The Student Room Group

What do you guys want to do when your older?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Another
What do you enjoy doing?

Who/what inspires you?

You answer both questions.
Original post by Youngmetro
inb4 200 TSR people say 'i wanna be an investment banker'

Do you have a fetish or? IB is a job bro, there are other jobs out there too

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Princepieman
Do you have a fetish or? IB is a job bro, there are other jobs out there too

Posted from TSR Mobile

I personally dont wanna be one. Im just pointing out that quite a few do want to become one hence why there is a dedicated section on TSR to it lol
Original post by nisha.sri
That is true ... Why don't you research a little on jobs and stuff ? :wink:

I have but i find it boring.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Truthseeker3
I have but i find it boring.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Haha Ok :smile: :biggrin:
I personally dont wanna be one. Im just pointing out that quite a few do want to become one hence why there is a dedicated section on TSR to it lol

There's a dedicated section to: finance and accountancy, PR, Marketing etc, Public Service, Technology, Engineering + Science. Don't really see the point you're trying to make.. It just so happens that the IB forum gets the most traffic as it's more UK/EU focused than Wall Street Oasis.

And fyi, not all bankers have 'shitty' lives.

Posted from TSR Mobile
high end jewellery dealer
There's a dedicated section to: finance and accountancy, PR, Marketing etc, Public Service, Technology, Engineering + Science. Don't really see the point you're trying to make.. It just so happens that the IB forum gets the most traffic as it's more UK/EU focused than Wall Street Oasis.

And fyi, not all bankers have 'shitty' lives.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes i understand that, but there seems to be some form of IB thread popping up every week or even more often than that. My point simply was that a lot of people want to become an investment banker. (I'll admit it did even appeal to me for a bit)

Come on, 70hrs working a week doing all nighters and sometimes even working in the weekend seems pretty shitty. Heard some guy even jumped of that big JP Morgan building in Canary Wharf cos of it :s-smilie:
haven't decided yet, then again I'm only 60
Yes i understand that, but there seems to be some form of IB thread popping up every week or even more often than that. My point simply was that a lot of people want to become an investment banker. (I'll admit it did even appeal to me for a bit)

Come on, 70hrs working a week doing all nighters and sometimes even working in the weekend seems pretty shitty. Heard some guy even jumped of that big JP Morgan building in Canary Wharf cos of it :s-smilie:

Traders only work 55-60 hours a week. Yes, bankers start off working a lot but averages down after some years of seniority. Most people only use IBD as a stepping stone to better paying/better lifestyle jobs.

Yeah, for every person who jumps off a building there are 100s of people loving their jobs and making money. Don't forget, Doctors have the highest suicide rate of any profession; now, tell me why they aren't described as having 'shitty' lives.
PRSOM. No doubt you'll reach your goal bud, you Daniel and some of the other upcoming peeps in the IB forum have loads of potential.

If you're referring to me then thank you so much! That's such a nice compliment :smile: made my day lol XD if you weren't referring to me then I'll try harder hahaha!
Im sure though you will become one! I've heard that you already have contacts and you seem like a driven individual and you definitely know a bucket load of information about investment banking!

I really do hope to become one :smile: after a few years working in an investment bank, preferably as a trader, I would like to move on to a hedge fund and gain experience as well as save a lot of money to create my own hedge fund.

If I am unable to do that then probably a chartered accountant would be my plan B haha.

I don't understand why people actually hate investment bankers. I understand that they get a lot of money and loads are pretty cocky but its not like they sit around and earn money without doing anything. They work for hours and a lot do all nighters.
Being an Investment Banker is a massive achievement and I think that anyone who is lucky enough to get a job offer should be incredibly proud of themselves!

Posted from TSR Mobile

There are some IBs that can manage their time well, are organised, can handle the pressure (this is the main thing), are able to spend their money wisely etc. These are likely to be the IBs that will not have a shitty life.
There are IBs that are opposite to this and are likely to not have the best life. They would probably be kicked out anyway for slacking lol!

My point is most jobs can lead to 'shitty' lives if the person isn't fit for the job. A person who can't handle pressure and is trying to find a job as an Investment Banker or a Doctor is like a person wanting to become a teacher even though they hate kids!

Posted from TSR Mobile
a geologist, probably focussing on volcanoes or tectonic activity :smile: hopefully i'll be able to travel too
WWE wrestler
Original post by trustmeimlying1
You answer both questions.

But... but I already know I want to be a surgeon :'< Surgeons inspire me. I enjoy knowing that I have the power to alter how another person lives for the rest of their lives.

I'm not a psychopath, I promise you.

Original post by Truthseeker3
I enjoy abit of each maths, physics and history. But i dont know i get bored of stuff real quick. I think there is nothing i find interesting, apart from movies and games which everyone likes as it is not work

Einstein, Richard Feynman, Leonardo Da Vinci, Nikola Tesla, Heroes in movies, ....

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

If the thing that links all your heroes together is a position of power and expertise, you can get that with almost any job. I'd say try and make a career out of maths/physics, depending on which field you like working with the most

(Or, do what I did. Looked up a list of the most well paying jobs, then selected the one I could tolerate the most)
Traders only work 55-60 hours a week. Yes, bankers start off working a lot but averages down after some years of seniority. Most people only use IBD as a stepping stone to better paying/better lifestyle jobs.

Yeah, for every person who jumps off a building there are 100s of people loving their jobs and making money. Don't forget, Doctors have the highest suicide rate of any profession; now, tell me why they aren't described as having 'shitty' lives.

I certainly do see the appeal in banking but there's just so much competition for it. I'll admit that my dismissal for banking wasn't fully thought out but even then I struggle to see why it is such an appealing career for so many people. You seem to be very knowledgeable but I suspect many won't be and only attracted to the ridiculous salary packages and bonuses the job offers.

Yeah, some bankers may love their jobs but many investment bankers dont because of long hours etc, and as you said, they move to other jobs. I guess in the long term, bankers can have happy lives but compared to many other jobs, they do have very stressful and demanding jobs which many simply arent cut out for.

Doctors at least get job satisfaction by doing something meaningful in life unlike bankers (yep, i said it :biggrin:)
Original post by DamnDaniel2
There are some IBs that can manage their time well, are organised, can handle the pressure (this is the main thing), are able to spend their money wisely etc. These are likely to be the IBs that will not have a shitty life.
There are IBs that are opposite to this and are likely to not have the best life. They would probably be kicked out anyway for slacking lol!

My point is most jobs can lead to 'shitty' lives if the person isn't fit for the job. A person who can't handle pressure and is trying to find a job as an Investment Banker or a Doctor is like a person wanting to become a teacher even though they hate kids!

Posted from TSR Mobile

I dont wanna seem like im hating on your dream job (and Princepieman)

Just that IB does have much more stress compared to other jobs. Like literally there are stories of people who dont sleep for two days. Its just such a demanding job with so much stress compared to other jobs. I guess all jobs can end up being 'shitty' jobs but IB is notorious for it
Original post by nisha.sri
Tell me about it lol.. it's really interesting we learn about phobias,agression,illusion :biggrin:, perception,criminals and behaviours :smile: Hope you enjoy it haha x

Out of interest, do you learn about different psychological perspectives like behaviourism, psychodynamic, social learning theory etc?
Original post by Another
But... but I already know I want to be a surgeon :'< Surgeons inspire me. I enjoy knowing that I have the power to alter how another person lives for the rest of their lives.

I'm not a psychopath, I promise you.

If the thing that links all your heroes together is a position of power and expertise, you can get that with almost any job. I'd say try and make a career out of maths/physics, depending on which field you like working with the most

(Or, do what I did. Looked up a list of the most well paying jobs, then selected the one I could tolerate the most)

a dental surgeon?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending