The Student Room Group

Would I be able to do A level further maths with no IGCSE further maths?

This poll is closed

Is Further Maths A-level worth the work for a physics degree

Yes 86%
No14%
Total votes: 7
Hi all,
I really want to do Astrophysics at uni and I've heard FM is very useful for physics courses,
I would definitely do A level maths but I'm not sure if an A* in IGCSE maths (predicted grade) would be good enough to do FM at A-Level.
Does anyone have any experience of this situation?
And is it really necessary to do FM for Astrophysics at UCL/Bath/Edinburugh.
Thanks a lot
Reply 1
Yes, definitely. I got an A* at GCSE, but I didn't do GCSE FM; many schools are aware that GCSE FM isn't always offered. They usually ask for an A* in GCSE maths and you might have to do an entrance test, but that's it. It's not necessary, but it is preferred by many top universities.
Reply 2
Original post by Jesus has come
Of course, just say your prayers and beg forgiveness for all your sins and all you wish will come true

Haha you're such a troll xD
It's not offered at most school so no.
Apparently GCSE FM is just a combination of the A/A* GCSE questions and a little bit of content from AS so it's not much. If you want, you could probably self-teach the content lol
That's great thanks a lot.
Does anyone know if Astrophysics at top unis is more or less maths intensive than a normal physics course?
Yes just get an A or A* at GCSE Maths
Thanks for all the help guys keep it coming
Original post by drowzee
Yes, definitely. I got an A* at GCSE, but I didn't do GCSE FM; many schools are aware that GCSE FM isn't always offered. They usually ask for an A* in GCSE maths and you might have to do an entrance test, but that's it. It's not necessary, but it is preferred by many top universities.

Top universities prefer GCSE FM?
Reply 8
Original post by Student403
Top universities prefer GCSE FM?

I should have been more clear. :lol: I meant A Level FM, since he was wondering if he needed it.
Original post by drowzee
I should have been more clear. :lol: I meant A Level FM, since he was wondering if he needed it.

Ah okay yeah :tongue:

Yep definitely worth taking AL FM for most things maths/physics/engineering related at uni
Ok, would AS FM level be sufficient?
Because I think in my A level year(2 years from now) I have the 2 year courses for all ALs with no AS,
So unis would have no proof of my FM "AS"/ half a level
Original post by Harry Langley
Ok, would AS FM level be sufficient?
Because I think in my A level year(2 years from now) I have the 2 year courses for all ALs with no AS,
So unis would have no proof of my FM "AS"/ half a level

They will have proof that you're taking the 2 year course thanks to your school. And you will report it on your UCAS application
Ok so 1 year would be sufficient?
Original post by Harry Langley
Ok so 1 year would be sufficient?

What do you mean?
DOn't know about astrophysics, but some students at my son's school who decided at the end of hte lower sixth that they could do with a bit more maths, for engineering courses, did an AS in FM, in the upper sixth.

As others have said, no need for GCSE FM or advance maths - my kids' school didn't offer it, my son did maths, FM, and then an extra AS in additional FM (ie he had some modules left over). Not a problem. FM is very useful for most numerate courses including physical sciences and engineering, as well as Maths.
Would doing FM for 1 year then dropping it and carrying on with let's say Physics Maths Spanish if I didn't enjoy it be good enough for a decent AAA/A*AA uni?

Quick Reply

Latest