The Student Room Group

revision techniques? :s

Hey guys I am currently in year 11 so GCSEs are coming up pretty fast.
I was wondering if anyone had any good revision techniques. So far i've mainly been doing past papers for sciences and notes for other subjects but i'm kind of stressing since they are coming up quite quickly!
I would really like to aim high but understand that not every subject is it realistic to get an A (cough german cough)
Also if anyone has any tips for english revision I would be SO thankful. I'm studying Northanger Abbey, All My Sons and poems by Thomas Hardy
Original post by Ellaramsay_
Hey guys I am currently in year 11 so GCSEs are coming up pretty fast.
I was wondering if anyone had any good revision techniques. So far i've mainly been doing past papers for sciences and notes for other subjects but i'm kind of stressing since they are coming up quite quickly!
I would really like to aim high but understand that not every subject is it realistic to get an A (cough german cough)
Also if anyone has any tips for english revision I would be SO thankful. I'm studying Northanger Abbey, All My Sons and poems by Thomas Hardy

Hi.

A good method of revising for your English exam is to do it thematically. So look for similar themes running through each novel and a selection of the poetry. Love/hate/betrayal/travelling etc.. then highlight sections that can be compared and contrasted in each text.
You would then need to look for a few select quotes that really emphasise the theme you are focusing ond try to memorise a couple from each text.

In addition to this look at past exam papers and note how the questions are worded. Try to pick out WHAT KEY INFORMATION they want. Then see if you can apply your themes to those kinds of questions.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by redmel1621
Hi.

A good method of revising for your English exam is to do it thematically. So look for similar themes running through each novel and a selection of the poetry. Love/hate/betrayal/travelling etc.. then highlight sections that can be compared and contrasted in each text.
You would then need to look for a few select quotes that really emphasise the theme you are focusing ond try to memorise a couple from each text.

In addition to this look at past exam papers and note how the questions are worded. Try to pick out WHAT KEY INFORMATION they want. Then see if you can apply your themes to those kinds of questions.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you for replying so quickly!
I will definitely try that out. So you just put headings such as betrayal and write some quotes underneath and expand on the point?
hey guys just wanted to know how to revise for omam and inspector calls.
Thank you for replying so quickly!
I will definitely try that out. So you just put headings such as betrayal and write some quotes underneath and expand on the point?

I would list the main themes of each text.. get a post it note and stick it on the front of the text. You will find it easier and quicker to cross reference the similar themes then

You could then work through by putting a heading then list the characters involved, who betrays who (are they all male betrayers - can you link that to a patriarchal society?)
How is the betrayed character affected, do they react/want revenge/accept it etc... (you can easily contrast points like that)
Then find quotes to back up those points...

Then use Pee style notes... make your point, give your evidence (quote if possible or paraphrase) the explain and expand...

Then link that to another text... how is it the same/different in the other text. Why might that be?

Posted from TSR Mobile
which poems do you do by Hardy? :smile:
Reply 6
I made posters about key concepts and put them up all over my room. Also, instead of writing out full English essays I made a mind map plan. Hope that helps, good luck & always aim high! Xxx
Reply 7
Original post by caitlinford3
which poems do you do by Hardy? :smile:

Ugh so many:
The Darkling Thrush
Neutral Tones
I look into my glass
Drummer Hodge
On the Departure Platform
The Convergence of the Twain
The Pine Planters
The Going
The Voice
At the Word 'Farewell'
During Wind and Rain
In Time of 'The Breaking of Nations'
No Buyers
Nobody Comes
Reply 8
Original post by lou_16
I made posters about key concepts and put them up all over my room. Also, instead of writing out full English essays I made a mind map plan. Hope that helps, good luck & always aim high! Xxx

Oooo okay i'll try putting them in my room! Thank you!
Reply 9
Original post by redmel1621
I would list the main themes of each text.. get a post it note and stick it on the front of the text. You will find it easier and quicker to cross reference the similar themes then

You could then work through by putting a heading then list the characters involved, who betrays who (are they all male betrayers - can you link that to a patriarchal society?)
How is the betrayed character affected, do they react/want revenge/accept it etc... (you can easily contrast points like that)
Then find quotes to back up those points...

Then use Pee style notes... make your point, give your evidence (quote if possible or paraphrase) the explain and expand...

Then link that to another text... how is it the same/different in the other text. Why might that be?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ah that sounds okay. Thank you I will definitely try that!
Any ideas about how i could revise English Language?
Ugh so many:
The Darkling Thrush
Neutral Tones
I look into my glass
Drummer Hodge
On the Departure Platform
The Convergence of the Twain
The Pine Planters
The Going
The Voice
At the Word 'Farewell'
During Wind and Rain
In Time of 'The Breaking of Nations'
No Buyers
Nobody Comes

oh shame I can't help you there! I haven't studied any of them - good luck though :smile:
Original post by shaylee123
hey guys just wanted to know how to revise for omam and inspector calls.

For oman you should go through the novel and take out any quotes that you think would be helpful, also try linking them to a character or theme. Also think about why steinbeck would've done that.
Original post by caitlinford3
oh shame I can't help you there! I haven't studied any of them - good luck though :smile:

Ah no worries thank you!

Quick Reply

Latest