The Student Room Group

who loves maths?

Scroll to see replies

I suppose I should like maths since we do so much of the discrete stuff in theory class. :hmmmm:
Original post by EnglishMuon
Dont joke about that stuff, S3,4 is responsible many mental health issues caused each year :wink: My maths teacher told me of 'the legend of the boy who tried to take S3'. Apparently noone he could find taught it in my county so he travelled for 40 mins every weekend for some special tuition by some retired teacher. This kept up for 3 months. He then ended up dropping further maths altogether before exams :tongue:

S3 is actually not so bad, Mr. M4/5 boy. :tongue:
Original post by Zacken
S3 is actually not so bad, Mr. M4/5 boy. :tongue:

Fair enough XD. So you're doing S3?
Fair enough XD. So you're doing S3?

Yep! :biggrin:
Original post by Zacken
Yep! :biggrin:

nice! Do you have to use that funny table of random numbers in this module or is that in the later ones?
nice! Do you have to use that funny table of random numbers in this module or is that in the later ones?

Well, you use it in one silly textbook question but you'd never be asked to use it in the exam.
Original post by Zacken
Well, you use it in one silly textbook question but you'd never be asked to use it in the exam.

aah ok. I was talking to a family friend the other day who was telling me about probability theory and measure. It sounds quite interesting actually, hopefully Ill learn more about it sometime :smile:
aah ok. I was talking to a family friend the other day who was telling me about probability theory and measure. It sounds quite interesting actually, hopefully Ill learn more about it sometime :smile:

Yeah, this is how probability goes: :lol:

Prob at school -> prob at uni first uear -> wait what why is everything pure again?
Original post by Zacken

Prob at school -> prob at uni first uear -> wait what why is everything pure again?

Haha maybe! What was quite funny is that when that same friend did their part III (back in the 80s I think), they took all the applied modules like quantum field theory etc. but they were only happy after studying the pure maths behind it. What they didnt realise is that they ended up covering all the pure 'modules' in this process and ended up taking the applied exams they hadnt fully revised for.
Original post by Zacken

I'm waiting until I get to this stage, so I can just laugh at how much I suffered with probability.
Original post by Zacken

Can testify...although Warwick's treatment is particularly bizarre
Original post by 1 8 13 20 42
Can testify...although Warwick's treatment is particularly bizarre

lol bizarre in what way?
lol bizarre in what way?

The given text is rather disorganised and disorientating, though serviceable, and the lectures are even moreso. I went to about 3/30 because I just had no idea what was going on, so much set theory which I don't think was even difficult (I've caught up for the most part via the text and it all seems doable) but was hardly explained. They would go through crazily random examples, and there seemed to be a big disconnect between the theory and the actual questions, like there'd be a load of set stuff and then the question would be answered in just the same fashion as we'd answer it at A level. All the maths department stuff, except maybe Differential Equations, has been really nicely delivered imo, but Statistics do Probability and there's a definite dip in standard I'd say..it's probably just an anomaly though
Original post by 1 8 13 20 42
The given text is rather disorganised and disorientating, though serviceable, and the lectures are even moreso. I went to about 3/30 because I just had no idea what was going on, so much set theory which I don't think was even difficult (I've caught up for the most part via the text and it all seems doable) but was hardly explained. They would go through crazily random examples, and there seemed to be a big disconnect between the theory and the actual questions, like there'd be a load of set stuff and then the question would be answered in just the same fashion as we'd answer it at A level. All the maths department stuff, except maybe Differential Equations, has been really nicely delivered imo, but Statistics do Probability and there's a definite dip in standard I'd say..it's probably just an anomaly though

Ah that's unfortunate, good luck with the rest of the course though!
Gotta be my favourite subject at A-Level! Not liking vectors in m1 though :frown:
Original post by meediaabid
I love maths! C2 is a bitch, though C3 and C4 will probably be worse

I'm in A2 and I don't find C3/C4 to be too bad. I actually got 81 UMS in C1, but i'm re-sitting it alongside just to max my total marks. Done some practices recently and I could finish them in 20 mins and get full marks. Honestly you'll look back at C1/C2 and reckon you could have done it in your sleep.
im going to do A level Maths because maths is my life. Without maths I wouldn't live which means I wont be writing on TSR:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest