%20English%20Revision%20Guide%20Extended.pdf
and the mark scheme;
http://papers.xtremepapers.com/CIE/Cambridge%20IGCSE/English%20-%20First%20Language%20(UK)%20(0522)/0522_s13_gt.pdf
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by ScienceFantatic
So much easier to get an A* without the coursework component. Like 93. Does everyone get an amazing coursework mark?

I guess yeah because the teachers can help and we can take it home and do it again and again making it a perfect mark. But this is the last year of IGCSE First Language English as the government says 'its very easy to pass' with IGCSE.
I wish IGCSE makes this last exam the easiest xD
Oh Hey. I did my S&L and got 28/30.. The teachers will say that you need to make eye-contact and ect but when i did it i was just reading it from a paper. I wrote all my speech on 2 small papers and they allowed it (SHHH), yeah thats amazing getting an A* in the mock. We only have been doing IGCSE English from this year so we are quite new. When i did my Mock we only had a lesson to prepare for. As for my coursework its A* to A* in every piece... Also the link below is a Revision Guide;
http://www.ruskinhighschool.co.uk/images/pdf_files/IGCSE%20English%20Revision%20Guide%20Extended.pdf
and the mark scheme;
http://papers.xtremepapers.com/CIE/Cambridge%20IGCSE/English%20-%20First%20Language%20(UK)%20(0522)/0522_s13_gt.pdf

How do I know which option im in in the mark scheme?

And loool cheater haha just kidding. Thats such a good score! A solid A* :smile:
Im sure u'll get an A* u seem like a very motivated driven individual haha!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by DamnDaniel2
How do I know which option im in in the mark scheme?

And loool cheater haha just kidding. Thats such a good score! A solid A* :smile:
Im sure u'll get an A* u seem like a very motivated driven individual haha!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh no.. For the S&L you can only get A.
for the MS i have no clue xD but i heard it is around 104 Marks to get A*, 96 A,86 B, so on, you get the image
Oh no.. For the S&L you can only get A.
for the MS i have no clue xD but i heard it is around 104 Marks to get A*, 96 A,86 B, so on, you get the image

Hahaha ohh okk! I did not know that lol :smile: and oh ok yh I get the gist XD

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending