The Student Room Group

Home care assistant

I'm thinking of applying for a job as a home care assistant just wondering what your experiences are doing this job. It's when you go to the old peoples home to care for them etc
I work as a care assistant in the community. I just work part time around school. Is there anything specific u want to know?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I've worked 8 months part-time (and full-time during holidays) as a nurse auxiliary and now I've been working over 1.5 year as a care assistant in a residential care home. All that whilst being a full-time student at the university. Haven't worked in community yet but moving up to Glasgow in July for my Masters and will be doing community care around my studies there. However, I'm working now with a lot of people that have done community care and my boyfriend tried it as well. What would you want to know? :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by mssmuppet
I work as a care assistant in the community. I just work part time around school. Is there anything specific u want to know?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by lastlullabyy
I've worked 8 months part-time (and full-time during holidays) as a nurse auxiliary and now I've been working over 1.5 year as a care assistant in a residential care home. All that whilst being a full-time student at the university. Haven't worked in community yet but moving up to Glasgow in July for my Masters and will be doing community care around my studies there. However, I'm working now with a lot of people that have done community care and my boyfriend tried it as well. What would you want to know? :smile:

Hi guys, I got the job just waiting for my induction on friday now. I'm just a bit worried about the personal care aspect like bathing and showering them, what is the best way to do it? Also how many clients do you see everyday, i'm going to be doing this job full time :smile:
Original post by thestars
Hi guys, I got the job just waiting for my induction on friday now. I'm just a bit worried about the personal care aspect like bathing and showering them, what is the best way to do it? Also how many clients do you see everyday, i'm going to be doing this job full time :smile:

I work in a care home at the moment, will look for community care job in July in Glasgow, for when I move up there... But I know that my mates doing community care see quite a lot of people... Each of the visits is on average 20 minutes, sometimes they see the same person in the morning and then in the evening... Depends how long the shifts will be for you, I guess. I think one of my friends had 8-9 clients a day working full time, but like I said, sometimes she went twice to the same person.

Mostly people tell you how they like to be showered/bathed. Residents where I work all have their personal, small routines that they like to do, order to do things in. I have a resident that hates showers in general, she usually can start crying - but sometimes we do need to take her... So that can take up to an hour. Some absolutely love showers or baths... Some will want to help out as much as they can and be quite independent - some will just sit there and wait for you to do everything. I always try to chat to them during, as I can imagine it can be quite an "embarrasing" situation for them to be washed by a stranger...
Reply 5
Original post by lastlullabyy
I work in a care home at the moment, will look for community care job in July in Glasgow, for when I move up there... But I know that my mates doing community care see quite a lot of people... Each of the visits is on average 20 minutes, sometimes they see the same person in the morning and then in the evening... Depends how long the shifts will be for you, I guess. I think one of my friends had 8-9 clients a day working full time, but like I said, sometimes she went twice to the same person.

Mostly people tell you how they like to be showered/bathed. Residents where I work all have their personal, small routines that they like to do, order to do things in. I have a resident that hates showers in general, she usually can start crying - but sometimes we do need to take her... So that can take up to an hour. Some absolutely love showers or baths... Some will want to help out as much as they can and be quite independent - some will just sit there and wait for you to do everything. I always try to chat to them during, as I can imagine it can be quite an "embarrasing" situation for them to be washed by a stranger...

I went to the induction today and she basically said what you said really :smile: I guess i'll pick it all up and learn the clients wishes as I go along.

I went to the induction today and she basically said what you said really :smile: I guess i'll pick it all up and learn the clients wishes as I go along.

Well done on getting the job. I think most people are worried about the personal care aspect when they have no experience but if its a job you enjoy it wont phase you at all. Its the emotional side i can find difficult sometimes.

As lastlullabyy said all clients have different ways of doing things and you just get to know and if they're able to communicate they will keep you right. On an average day i have 11-13 clients and go into them 4 times each. Its definitely full on sometimes but I do enjoy it.

Hipe your looking forward to your first day and all goes well (if you haven't started already)
Reply 7
Well done on getting the job. I think most people are worried about the personal care aspect when they have no experience but if its a job you enjoy it wont phase you at all. Its the emotional side i can find difficult sometimes.

As lastlullabyy said all clients have different ways of doing things and you just get to know and if they're able to communicate they will keep you right. On an average day i have 11-13 clients and go into them 4 times each. Its definitely full on sometimes but I do enjoy it.

Hipe your looking forward to your first day and all goes well (if you haven't started already)

I have done some personal care already and its not that bad to be honest. It's just emptying commodes that have poo in that I find horrible. I am enjoying it though
Reply 8
To be honest I'm trying To get used to the smells of poo when changing pads and commodes. how do I not gag at the smell? lol
To be honest I'm trying To get used to the smells of poo when changing pads and commodes. how do I not gag at the smell? lol

lol We've all been there. Ive been working in care for years now it doesnt bother me now thankfully. I know people who have physically been sick when they first started :eek: Try breathing through your mouth instead.... that might work lol.
Reply 10
lol We've all been there. Ive been working in care for years now it doesnt bother me now thankfully. I know people who have physically been sick when they first started :eek: Try breathing through your mouth instead.... that might work lol.

breathing through my mouth? wouldn't i taste it that way lol. I guess it worth a try
The reason that electronic visit verification for Medicare and Medicaid services (respective of whether the service is provided in house or provided through a third party) has become more important is because claims for these services have dramatically increased over the last decade. For instance, according to the Kaiser Family Foundation, a national survey found that nearly one in five individuals who underwent doctor visits in a year did not receive the recommended treatment. Since many claims for Medicare and Medicaid services are eventually denied, it becomes increasingly important for CMS and for HCAHPS contract monitors to be able to properly identify fraud when it occurs.
(edited 2 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending