The Student Room Group

What A-levels to choose?!

I don't know whether to take biology or chemistry for A level?
I love biology and I'm really really interested in it. I'm also better at biology at the moment(gcses). BUT, chemistry opens more doors for me, the a level looks easier to do well in, and the teachers are better at the school.

What should I take?
What other subjects you taking tho
Reply 2
Depends on the other subjects you choose... Can you not do both? I'm biased and say do bio because I love it but all my friends say Chem is awesome too
I will say do what you enjoy. Nothing is worse than studying something that don't like, in those cases students most likely underachieve.

So I guess for you it will be Biology. :h:
Reply 4
Original post by Youngmetro
What other subjects you taking tho

I'm taking French, maths, theology and then bio/chem
Reply 5
Original post by undercxver
I will say do what you enjoy. Nothing is worse than studying something that don't like, in those cases students most likely underachieve.

So I guess for you it will be Biology. :h:

I do enjoy biology but I'm worried that with all the work and coursework I'll hate it. My brother took it and got a U haha I don't wanna follow his footsteps
Reply 6
Original post by AfcFob
Depends on the other subjects you choose... Can you not do both? I'm biased and say do bio because I love it but all my friends say Chem is awesome too

I can't really I both. I'm not sure if i wanna commit to science and it would limit my other options: French theology maths
Original post by ¥niamh¥
I do enjoy biology but I'm worried that with all the work and coursework I'll hate it. My brother took it and got a U haha I don't wanna follow his footsteps

Look into the course, make sure you go to your potential college open day as they talk about what the course content involves. That way you'll see what you enjoy. When you get time research into it too.

Your brother may have a different perspective on Biology than you so you shouldn't base your opinion on that. :tongue:
Reply 8
What other subjects are you doing? It might be useful to consider how both Chemistry and Biology compliment your other subjects too. And you could always pick one now and if you change your mind when A Levels start, there's usually a small period when your college will let you swap to the other.

Also you have to think about what you are like in terms of academic attitude. You have to consider whether you'd see Chemistry as a chore because you didn't like it as much and therefore not put as much effort in therefore getting a worse grade. But then for Biology, would you start to lose interesting in something you enjoy or would you feel like your grade could be at risk because it is more difficult and that in turn seems like a chore.

Personally I'd say do what you enjoy. And maybe look through the specifications/ask people who've already done A Levels for what it's like. I did both of them at AS and ended up dropping Biology because I found myself hating it (and admittedly I found it really difficult which took a bit of enjoyment away for me)
Reply 9
Original post by mgill17
What other subjects are you doing? It might be useful to consider how both Chemistry and Biology compliment your other subjects too. And you could always pick one now and if you change your mind when A Levels start, there's usually a small period when your college will let you swap to the other.

Also you have to think about what you are like in terms of academic attitude. You have to consider whether you'd see Chemistry as a chore because you didn't like it as much and therefore not put as much effort in therefore getting a worse grade. But then for Biology, would you start to lose interesting in something you enjoy or would you feel like your grade could be at risk because it is more difficult and that in turn seems like a chore.

Personally I'd say do what you enjoy. And maybe look through the specifications/ask people who've already done A Levels for what it's like. I did both of them at AS and ended up dropping Biology because I found myself hating it (and admittedly I found it really difficult which took a bit of enjoyment away for me)

Thank you, I will definitely consider this. Btw the other subjects I'm doing are maths French theology. Do they compliment biology or chemistry in particular?
Original post by ¥niamh¥
Thank you, I will definitely consider this. Btw the other subjects I'm doing are maths French theology. Do they compliment biology or chemistry in particular?

I think you shouldnt bother with theology and do bio and chem. Maths bio chem and french go well together imo.
Reply 11
Original post by ¥niamh¥

I do maths and I find it compliments Chemistry really well but also a lot of people in my chemistry don't do maths and they're generally still fine. I've found my maths ability has shot up so much through A Level. There's not an awful lot of maths within biology except from the odd bit of stats so if you do go with Biology, ask if you can do the Stats unit within maths (although I wouldn't say stats is essential..it just *might* help). Maths is just useful to have for anything in my opinion anyway.

I'd say that too with languages. French sounds great. It's obviously not directly linked via content but maybe if you use it right in the future it could open up more job opportunities (like abroad). My old form teacher started out in accountancy and ended up working in Germany and France because she had A Levels in both.

Like youngmetro sort of hinted at, theology is the only subject that doesn't really "fit" but if you think you'd enjoy theology or if you're dead set on doing it don't let that stop you. I don't think it would actually hinder your other studies so it isn't hurting to do it. Above all just make sure you are enjoying your studies :smile:
Reply 12
Original post by mgill17
I do maths and I find it compliments Chemistry really well but also a lot of people in my chemistry don't do maths and they're generally still fine. I've found my maths ability has shot up so much through A Level. There's not an awful lot of maths within biology except from the odd bit of stats so if you do go with Biology, ask if you can do the Stats unit within maths (although I wouldn't say stats is essential..it just *might* help). Maths is just useful to have for anything in my opinion anyway.

I'd say that too with languages. French sounds great. It's obviously not directly linked via content but maybe if you use it right in the future it could open up more job opportunities (like abroad). My old form teacher started out in accountancy and ended up working in Germany and France because she had A Levels in both.

Like youngmetro sort of hinted at, theology is the only subject that doesn't really "fit" but if you think you'd enjoy theology or if you're dead set on doing it don't let that stop you. I don't think it would actually hinder your other studies so it isn't hurting to do it. Above all just make sure you are enjoying your studies :smile:

Thankyiu, this really helps. I know theology doesn't really fit but I kinda wanted to keep that kind of path open. Theology is probably what I'm most interested in. Maths I'm good at and French I enjoy. Thanks for this advice though :smile:))
Reply 13
I think you shouldnt bother with theology and do bio and chem. Maths bio chem and french go well together imo.

Thanks but I really emjoy theology, and I wouldn't be able to cope with bio AND chem. Thanks for the advice though
Original post by ¥niamh¥
Thanks but I really emjoy theology, and I wouldn't be able to cope with bio AND chem. Thanks for the advice though

what do you wanna do in future?
Reply 15
what do you wanna do in future?

Live abroad. Maybe a job in travel. I'd like to go to uni definitely, not sure about the subject though that's the thing. I'd either do a sciencey thing or theology/French thing ygm

Quick Reply

Latest