The Student Room Group

Shocking tweets against Jamie Vardie's 1 yr old daughter

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Roxy1331
First I thought you were going a bit to far with the prison sentence suggestion. After reading the tweet, I wouldn't hesitate with giving them 10 years!

Well its a good thing you arent a judge, youd be useless.
Original post by Olie
Totally agree, if you went up to someone in the street and threatened to rape their baby you'd be breaking the law and arrested and rightly so, so why should this be any different because it's on the internet? I hope they manage to find the sick bastard, the tweets in question aren't just your run of the mill troll comment, they're revoltingly vile and disturbing, some people may not believe it should be a matter for the police to deal with because of it being 'just the internet' and trolls rarely mean what they say. But I think it absolutely should be for the police to deal with, if people like this guy are made an example of then maybe others will think twice before posting stuff like this, offline or online, no-one should have to put up with this crap for posting an innocent photo of your baby daughter.

Totally agree, excellent comment.

The internet is no longer some world off in the aether, our lives are very much integrated with it and what you do online is simply your actions carried out electronically. You shouldn't get a lesser sentence if you robbed a bank electronically than if you burrowed under the bank vault and pinched the money through a hole in the floor.

Equally, I'd say these comments really were at the extreme end of the sort of things we might see people say online. I don't think someone should ever be criminalised just for being offensive, but threatening to rape someone's 1 year old daughter is obscene and justifiably criminalised both online and offline.
Original post by Lawbringer
Well its a good thing you arent a judge, youd be useless.

I actually agree. My emotions will cause me to be biased. And that was an exaggeration if you didn't notice... :colonhash:
Original post by BeastOfSyracuse
Totally agree, excellent comment.

The internet is no longer some world off in the aether, our lives are very much integrated with it and what you do online is simply your actions carried out electronically. You shouldn't get a lesser sentence if you robbed a bank electronically than if you burrowed under the bank vault and pinched the money through a hole in the floor.

Equally, I'd say these comments really were at the extreme end of the sort of things we might see people say online. I don't think someone should ever be criminalised just for being offensive, but threatening to rape someone's 1 year old daughter is obscene and justifiably criminalised both online and offline.

That's the key issue and that's why freedom of speech is no defense in this case.

If there were terrorists plotting online to commit some atrocious act of mass murder and the security services were to catch them before any act of violence were committed, freedom of speech would not be an adequate defense.
Sickening that something like that would cross anyone's mind let alone actually posting it.
Original post by Alesha1991
Sickening that something like that would cross anyone's mind let alone actually posting it.

Welcome to the internet.
Internet trolls infuriate me. I am part of hardly any online communities anymore because of how twisted people are. They don't think about their actions and how seriously they can affect people. Youtube comments are an absolute mess, I don't dare go on anything like reddit or heaven forbid...4chan. I left bodybuilding ages ago as it's a complete cesspit, I deleted twitter and snapchat as I don't just don't want to see trolling or people being horrible to eachother anymore (doesn't really apply to SC).
Ikr.
Original post by DiddyDec
In the grand scheme it is hardly shocking.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Only because it's psychologically distant for you. Wait until you have a precious child of your own, and see how you react emotionally when someone threatens to rape your young child.

The fact that it was 'just a troll' is no justification.
Original post by Twinpeaks
Only because it's psychologically distant for you. Wait until you have a precious child of your own, and see how you react emotionally when someone threatens to rape your young child.

The fact that it was 'just a troll' is no justification.

Still doesn't make it shocking as the title suggests.
Still doesn't make it shocking as the title suggests.

"Shocking" is a subjective state.
And besides, the fact that the majority of posts in this thread appear to agree that it is shocking, and you are a minority, seems to suggest that it can in fact be considered "shocking".

It doesn't surprise me at all that you don't find this shocking though to be fair. I got you sussed bro.
Original post by iEthan
I use it :frown:---Truly vile though, why are people so disgusting? :/

A lot of people on Twitter (or the internet in general) seem to think that because you're anonymous (if you choose to be) you're allowed to just post whatever you want to whoever you want and get away with it, no matter how bad or abusive it is.

@KingBradly sort of has a point though imo, I do find it weird when people post pictures of their kids on the internet.

Original post by Dinasaurus
Those comments are abhorrent people take football way too seriously if they think supporting a different team justifies that.

That's not the reason why he's done it. MU and Leicester are not rivals. He's done it to get a bite, probably just some school kid who hasn't thought this through and thinks it's just 'banter'. He's deleted his account now so probably shitting himself.
It doesn't surprise me at all that you don't find this shocking though to be fair. I got you sussed bro.

Do tell, bro.
Do tell, bro.

You always downplay such things bro.
Cute kid, but **** me there's trolling and there's that level of depravity. "I'll finger her till she bleeds" etc. Who the **** comes out with something like that? Publicly named and shamed IMO, have to apologies in person to Vardy and his family with cameras rolling. Waste of time locking them up, things will sort themselves out once everyone knows who the nonces are. Though if you wanted to scare them, that sounds like direct threats of carrying out child sexual abuse, send the coppers round to shake them up.
You always downplay such things bro.

Well **** in my pocket, that was a boring conclusion.
Some very sad people around
Well the person(s) got the 15 minutes of fame they craved. Sunderland fans are now gonna pull off a sick chant on Saturday thinking that'll unsettle the title chargers which they host... their team will get beaten on the pitch, half the Sunderland fans will get banned and their club will go down...
(edited 7 years ago)
Well **** in my pocket, that was a boring conclusion.

What did you expect?
What did you expect?

Something with a little more je ne sais quoi.

Quick Reply

Latest