The Student Room Group

My uni offer is dependent on a GCSE grade

Hi guys,

I couldn't find an answer anywhere else and was hoping somebody would be able to answer my question. My university offer is dependent on me getting a grade B in GCSE maths, as well as some A level grades. Will I find out if I've got into my course on A level results day or will I have to wait until GCSE results are released a week after? Also will this mean I will miss clearing and also won't be able to accept my insurance choice (my insurance choice is only dependent on my A level grades) as I will still be waiting to see if I got the grade in my GCSE maths for my firm.

Hi. What course are you doing? If it is maths based then it might be important however I should see why it should be dependent - unless it is a university that focuses on GCSEs too. And you will find out on A Level or GCSE results day as that's when universities accept you. However if you did it with CIE then it is released on the same day I think?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by jelsom
Hi guys,

I couldn't find an answer anywhere else and was hoping somebody would be able to answer my question. My university offer is dependent on me getting a grade B in GCSE maths, as well as some A level grades. Will I find out if I've got into my course on A level results day or will I have to wait until GCSE results are released a week after? Also will this mean I will miss clearing and also won't be able to accept my insurance choice (my insurance choice is only dependent on my A level grades) as I will still be waiting to see if I got the grade in my GCSE maths for my firm.

You'll find out when you get your gcse result. You can't accept your insurance choice until your firm rejects you and as for clearing its likely many places will be gone by gcse results day.
Original post by jelsom
Hi guys,

No, you will have to wait until GCSE results day, and you will have to contact the university yourself with the GCSE result because they are not automatically sent, as A levels are. I'm afraid you will be delayed into Clearing if it should come to it that both universities reject you. However, if you miss your GCSE result but not your A levels, your insurance place will be confirmed automatically once your firm processes the rejection.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by Carnationlilyrose
No, you will have to wait until GCSE results day, and you will have to contact the university yourself with the GCSE result because they are not automatically sent, as A levels are. I'm afraid you will be delayed into Clearing if it should come to it that both universities reject you. However, if you miss your GCSE result but not your A levels, your insurance place will be confirmed automatically once your firm processes the rejection.

That answers everything. Thank you! :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by claireestelle
You'll find out when you get your gcse result. You can't accept your insurance choice until your firm rejects you and as for clearing its likely many places will be gone by gcse results day.

Okay, thank you for your help

Quick Reply