The Student Room Group

were they allowed to screw up my photography grade?

so last year i done AS photography and we done 3 projects for this. I worked in A3 sketchbooks as advised and my work was layed out neat in the order told. I did not show up to the last lesson due to illness and was told during that lesson everyone had to rip out the pages from their sketchbooks and but these pages into a clear wallet folder to help all of our classes work look presentable and similar to the examiners. Because I wasn't there during the lesson the teacher who isn't so fond of me done this transfer for me without my permission. I got an E grade and was not happy with this as was previously told my work was about a C grade. I have decided to resit some of the units this year along size my A2 photography work. I recently seen my projects in these clear folders and it is all upside down, in a weird order and looks a confusing mess. I feel this obviously affected my grade. I dont feel this shouldve been allowed to happen and the teachers have told me the only thing i can do is resit and hope for the best. what would you do
Reply 1
Get your mum or someone to ring up the school to speak to your head teacher or whatever about how upset you are and how concerned she is.
Original post by Elfqueen1
so last year i done AS photography and we done 3 projects for this. I worked in A3 sketchbooks as advised and my work was layed out neat in the order told. I did not show up to the last lesson due to illness and was told during that lesson everyone had to rip out the pages from their sketchbooks and but these pages into a clear wallet folder to help all of our classes work look presentable and similar to the examiners. Because I wasn't there during the lesson the teacher who isn't so fond of me done this transfer for me without my permission. I got an E grade and was not happy with this as was previously told my work was about a C grade. I have decided to resit some of the units this year along size my A2 photography work. I recently seen my projects in these clear folders and it is all upside down, in a weird order and looks a confusing mess. I feel this obviously affected my grade. I dont feel this shouldve been allowed to happen and the teachers have told me the only thing i can do is resit and hope for the best. what would you do

regardless of whether it should or should not have happened (I agree they should not have interferred with the work you submitted) the time to challenge it and make any appeal to examiners is long gone and if you want a better grade you need to resit.
Reply 3
Think its far too late to change it - although you could complain about the teacher if you wished.

I guess you've learnt the lesson that you need to do it for yourself. Even if you were ill, as soon as you are better, you need to go in and sort it out for yourself.
Original post by gdunne42
regardless of whether it should or should not have happened (I agree they should not have interferred with the work you submitted) the time to challenge it and make any appeal to examiners is long gone and if you want a better grade you need to resit.

The messed up order is standard for a portfolio that has been moderated by examiners. It'll have been fine when it was first seen. They just took it out of the wallets and didn't spend the time putting it back as it was, because they have a lot to get through and when they have seen it, they have seen it. And as you rightly say, it's not going to change now anyway.
Original post by Carnationlilyrose
The messed up order is standard for a portfolio that has been moderated by examiners. It'll have been fine when it was first seen. They just took it out of the wallets and didn't spend the time putting it back as it was, because they have a lot to get through and when they have seen it, they have seen it. And as you rightly say, it's not going to change now anyway.

good point.
the OP is under the impression that their teacher messed up their work when it's more likely you are right and it is was probably when it was moderated.
Original post by gdunne42
good point.
the OP is under the impression that their teacher messed up their work when it's more likely you are right and it is was probably when it was moderated.

My experience has been (or rather, my son's and other art students who post on here) that you always get your portfolio back all messed up. I suspect they almost do it on purpose, just to prove it's been looked at. Also, they hate plastic wallets because of the time it takes to take them out.
Reply 7
My experience has been (or rather, my son's and other art students who post on here) that you always get your portfolio back all messed up. I suspect they almost do it on purpose, just to prove it's been looked at. Also, they hate plastic wallets because of the time it takes to take them out.

Plastic wallets :grumble:

I agree with what you've said - it's more likely the moderators.

I'm not an art one, but I think I die a little bit inside when I get a portfolio where every page is in a plastic wallet.
Original post by Pixsoul
Plastic wallets :grumble:

I agree with what you've said - it's more likely the moderators.

I'm not an art one, but I think I die a little bit inside when I get a portfolio where every page is in a plastic wallet.

I have enjoyed many a long essay where every page is in its own separate wallet so I have to remove and replace every single one to mark it.

The guidance I have had on art portfolios says our loathing of them is shared by admissions tutors also, and not to use them.
Reply 9
I have enjoyed many a long essay where every page is in its own separate wallet so I have to remove and replace every single one to mark it.

The guidance I have had on art portfolios says our loathing of them is shared by admissions tutors also, and not to use them.

Urrgh. I understand why people want to use them, but it does make things far more time consuming from a marking perspective. Although saying that, I had one today all in wallets, which was fine in terms of marking (because it was all done electronically), but it had to be scanned so it could be sent to a colleague for internal moderation. Spent a good hour just removing pages from the wallets because the portfolios are so big.

Grumbling aside, plastic wallets are not your friend.
Original post by Pixsoul
Urrgh. I understand why people want to use them, but it does make things far more time consuming from a marking perspective. Although saying that, I had one today all in wallets, which was fine in terms of marking (because it was all done electronically), but it had to be scanned so it could be sent to a colleague for internal moderation. Spent a good hour just removing pages from the wallets because the portfolios are so big.

Grumbling aside, plastic wallets are not your friend.

No, they aren't. It tends to be the more meticulous students who use them and they have usually written twice as much as they need to.
No, they aren't. It tends to be the more meticulous students who use them and they have usually written twice as much as they need to.

Aye, although I gets fair few who try to make their files look bigger by using them (as well as size 16+ font) :tongue:
Original post by Pixsoul
Aye, although I gets fair few who try to make their files look bigger by using them (as well as size 16+ font) :tongue:

In bold, and double spaced.

Quick Reply

Latest