The Student Room Group

Feminists Vs Islam (women are disrespected in islam?)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by champ_mc99
Is there a link you can provide showing this as historical evidence?

I don't think you fully understand the story of Jesus in the Qur'an. Muslims believe that Jesus rose and was replaced by a man who wanted to kill him. This guy was the one who was crucified. Anyways can you provide links for that too.

As for historical evidence.

http://www.icr.org/article/has-archaeological-evidence-for-jesus-been-discove/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qmMfCDMbLIw

And watch the earlier video i posted.
Original post by WBZ144
To be honest that was one of the main reasons why I left Islam, right after the fact that there are scientific and factual errors in the Quran. Two female witnesses are equivalent to one male because women are so mentally deficient that we need to be able to remind each other in case one of us forgets? Seriously???

I know! That shook all my foundations being a good Muslim tbh. I was blown away even more after bringing that verse to my male family members who justified it and i was like 'WTH?!'
Original post by fire_and_ice
Is it really that hard to go onto google, paste that quotation and look for Islamic interpretations for it? Or, are you just dumb?

Anyway, because I have nothing better to do, do yourself a favor and give this a read. I also don't know what the hell happened the other paragraphs when I pasted it, and I can't be bothered to amend it since I'm using my iPad. Here it is:

Before I give you my result, I would like to say that the translation of the Arabic language done for the hadith and the Qur'an are weak. They don't point out the grammatical significance of the words, which does matter for interpretation. They also don't point out how the structure of the Arabic sentence, which, again, matters. So, unless you know Arabic, you shouldn't take it into task to interpret these texts. You should either go to someone with knowledge or gain knowledge yourself.Also, for better interpretation, you should also take a look at other hadiths.That being said, here is my result.

First :Let us try to understand what the word intelligence here mean.. Intelligence here rather means intellect, that is why many scholars consider translation as a cause for the misunderstanding of this hadith.That is why some consider the above translation as wrong and give the following as its correction“The Messenger of Allah once said to a group of women: O Women, give charity. I see the majority of those in hellfire to be women. They said: why is it so, O Messenger of Allah? He said: You rebuke a lot and you are disobedient towards your husbands. I have not seen any one who has more influence on an intelligent and sensible man, than you, although you are deficient in intellect and religion. A cautious, sensible man can easily be led astray by you. The women asked: O Allah's Messenger, what is deficient in our intellect and religion? He said: Is not the evidence of two women equal to the witness of one man? They replied in the affirmative. He said: This is the deficiency in your intelligence'... 'Isn't it true that a woman can neither pray nor fast during her menstruation? The women replied in the affirmative. He said: This is the deficiency in your religion.''They give the following explanation to the above hadithIn this narrative of the Prophet, peace and blessings be upon him, according to a normal principle of the classical Arabic language, some words have been suppressed. The words "Naqisa'tul-`aql wal-deen" translated as: "deficient in intellect and religion" have the noun "umu'r" suppressed. The complete phrase is: "Naqisa'tu umu'ril-`aql wal-di'n" or "Naqisa't fi' umu'ril-`aql wal-di'n" i.e. "deficient in responsibility in matters pertaining to intellect and religion.A thorough deliberation on the narrative in the light of the above explanation would clarify the meaning of this narrative. The Prophet , peace and blessings be upon him, directs the group of women to give a lot of charity to balance out their weaknesses. He then informs them of two of their important weaknesses, i.e., they are quick in rebuke and are disobedient to their husbands. Both these qualities may result in making the family life very miserable. He then expresses his surprise at their influence on their men by saying that although God has reduced their responsibility in matters pertaining to practical wisdom and religion, strange as it is, they have a tremendous influence on their men.)

Second :Arab philosophers consider the human mind has two parts one which has all his instinct-based behavior, as well as his being God’s trustee on earth which is the one that Allah created inside man. The other one is based on the intelligence, intellect and brilliance. Consequently, they say that some humans can have one strong and the other deficient whether men or women equally.Based on Arab philosophers theory, The famous scholar Al-Mawardi said that the real intellect is the one responsible for the human actions as Allah’s vicegerent on earth. That is the one meant by the word (intelligence) in this hadith. That is why the hadith said (deficient in intelligence and religion) i.e. used the woman’s deficiency in intellect with her having less religious responsibilities. The hadith actually speaks of the part of the mind responsible for the human as vicegerent on earth.As for her deficiency in intellect, Women can not control her feelings as much as man and is more patient and merciful than man and is much easily moved by tragic situations than man which is her nature that is why her responsibilities as Allah vicegerent on earth are less. For example she does not have to financially support the family while financially supporting the family is one of the man’s major responsibilities. Another example is her testimony in debt registration sessions or transactions which is a field not frequently tackled by women, which requires great accuracy and understanding of financial matters, in this case her testimony is half that of a man (please refer to page 21 for further discussion of this point in Islam).As for her deficiency in religion it is because during her menstruation she does not fast or pray.Both deficiencies are not meant to humiliate or underestimate women but rather understanding her nature. Women have less responsibilities as Allah vicegerent on earth that is the part of their intellect that is missing but it never means that women are brainless, unwise, less intelligent or even less religious than men. The hadith rather empathizes women nature as the part of humanity responsible for emotions and mercy than men.Before we leave this matter we have to say here that in various occasions the Holy Quran and Prophet Muhammad, peace and blessings be upon him, praised women intelligence and wisdom.The holy Quran praised Belqees The Queen of Sheba’s wisdom and narrated her story with Prophet Soloman, blessings be upon him, in the following verses“She said: O chiefs! give me advice respecting my affair: I never decide an affair until you are in my presence They said: We are possessors of strength and possessors of mighty prowess, and the command is yours, therefore see what you will command. She said: Surely the kings, when they enter a town, ruin it and make the noblest of its people to be low, and thus they (always) do; And surely I am going to send a present to them, and shall wait to see what (answer) do the messengers bring back.” (AlNaml 32:35)Belquees, the Queen of Sheba was a woman in a ruling position. She represented a democratic ruler who consulted with her people before making important decisions.“It was said to her: Enter the palace; but when she saw it she deemed it to be a great expanse of water, and bared her legs. He said: Surely it is a palace made smooth with glass. She said: My Lord! surely I have been unjust to myself, and I submit with Sulaiman to Allah, the Lord of the worlds.” (AlNaml 44)After witnessing what God gave Solomon, she became a Muslim, while still the Queen of Sheba. When she saw the interior of Solomon’s palace, she thought it was a pool of water, and she (pulled up her dress) exposing her legs. He said, "This interior is now paved with crystal." She said, “My Lord! surely I have been unjust to myself, and I submit with Sulaiman to Allah, the Lord of the worlds”In another hadith a woman came asking the prophet and he praised her wisdom and eloquence. The Noble Prophet, peace and blessings be upon him, consulted his wives, may Allah be pleased with them, in many critical occasions and followed their opinion like in case of Um Salama, may Allah be pleased with her, during the treaty of Hudaibeya which is explained later in the section (Examples of How the Islamic society treated women)From the above discussion we can easily conclude that Islam regards woman as equal to man, the fact that she has less responsibilities as God’s vicegerent on earth does not underestimate her capabilities but rather empathizes her nature as more passionate than man which is a necessity for the continuity of life on earth.

Taken from: https://www.quora.com/Does-islam-say-women-are-less-intelligent

You must be insane if you think that I am gonna read all that copy and paste, or believe that there is justification of a supposed prophet for calling women mentally deficient to men.
Original post by BrokenLife
I believe in the concept of God in Islam to an extent but I just do not like all how God rules us and sexist views in Islam. And let me clarify, this is with any religion, not just Islam.

Not for Christianity my friend.
Original post by Bazzel

Quran (5:6) - "And if ye are unclean, purify yourselves. And if ye are sick or on a journey, or one of you cometh from the closet, or ye have had contact with women, and ye find not water, then go to clean, high ground and rub your faces and your hands with some of it"

Quran (24:31) - Women are to lower their gaze around men, so they do not look them in the eye.

Quran (2:223) - "Your wives are as a tilth unto you; so approach your tilth when or how ye will..."

Quran (53:27) - "Those who believe not in the Hereafter, name the angels with female names."

I'm just curious as to how you get "inequality between men and women" from these four particular verses. I've heard the other ones before, but I'm not sure how you're trying to present these ones as example of inequality.

(5:6) The phrase "contact with women" is a more mild way of saying "having sex", (since the verse is directed towards Muhammad, who is a man). Women have to do the same thing if they've had sex. I'm not sure what you're thinking is unequal between men and women about this.

(24:31) Are you thinking that women having to lower their gaze in front of men is an example of inequality because men aren't asked to do the same in front of women? If so, can I ask - did you read verse (24:30) that came just before this one? Or did you just copy and paste the verse without reading what else is written nearby?

(2:223) Men are allowed to have sex with their wives. Is that a surprise?

(53:27) Non-muslims often stereotype angels as though they are females or have female characteristics. Search for "angel" in Google images and it's full of pictures looking like females. This just seems to be a statement of fact.
(edited 8 years ago)
My attitude is based on the laws of 'your religion'. Do not tell me about Islam, I know my own share about Islam. I was brought up in very religious and strict Muslim family.

No or yes, I'm entitled to hold my opinion so stop becoming defensive. Islam is an ideology and not everyone is going agree with an ideology, so do us a favour and open up your mind a bit and chill.

Take your own advice and chill.

While it's all good being brought up in a religious family, if rules are forced upon you without any reasoning or explanation then that is a problem. That could be a reason you've distanced yourself from the religion.
Original post by Al-farhan
Says this

Spoiler

Then this

Spoiler

*Cough* *Cough*
Brain malfunction! Reboot please.
ps:

Spoiler

The difference is that he asked for the context behind this, so i gave it to him.

Muslims talk about the context before an argument is even laid out.
Original post by SuperStar#7
Not for Christianity my friend.

What about homosexuality and abortion in Christianity?
Original post by Squishy•
You guys are really missing out on knowledge if you are being too ignorant to watch this video. Literally I could argue with you but what is the point when a person of more knowledge has a whole video about it and you are too ignorant to watch it?

Brokenlife, Men have to provide all their money for their family whilst a woman can keep her money for herself as it's not her duty. With men inheriting 2:1 ratio of girls that is due to the fact women can keep their money for them self however men have to split and share it among their family as they have to provide for them.

I have watched NAK's justification of verse 4:34 in his "That's messed up" series as my friend linked it to me in an attempt to give me "advice". It was all sugar-coated drivel because no matter what interpretation you use, it is supported by Hadith that a husband can hit his wife in Islam. Female companions came to Muhammad with green marks from beatings and one had a broken bone. The husbands didn't face any consequences for abusing their wives.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by WBZ144
Last summer, I was a non-practicing Muslim for two years before that. I went to a Quran school as a kid and literally memorised the whole Quran with Tafseer. We were also taught Hadith, Tawheed and Fiqh. My family are quite relaxed about religion now so it wasn't so bad.

Wow that's pretty recent.
Whatever you guys argue or say, literally non of it is making any sense or worth listening to when you are too ignorant to even watch a video addressing many, many of your points and providing reasoning for. If you can't watch this video then how can you expect people to listen to you when you are being more ignorant than anyone as you are speaking on subjects which you have very little knowledge on.
Stupidity people like the guy with anime character as his avatar when they are using emotive language and incorrect interpretations to convey an incorrect and brutal message that they only are fed to believe by common Islamic-Hate promotors online and media. It makes no sense and I feel you are too ignorant to consider anything else as you have followed blindly into the mindset like a sheep.

Bare in mind I am on my phone and I just came back to see five pages, I haven't looked through every comment to see the general trend of the comments so this doesn't apply to everyone.

And rape. Sexual slavery. Oh I could go on

How is that sexist?
You left out the most common one which is.

"CONTEXT"
if the adequate context is not available in the Quran itself, it can be easily supplied, via ahadith and interpretation

e.g., a man can beat his wife (Quran 4:34)

-with a miswak (toothbrush)
-not on the face
-lightly
-so as not to leave bruises
-only if she really, really deserves it
-Muhammad never hit his wives (except Aisha, but just once)

etc etc
Original post by HAnwar
Take your own advice and chill.

While it's all good being brought up in a religious family, if rules are forced upon you without any reasoning or explanation then that is a problem. That could be a reason you've distanced yourself from the religion.

Next time you want to quote me, change your tone or don't bother.

And my reason isn't just the culture but Islamic sexist and homophobic views too. Don't tell me about my reasons for drifting away for I know them better.
Original post by lulucoco98
And rape. Sexual slavery. Oh I could go on

You obviously know nothing about Christianity as written in Hebrews 8 1 :13, The old laws given to moses and his people at that time apart from the ten commandments are abolished.

Please read those verses.
I know! That shook all my foundations being a good Muslim tbh. I was blown away even more after bringing that verse to my male family members who justified it and i was like 'WTH?!'

My brother's justification was that this verse only applied to cases of financial transactions and that it was no longer relevant because women are much better educated in financial matters nowadays. He forgets the fact that all four of the Sunni schools of thought equated two female witnesses to one male in all matters.
How is that sexist?

Tell me the views of Christianity on homosexuality and abortion, regardless of the fact that it is or it is not sexist, it is still very oppressive and controlling and that is my issue with any religion, not just Islam.
LOL. Your ignorance and vitriol is quite outstanding.

The Bible is filled with prophets. The prophets prophesied the coming of Jesus, his trials, his death and his resurrection in the old testament.

The prophecy gets fufillied and gets recorded by followers of Christ, supported by manuscripts, and now you're saying all this is false because some roman historian, (LOL at him being Roman, there certainly isn't any agenda there) who wrote his nonsense years after his death said it isn't true?

I feel that you should do some actual research on Biblical theology and history because you sound really misinformed here my friend.

My ignorance? You're the one believing butterflies are superman.

You do realise that the Old Testament is basically the Hebrew Bible with some material removed and some added, right?

You are saying that the Prophesies are real because the Bible says so. Well, the New Testament, the book that supposedly says that the prophesies are real, was written AFTER the death of Jesus. Writers had no first-hand experience over what happened. It is obvious that they relied heavily on the Old Testament to prescribe characteristics that Jesus supposedly has. So, what you're doing here is dismiss my source because the events were written shortly after the death of Jesus and rely on sources which were written much, much later. Do you see the idiocy now, or need I explain it again?

Sure, Tacitus, who is highly revered as a historian, is not worth mentioning because he disagreed with you. Sounds completely logical. And don't forget that he had as much reason to hate on Nero -which he did throughout-, so what you say doesn't make sense either.

Perhaps take your advice for your own good.

Case dismissed.
Reply 119
To be fair to Islam, and I don't even like the religion, women have never done anything deserving of respect. Quite the opposite, in fact.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending