The Student Room Group

what does a graduate software engineer at Bloomberg earn?

Bloomberg got back to me 6 months after i made my application asking to interview me in 2 weeks. i also have my first exam in 2 weeks.

i already have an offer from a big name company (£37K) - that's a lot of money, and i want more of that sh*t.

i just want to know if it's worth dedicating any time to preparing for this or if i should just freestyle it. a friend of mine from uni is telling me Bloomberg is £40K guaranteed. can anyone confirm whether or not this is this the case?
Reply 1
Original post by El Chapo Jr.
Bloomberg got back to me 6 months after i made my application asking to interview me in 2 weeks. i also have my first exam in 2 weeks.

i already have an offer from a big name company (£37K) - that's a lot of money, and i want more of that sh*t.

i just want to know if it's worth dedicating any time to preparing for this or if i should just freestyle it. a friend of mine from uni is telling me Bloomberg is £40K guaranteed. can anyone confirm whether or not this is this the case?

You can view the salary range for any company and jobs at GlassDoor (scroll down to software engineer).
Original post by kkboyk
You can view the salary range for any company and jobs at GlassDoor (scroll down to software engineer).
ah, for some reason i never noticed the min-max range on glassdoor. thanks.

if it's a tie at 37K then i might aswell just freestyle it. nothing to lose.
Reply 3
Don't pick the job based on starting salary. Pick it based on the salary that they'll likely give you after five/ten years on the job, or because of training they give you which will enable you to switch companies and make the big bucks. A lot of jobs start off at 30k and then lead to nearly 70k in five or the years time. A lot of jobs start off at £35k and only lead to 50k in the years time.
(edited 8 years ago)
what trapz sais otherwise its schooboy error. Explain you have an exam and look for a reschedule after.
good point, but i have no intentions of staying at either company for 5-10 years. i'll do my 2-3 years then off to the next one (this is how real G's maximise earnings).

scheduling anything to a later date is suicide, i'll get an e-mail a couple of days before telling me the vacancy has been filled rofl.
Reply 6
good point, but i have no intentions of staying at either company for 5-10 years. i'll do my 2-3 years then off to the next one (this is how real G's maximise earnings).

scheduling anything to a later date is suicide, i'll get an e-mail a couple of days before telling me the vacancy has been filled rofl.

How much do you expect to earn when you're 30 and when you're 25?
Original post by Trapz99
How much do you expect to earn when you're 30 and when you're 25?
55-60K by 25, 100K by 30, retire by 45 once i've set up my weed/coffee shop franchise in amsterdam. those are the targets. me and a friend are working on an iOS app that is guaranteed to be a hit (could make us billionaires by 25 who knows).

you aren't living the el chapo lifestyle until you're stepping out of a rolls royce with a chinchilla on your back, a £60K rolex and 2 anacondas on your feet.

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

(edited 8 years ago)
55-60K by 25, 100K by 30, retire by 45 once i've set up my weed/coffee shop franchise in amsterdam. those are the targets. me and a friend are working on an iOS app that is guaranteed to be a hit (could make us billionaires by 25 who knows).

you aren't living the el chapo lifestyle until you're stepping out of a rolls royce with chinchilla on your back, a £60K rolex and 2 anacondas on your feet.

Have you not considered quant hedge funds or prop trading firms? They tend to have pretty solid comp figures for software engineers.

£100k by 30 is only going to be possible if you either a) move to the US with a job at a top tech company (or nab one here/in Zurich), b) do some side consulting, c) bargain like a mofo and switch jobs every 2 years.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Princepieman
Have you not considered quant hedge funds or prop trading firms? They tend to have pretty solid comp figures for software engineers.

£100k by 30 is only going to be possible if you either a) move to the US with a job at a top tech company (or nab one here/in Zurich), b) do some side consulting, c) bargain like a mofo and switch jobs every 2 years.

Posted from TSR Mobile
not this time around, but hedge funds and dealers will be on my radar. i do want to get into quant development/algo trading a few years down the line; it'll be hard without a PHD or some good experience.

collecting pounds of currency like el chapo collected pounds of cocaine.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 10

you aren't living the el chapo lifestyle until you're stepping out of a rolls royce with a chinchilla on your back, a £60K rolex and 2 anacondas on your feet.

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

You should drop all that software development stuff and become a comedian instead.
Original post by ahpadt
You should drop all that software development stuff and become a comedian instead.
lol they all think its a joke.

"you won't earn more than 30K working in tech, troll"

"you won't get an offer from an IB if you're not in a top 10 uni, troll"

then when the offers start rolling through and the numbers get finalised, they realise i'm not f*cking around here... i will taste that grass-fed beef steak diet and you can bet your ass i'll run my own weed/coffee shop franchise before i'm 50. the el chapo lifestyle is something special.
(edited 8 years ago)
lol they all think its a joke.

"you won't earn more than 30K working in tech, troll"

"you won't get an offer from an IB if you're not in a top 10 uni, troll"

then when the offers start rolling through and the numbers get finalised, they realise i'm not f*cking around here... i will taste that grass-fed beef steak diet and you can bet your ass i'll run my own weed/coffee shop franchise before i'm 50. the el chapo lifestyle is something special.

LOOOOOOL. Gotta commend you for the effort to keep up this persona.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Princepieman
LOOOOOOL. Gotta commend you for the effort to keep up this persona.

Posted from TSR Mobile

He's just copying Conor McGregor, he could at least create his own persona.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Does anyone actually have the answer for op's answer? Asking for a friend.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending