The Student Room Group

What would you do if you partner completely let themselves go?

Scroll to see replies

I don't think most people would care if their partners let themselves go a little. While fitness is important, some of the other stuff becomes really insignificant.

As for if they become obese, you would probably be more concerned with why they have changed drastically rather than the idea that you don't want to sleep with them.
Original post by Anonymous
Oh so getting hammered, regular gorging on disgusting junk food, not wearing UV protection and then lying out in the sun until you skin looks like trash are the only ways people have fun? Perhaps for sheep. It's called valuing your health, well being and body which actually feels really good. More people ought to try it.

Hilarious..... Think you need to calm down
Original post by silverbolt
They would need to get to the obese phase before I'd stop sleeping with them. So there be plenty of time to try and see why they are letting themselves go that badly

Yeah hopefully there would be a warning along the ascent so you could be like 'honey, could you lay off that dang cake and please?', before it's too late. Although at my height of 5'2" for example there's only about 15lbs between overweight and obese so you'd be surprised how fast someone can get there.
Original post by Tombola
I don't think most people would care if their partners let themselves go a little. While fitness is important, some of the other stuff becomes really insignificant.

As for if they become obese, you would probably be more concerned with why they have changed drastically rather than the idea that you don't want to sleep with them.

Yeah a little is different but I'm talking about completely as the thread title says. I'm talking about people who become practically the opposite of the person they were when they entered the relationship when they have no good reason to be e.g. becoming very ill with a condition.

Of course I would be concerned with their health. That's probably what would scare me most. I want to live a long, healthy life with my partner I don't want someone who can't climb the stairs or run with the kids in their 30s because they are too unhealthy. And I want someone who is a good example to the kids, respects their body and there lives. Sorry I had to mention the sex thing though, it ruins a lot of marriages!
Oh so getting hammered, regular gorging on disgusting junk food, not wearing UV protection and then lying out in the sun until you skin looks like trash are the only ways people have fun? Perhaps for sheep. It's called valuing your health, well being and body which actually feels really good. More people ought to try it.

It's not a choice between being extremely health conscious and not caring about your health at all. I think the optimum is somewhere in the middle.

But late nights are fun! :colondollar: I love nighttime. People that go to bed at 9pm everyday like clockwork are missing out on the beauty of the night!

:tongue:
Original post by Shumaya
It's not a choice between being extremely health conscious and not caring about your health at all. I think the optimum is somewhere in the middle.

It's true that not everyone has to be as health conscious as me I'm not saying that. But someone who has no respect for their health can't expect the world to have any more regard for them as they have none for themselves. Without your health you having nothing.
You can't love and value someone who doesn't love and value themselves.

Poppycock - my fiancee has had problems with self-image as part of long term mental health problems, that doesn't change how I feel about her: it's fairly easy to love someone who doesn't love themselves if you care about them.
Original post by TheonlyMrsHolmes
But late nights are fun! :colondollar: I love nighttime. People that go to bed at 9pm everyday like clockwork are missing out on the beauty of the night!

:tongue:

Lady of the night. :teehee:
First id be amazes that any girl would actually want to be in a relationship with me.
Second. If my parter changed i would accept it and wouldnt make a big deal out of it (unless it was a serious issue).
Ideally id like to date someone like me. But i doubt they exist so im gonna have to make some sacrifices to be with the girl i love and i dont care. I dont care because we love each other and thats all that matters really.
Well to me anyway.
Original post by stefano865
Lady of the night. :teehee:

:colonhash:

No!
Original post by TheonlyMrsHolmes
:colonhash:

No!

:h:

:hugs:
Probably depends how much they let themselves go, I'm quite health conscious myself so I would prefer a partner who thinks likewise but obviously there are other factors to consider. If you actually intended to be with them for the long term then maybe it would be best to try to resolve why they were actually 'letting themselves go', it would be pretty harsh just to straight up finish the relationship if you otherwise got on well (within limits obviously, I could never be in a relationship with an obese person for example).
I'm very conscious about mine, and my partners health. While I don't think we would ever have this problem since we share the same enthusiasm for fitness I do believe I would have words with her and let her know. This is actually something we have talked about together. I also feel I just wouldn't be attracted to her if she got fat. People say looks aren't everything, well personality isn't everything either :biggrin: I couldn't stay with someone im not physcially attracted to.
I'm single myself but I see it all the time. I am in my mid 20s and I see girls (and sometimes guys) who seem to let it all go once they get a partner. And these are young people as well some of whom do this before they even reach 21 but it's almost a given now in the mid 20s. I only wonder what they will be like in their 40s and 50s.

I workout 4 times a week minimum, eat healthy and stay away from smoking, UV, alcohol, late nights etc. and I pledge even when I do get coupled up to keep it up and stay looking nice for the guy. To be honest I feel I would probably only be compatible with someone who is into a healthy lifestyle and values their well being anyway. That being said if I loved the guy I would stay with him but I wouldn't have sex with him if he got obese for instance. And if that makes me a horrible person well I'm sorry but I can't be forced to have sex with someone.

What do you think of people who let themselves go too soon when they have the power to chance it? ( I'm not talking someone who has an accident, ends up in a wheelchair and has to live a sedentary life for example).

Would you stay? Would you give an ultimatum? Do they deserve it they can't be bothered to change and the other person leaves?

i actually completely agree with you OP. Tbh, if this were ever a case of happening to me; i'd indirectly nag them about it for at least a month, by which time i'd fully confront them on it. I can't be going out with someone who purposefully lets themselves go. Like, if they weren't attractive in the first place then the relationship wouldn't have happened. i would sort of maintain that same ideology throughout the entire duration of said relationship.

i workout at least 5-6 times a week; balance this with all the other activities i do and those i love to see as well; alongside lectures and uni work. However, whilst your post is decent, there is a slight hiccup. whilst everything is dandy, i do have to admit to not seeing the point in which getting hammered would be devastating to the health you work hard to achieve if the 'hammering' is/would be done at least once a week. Like it's all good and fun to stay up there; but even kings rested. i agree with everything else though, smoking e.t.c all create long-lasting irreversible effects on the human body. but then again, that's the issue here.
however, i ask something else. what would be the case if they kept on Not taking care of themselves? like not going to the gym, but at the same time taking care of everything else (e.g. smelling good, physically attractive, e.t.c)? where is the line drawn?

Quick Reply