The Student Room Group

Haven't had sex with my girlfriend in 3 months... Should I call it a day?

I haven't had sex with my girlfriend for over 3 months now. The sex started to get irregular at the beginning of last summer - and she said she would see a doctor about contraception. Summer past and she didn't go to the doctor. Sex from summer time became irregular, about once a month and then after Christmas has just stopped completely. She said before Christmas that she would go to the doctor in the Christmas holidays but never did. She would rather go to her own doctor in her home town than the STD clinic where she can get the same thing in her uni town. She says she will go in the Easter holidays - but I have my doubts. She doesn't trust condoms and doesn't want other forms of contraception in case there is any side effects?

She says she wants to have sex with me but doesn't want to get pregnant?

Am I selfish if after the Easter holidays if she doesn't want to have sex to call It a day?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous
I haven't had sex with my girlfriend for over 3 months now. The sex started to get irregular at the beginning of last summer - and she said she would see a doctor about contraception. Summer past and she didn't go to the doctor. Sex from summer time became irregular, about once a month and then after Christmas has just stopped completely. She said before Christmas that she would go to the doctor in the Christmas holidays but never did. She would rather go to her own doctor in her home town than the STD clinic where she can get the same thing in her uni town. She says she will go in the Easter holidays - but I have my doubts. She doesn't trust condoms and doesn't want other forms of contraception in case there is any side effects?

Am I selfish if after the Easter holidays if she doesn't want to have sex to call It a day?

Have you asked her why she hasn't sorted contraception out? It seems like she can't accept that if she's not happy to use condoms then she has to accept there is a possibility of side effects with every female form of contraception out there. I wouldn't consider it selfish for you to want to call it a day after that amount of time if she hasn't taken any action.
Personally, I think that if you're only with her for sex you are with her for the wrong reasons. Therefore, if that is the main reason you think you should leave, because you're not having sex, possibly this is the wrong relationship for you. I realise 3 months is a long time, but if you love her help her find some form of contraception she agrees with or encourage her to go to the clinic near her as soon as. All contraception comes with side effects but if they are bad you can go back to the doctor and get the prescription changed.
Reply 3
3 months? You should be knighted

call it 3 months not a day

Spoiler

She doesn't trust condoms

why tho?

Whether you should call it a day or not depends entirely on how important sex in a relationship is to you. Seeing as you bothered to make a thread about it, I'm gonna go with very important. It's not selfish to end a relationship you don't wanna be in any more, that's just common sense.
Dumping her just because you haven't had sex sounds like you are with her for the wrong reasons, have you both tried to talk about these issues?
do you just view her as a fwb or do you actually love her as a girlfriend?
Dumping your gf for no sex before talking to her directly is harsh and unfair. How long have you been dating for?
Why don't you?!
3 months !!!

I will probably get hate for this but maybe it's time to call it a day. She clearly has some deeper problems.
when you get married you won't have sex most likely anyway lol I say if she's good in all other ways then stick around and wait really, her vagina's not going nowhere
yeah call it a day - either you do it, or she will soon, given this line of behaviour
Original post by RugbyFighter
3 months !!!

I will probably get hate for this but maybe it's time to call it a day. She clearly has some deeper problems.

So why not help her figure them out? Part of a healthy relationship involves supporting and working with the person. Long term serious relationships often bring more problems in life than no sex for 3 months. Then again depends whats more important to him her or sex.
Original post by Rock Fan
Dumping her just because you haven't had sex sounds like you are with her for the wrong reasons, have you both tried to talk about these issues?

I don't think that's fair, for a lot of people sex is an important part of a relationship.
Original post by indigofox
So why not help her figure them out? Part of a healthy relationship involves supporting and working with the person. Long term serious relationships often bring more problems in life than no sex for 3 months. Then again depends whats more important to him her or sex.

To say other things are more important in a relationship than sex is pointless. It's equally as important as other things. Although it really depends on each person.

It sounds like he's already talked to her anyway.
Reply 16
i mean personally i think sex is a really important part of a relationship, i think she has insecurities of some sort... i got my first contraception at a sexual health clinic and it was fine so i don't see why she would have issues with that?? idk.

i'd end it tbh, i like to have sex and i feel good sex is an important foundation for a good and happy relationship
she's already 3 months pregnant bro don't you get it
What's the point the days nearly over. 42 minutes left.
I honestly dont see why sex is so important
Thats just me though.
I dont think you should end it over that. Seems a bit extreme to me.
Maybe sit her down one day and have a serious talk about it. Tell her to go see someone or even take her there.
Everything in life has side effects so she shouldnt really be too concerned about it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending