The Student Room Group

Funding for college & then into Uni for a mature student / assistance for PTSD

Hey. I'm just seeking a little clarity on this, so any info' / advice is immensly appreciated.

In a nutshell, to summarise how I've came to the decision to pursue a journey on an academic path (albeit I'm a little undecided on what path exactly that is to be) - I'm approaching 27, & my living circumstances are to change quite drastically over the next year having been living with my grandparents for around a decade or so.

I've put a pursuit into higher education off for around 4-5 years now, having worked numerous temporary / semi-permanent jobs along the way, & feel like if I don't take some kind of action within this year (as opposed to 'next year' )then I'll be telling myself the same thing in 5 years time.

Having looked at pathways to Uni, I'm looking at a year or two at College (to gain enough UCAS points) before applying. I understand what financial support is available once I get to the Uni stage, in terms of loans to cover tuition / basic living costs but don't quite understand what is available for mature college goers outside of covering tuition fees.

Looking at full-time courses & working part-time, would I be eligible for a maintenance loan to helpwith rent etc (since I'll have to be renting a flat / houseshare in the coming months regardless), or is that only for Uni students? Also, if it is possible to receive that kind of loan - is it then still available to go through Uni with? In essence - is there a limit on the amount I can loan?

AFAIK the Gov's changes to grants is due to be implemented from this acamdemic year onwards (meaning taking out a further loan to over the same amount in mataintance). Meaning I'd be looking at £80k+ for the 5-6 years of study (college + Uni). That is, if what I'm seeking clarity on above is right....

On another note - I've recently been diagnosed with PTSD* due to a childhood trauma (severe nightmares being the main symptom, which I've had since around age 12). This impacts my focus / concentration somewhat when it flares up, mainly due (imo) to how itaffects my quality of sleep (2 hours or so per night - in more severe casesI might not be able to sleep at all for 1-3 nights).

Is there anyone who could maybe share their experiences of going into education with something similar,how they found it & also any information on what assistance is available inthe form of counselling etc if it was deemed necessary (i'm currently incounselling, & looking at going for CBT after)?

This is one of the main reasons I've put off going into higher education as I've felt (still fell to an extent) apprehension on how I'd cope, or a fear of failing due to lack ofconcentration & motivation due to the aforementioned. The other reason wasthe debt I'd incur, but I've came to the point of thinking "to the hellwith it" in regards to that.

*Is that something typically communicated to teaching staff / college / Uni? I wouldn't exactly want to but if it's something to be transparent about then I'd reconsider.

If you've read this far, thanks. Didn't quite mean for this to be such a wall of text
(edited 8 years ago)
Afaik (check)you have 2 options.

1. Access course taken at your local college and a 24+ loan.
Course finder
https://www.accesstohe.ac.uk/Pages/Default.aspx
Funding
https://www.gov.uk/advanced-learning-loans/overview

2. Foundation course at Uni funded by normal SFE funding as part of your degree studies.
They are typically a year to prepare you for the main degree. They alss give you an advantage to being accepted on a degree at the same institution, but cna be accepted elsehwere.

You will need to check the uni you are interested in to see what foundation courses they offer. I couldnt find a central source(probably my lack of knowledge)
Maybe use UCAS to id the degree you want, then seach the uni site to see whether theres an access course for it would be my approach, there mau be a much simpler method.
http://search.ucas.com/
https://www.gov.uk/student-finance/overview

PTSD

No idea, but when choosing your degree the contact the dedicated disability office all unis have and chat with them about how they would be able to cater for your disability. Most unis with thousands of students will have dealt with your situation or similar, so listen and see if it inpsires confidence they will cater for you properly. If it affects your work then i would inform my tutor.
Reply 2
Original post by FashanuToeFu
Hey. I'm just seeking a little clarity on this, so any info' / advice is immensly appreciated.

In a nutshell, to summarise how I've came to the decision to pursue a journey on an academic path (albeit I'm a little undecided on what path exactly that is to be) - I'm approaching 27, & my living circumstances are to change quite drastically over the next year having been living with my grandparents for around a decade or so.

I've put a pursuit into higher education off for around 4-5 years now, having worked numerous temporary / semi-permanent jobs along the way, & feel like if I don't take some kind of action within this year (as opposed to 'next year' )then I'll be telling myself the same thing in 5 years time.

Having looked at pathways to Uni, I'm looking at a year or two at College (to gain enough UCAS points) before applying. I understand what financial support is available once I get to the Uni stage, in terms of loans to cover tuition / basic living costs but don't quite understand what is available for mature college goers outside of covering tuition fees.

Looking at full-time courses & working part-time, would I be eligible for a maintenance loan to helpwith rent etc (since I'll have to be renting a flat / houseshare in the coming months regardless), or is that only for Uni students? Also, if it is possible to receive that kind of loan - is it then still available to go through Uni with? In essence - is there a limit on the amount I can loan?

AFAIK the Gov's changes to grants is due to be implemented from this acamdemic year onwards (meaning taking out a further loan to over the same amount in mataintance). Meaning I'd be looking at £80k+ for the 5-6 years of study (college + Uni). That is, if what I'm seeking clarity on above is right....

On another note - I've recently been diagnosed with PTSD* due to a childhood trauma (severe nightmares being the main symptom, which I've had since around age 12). This impacts my focus / concentration somewhat when it flares up, mainly due (imo) to how itaffects my quality of sleep (2 hours or so per night - in more severe casesI might not be able to sleep at all for 1-3 nights).

Is there anyone who could maybe share their experiences of going into education with something similar,how they found it & also any information on what assistance is available inthe form of counselling etc if it was deemed necessary (i'm currently incounselling, & looking at going for CBT after)?

This is one of the main reasons I've put off going into higher education as I've felt (still fell to an extent) apprehension on how I'd cope, or a fear of failing due to lack ofconcentration & motivation due to the aforementioned. The other reason wasthe debt I'd incur, but I've came to the point of thinking "to the hellwith it" in regards to that.

*Is that something typically communicated to teaching staff / college / Uni? I wouldn't exactly want to but if it's something to be transparent about then I'd reconsider.

If you've read this far, thanks. Didn't quite mean for this to be such a wall of text

How much is renting a flat going to cost?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending