The Student Room Group
Graduation day, University of Glasgow
University of Glasgow
Visit website

University of Glasgow Accommodation - Official Q&A

Welcome to the University of Glasgow Accommodation official Questions and Answers thread.

Whether you’ve received an offer, already applied or are thinking about applying for University accommodation, members of our Accommodation Services team will be more than happy to answer any questions you may have about student life at our residences.

In the meantime, here is some information that you may find useful.

How can I apply?
To make an application for accommodation you need to register at onlineapps.accom.gla.ac.uk/

The online application system can be used by all students who have firmly accepted either an unconditional or conditional offer of study from the University of Glasgow. It can take up to 72 hours after accepting your offer of study for you to be able to make an application.

Accommodation is guaranteed to all new students in their first year of study who have applied and met the conditions of their offer of study prior to 22 August.

All students are given the opportunity to reapply for next session.

For more information check our Application Process FAQ

What types of accommodation are available?
We provide a wide variety of accommodation to over 3,500 students, from self-catering flats to more traditional catered halls of residence.

To check which residence is best for you have a look at our residence profile website:

Undergraduate Residences
Postgraduate Residences

What do Residence fees include?
Utilities
Internet access in rooms, 50Mbps cabled and Wi-Fi throughout
Telephones in rooms (except Student Apartments)
Basic group insurance cover for possessions
Full gym membership to Glasgow Sport facilities
Access to 24 hour UofG Living Support

All accommodation fees must be paid through your MyCampus account.On accepting an offer of accommodation students pay a one-off prepayment of £450. The remaining balance can be paid by Direct Debit in eight (or eleven, if contract is for 12 months) equal instalments from October to May (August).

What happens after I applied?
Offers are sent out from April onwards for those students holding an unconditional offer and from August onwards for students holding conditional offers, once the conditions have been met.

What happens if I am not happy in my flat?
Wardens/Senior Residents live in residences and are there to help with any issues that arise out-with office hours such as health, safety and student emotional support and discipline.

The Accommodation Services team is here to assist you throughout the year with any issues which may arise during your stay with us. Room transfer applications are available for students who wish to move within our residences; all transfers are subject to availability.

Check the Accommodation Services website for the latest news and information.

twitter.png instagram.png twitter1.png youtube.png
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Hi! Are students at the Glasgow school of art eligible for UoG halls, as their diplomas are awarded by your uni?
Graduation day, University of Glasgow
University of Glasgow
Visit website
Hi vonbroten,

To be eligible to stay at UofG Halls you need to be registered as a student at the University of Glasgow. If you are registered as a Glasgow School of Art student, then you are not eligible to apply to stay at our halls.

You may contact Glasgow School of Art to find out what their accommodation options are. Here is their website:
http://www.gsa.ac.uk/life/student-life/accommodation/

Best,
Accommodation Services
Reply 3
Am I likely to get first choice of accommodation with a conditional offer?
I'm going to put Glasgow as my insurance choice, but I'm wondering if this means I can't apply for accommodation until August/results day? Assuming I don't get into my firm. Does this mean I'll have limited accommodation choices?
Original post by optimystic
I'm going to put Glasgow as my insurance choice, but I'm wondering if this means I can't apply for accommodation until August/results day? Assuming I don't get into my firm. Does this mean I'll have limited accommodation choices?

I am too wondering if I should apply for accom for my insurance choice?
Original post by erin0456
Am I likely to get first choice of accommodation with a conditional offer?

Hi erin0456,

Due to the high demand for places in our accommodation it is just not possible to guarantee every student their first choice. However, applying with a conditional status shouldn’t put you at a disadvantage when it comes to being offered one of your top preferences as we have a system in place to ensure that rooms are distributed fairly throughout the application period.

Best wishes,

Accommodation Services
Original post by optimystic

Original post by Littledragonm
I am too wondering if I should apply for accom for my insurance choice?

Hi optimistic and Littledragonm,

Unfortunately we are only able to accept accommodation applications from students who have indicated that they will definitely be coming to study at Glasgow as our accommodation system does not hold student records with an insurance status.

If you eventually decide to come to Glasgow, your study status will be updated to either Unconditional Firm or Conditional Firm and at that stage your student record will be imported into the accommodation system and you will be able to apply for accommodation. Due to the fact that we allocate applications in the date order in which they are received, by the time we reach late August we will obviously have fewer spaces available. However, as long as you submit your application for residence before the 22 August deadline then we can guarantee you accommodation in University halls.

Best wishes,

Accommodation Services
Original post by University of Glasgow Accommodation

Due to the high demand for places in our accommodation it is just not possible to guarantee every student their first choice. However, applying with a conditional status shouldn’t put you at a disadvantage when it comes to being offered one of your top preferences

I understand that first choices can't be guaranteed, but what do you think are the chances of getting EITHER your first or second preference if you have a conditional? I'm just worried knowing that my application will only be processed in august :redface: I am really hoping I don't end up with my 5th or 6th choices!
Original post by thermometer
I understand that first choices can't be guaranteed, but what do you think are the chances of getting EITHER your first or second preference if you have a conditional? I'm just worried knowing that my application will only be processed in august :redface: I am really hoping I don't end up with my 5th or 6th choices!

Hi thermometer,

As we said before,applying with a conditional status shouldn’t put you at a disadvantage when it comes to being offered one of your top preferences.The allocation process ensures that rooms are distributed fairly among unconditional and conditional offer holders.

Being offered your first or second preference will depend on the number of students who have applied for similar choices and the date of your application. As rooms are allocated on a first come first served basis, the best you can do is to apply for accommodation as soon as you have accepted an offer of study at the University of Glasgow (unconditional or conditional).

Once you meet the conditions of your offer of study, you should receive an offer of accommodation within seven days.

Best,
Accommodation Services
It sounds as though Queen Margaret is a pretty popular choice for folk applying. How quickly do places for it normally fill up? If I was to apply right now or over the next few days, am I still likely to get a place there do you think?

Also, I accepted my offer from the Uni late on Friday night. Does it take 72 hours to go through, or is it 72 working hours? (Was told that by a friend, don't know whether to believe them)
x

Thank you! What are the shared bathrooms like at Murano/cairncross/student apartments etc, is it one single toilet between you? or is it like public toilets where you have several cubicles and several showers? and are there cleaning services or do we clean the bathrooms ourselves?
Original post by abraaacadabra
It sounds as though Queen Margaret is a pretty popular choice for folk applying. How quickly do places for it normally fill up? If I was to apply right now or over the next few days, am I still likely to get a place there do you think?

Also, I accepted my offer from the Uni late on Friday night. Does it take 72 hours to go through, or is it 72 working hours? (Was told that by a friend, don't know whether to believe them)

Hi abraaacadabra,

Queen Margaret is a popular choice for students who are looking for en suite accommodation, but this year we are also offering Kelvinhaugh Gate to undergraduate students which offers the same type of accommodation very close to campus. The residence is located in a very lively and trendy neighbourhood. Check out our Know Your Area guide and have a look at the video!

[video="youtube;xntuzQbgBCQ"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xntuzQbgBCQ[/video]

The best for you is to select your choices in order of preference, no matter when you are applying. If we can offer you your top choices we'll do!

It may take up to 72 working hours for your record to be updated, but it is possible this has been updated already. You may try registering at our Online Application System.

Original post by thermometer
Thank you! What are the shared bathrooms like at Murano/cairncross/student apartments etc, is it one single toilet between you? or is it like public toilets where you have several cubicles and several showers? and are there cleaning services or do we clean the bathrooms ourselves?

Hi again thermometer!

The shared showers and toilets are in separate rooms, so students can use the shower while somebody else uses the toilet.

At Cairncross House and Wolfson Hall, toilets and showers are distributed along a corridor, so students can use any that is free. All rooms have a sink.

Student Apartments has 1 shower and 1 toilet for approximately 4/5 students. Here you can find both separate toilet and shower units and combined ones.

Murano Street Student Village has the following distribution:
Small Flats (3-5 students): 1 shower and 1 toilet
Large Flats (10-12 students): 2 showers and 2 toilets
All rooms have a sink.

Both Kelvinhaugh Gate and Queen Margaret Residences have en suite rooms.

You are responsible for the cleaning of your own room and you are also expected to contribute to the cleaning of the kitchen and toilet and shower areas.

A light cleaning service is provided for communal areas on a weekly basis at Murano Street Student Village Large Flats,Student Houses, Wolfson Hall, Queen Margaret Residences and Kelvinhaugh Gate.

The shower/toilet areas will be cleaned daily Monday –Friday by site staff and the kitchens will be cleaned on a weekly basis at Cairncross House.

For more information you can check our Residences FAQ

Regards,
Accommodation Services
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 13
What happens if I paid the £450 and decide that I do not want to study at University of Glasgow?
Hi RAlexO,

This is our Cancelation Policy:

.Right to cancel: Students can cancel their contract within 7 working days, beginning on the day after accepting the agreement. The full £450 prepayment will be refunded.

.If cancelled before 22nd August: The £450 prepayment is refunded but a £25 administration fee will be charged.Students get back £425.

.If cancelled on or after 22nd August and 1 day prior to the contract start date: The £450 prepayment is not refunded.

.If cancelled on or after entry date: The £450 prepayment will not be refunded and the students will be liable for the fees for the full duration of the contract until a suitable replacement is found.

.Withdrawals: If withdrawing from University, students will be charged for the number of nights they have stayed in accommodation plus 28 days from leaving day.

Regards,
Accommodation Services
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 15
Hi RAlexO,

This is our Cancelation Policy:

.Right to cancel: Students can cancel their contract within 7 working days, beginning on the day after accepting the agreement. The full £450 prepayment will be refunded.

.If cancelled before 22nd August: The £450 prepayment is refunded but a £25 administration fee will be charged.Students get back £425.

.If cancelled on or after 22nd August and 1 day prior to the contract start date: The £450 prepayment is not refunded.

.If cancelled on or after entry date: The £450 prepayment will not be refunded and the students will be liable for the fees for the full duration of the contract until a suitable replacement is found.

.Withdrawals: If withdrawing from University, students will be charged for the number of nights they have stayed in accommodation plus 28 days from leaving day.

Regards,
Accommodation Services

Thank you!
How many weeks out of the year do we pay accommodation for?
Hi Employable?,

Undergraduate students are offered a 39 weeks contract.

Postgraduate students are offered a 39 weeks contract or a 52 weeks contract.

For the session 2016/2017 the dates of the 39 weeks contract are 9th September - 9th June, and for the 52 weeks contract these are 9th September - 7th September.

Students may apply for pre-term and summer accommodation if they wish to extend their stay.

Regards,
Accommodation Services
Hi,
Does the £450 deposit need to be paid before we receive our funding from saas?
Thanks

Undergraduate students are offered a 39 weeks contract.

Students may apply for pre-term and summer accommodation if they wish to extend their stay.

How long would pre-term accommodation be? Could it be as little as 3 days, or is there a set duration? Had a look on the website but couldn't find anything.

Quick Reply