The Student Room Group

What skill/subject will always be in high demand up to the singularity?

What subject will always be in high demand even when we crack artificial intelligence and build a super-intelligent computer.

Most people I have met have said: Mathematics and/or Philosophy.
No subject in its current form will be useful up to the singularity. They're all going to change and morph and evolve into something else.
The people who design, build and maintain the AI. Physicists, engineers, and so on.

Sure, if AI ends up smarter than every human ever and can maintain and upgrade itself then there would be no jobs, but I reckon sciency roles will be the last ones to go.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Keyhofi
The people who design, build and maintain the AI. Physicists, engineers, and so on.

Sure, if AI ends up smarter than every human ever and can maintain and upgrade itself then there would be no jobs, but I reckon sciency roles will be the last ones to go.

Well some argue that humans would turn to more "human-interaction" based jobs that computers can't replace, like acting, philosophy, arts, etc.
pole dancing
physics? engineering?
Greatguy simulator.

They hate me 'cause they ain't me.
Empathy, social skills, sports, being entertaining, communication anything which requires a human touch.

Once A.I. is cracked, things like mathematics, engineering and physics will be the first to go.

It will be funny laughing at the autists who used to claim they were STEM master race, until you realise you are STEM too
(edited 8 years ago)
Also people keep saying physicists and engineers. It's computer scientists who make the AI, morons!!
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by greatguy503
Also people keep saying physicists and engineers. It's computer scientists who make the AI, morons!!

Original post by Wewuz Hebrews
Empathy, social skills, sports, being entertaining, communication anything which requires a human touch.

Once A.I. is cracked, things like mathematics, engineering and physics will be the first to go.

It will be funny laughing at the autists who used to claim they were STEM master race, until you realise you are STEM too

Either way, I think the idea that everyone STEM will go is a bit naive because there have to be people there to understand and apply the knowledge that the singularity would give us.
Original post by High Stakes
Either way, I think the idea that everyone STEM will go is a bit naive because there have to be people there to understand and apply the knowledge that the singularity would give us.

in the short and medium term small numbers of extremely good jobs will be created, but the middle class will potentially contract.

In the long term artificial intelligence means just that, it's not simply machines executing scripts to perform tasks the middle class once carried out, they will program, build and maintain themselves.

The CEO might still be there, the prostitute will definitely still be there, but the engineer and the accountant will be collecting their P45's without doubt.
Original post by High Stakes
Well some argue that humans would turn to more "human-interaction" based jobs that computers can't replace, like acting, philosophy, arts, etc.

Possibly, but if AI can be programmed to be as intelligent as a human, then it definitely can be programmed to be as creative as one too.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending