The Student Room Group
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge

American's chances at Oxbridge postgrad acceptance

Hi all,

I'm an American student looking into PhD/DPhil programs for a 2017/18 start. I graduated from a small American liberal arts college (very rigorous, but not internationally known) in 2014, and I will have a 3.5 undergrad GPA (~2:1) by the time I apply to graduate programs (I'm taking 2 post-bac summer classes to boost my GPA from 3.4). I completed 5 independent biology research projects and a microbiology thesis during undergrad (top marks on thesis). After graduating university, I worked for a year in an internationally renowned TB research lab in New York City. In the year before I (hopefully) start my PhD, I will be getting my MSc in Clinical Microbiology at Nottingham.

I'm very interested in research programs at Cambridge (Wellcome Trust Sanger Institute 4-year PhD: Pathogen Variation) and Oxford (Zoology: Infectious Disease). Both schools are interpreting a 2:1 as an American GPA of 3.5. With the qualifications I have listed above, do you think it's possible to get into these programs with the minimum academic requirement (i.e. a 3.5 GPA)?

Thanks!
You've got two similar threads. Only the unis you're applying to can tell you how they view your profile.
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge
For PHD consideration at Oxbridge, how relevant will satisfactory/lower undergraduate grades reflect for admission when also achieving first class masters at a top university?
If you're the best candidate for the position then you will be considered but bear in mind that a good masters degree doesn't make up for poor undergrad results and Oxbridge will be massively oversubscribed and can afford to be picky. Go somewhere that matches your research interests well. Experience also helps a lot if your grades aren't great.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ravemaedchen
For PHD consideration at Oxbridge, how relevant will satisfactory/lower undergraduate grades reflect for admission when also achieving first class masters at a top university?

For Cambridge: your undergraduate qualifications need to meet the University Minimum Requirements of 2i or equivalent. This is a University standard and can't be overridden by the departments (although they can make an Academic Case for exceptional circumstances).

Further information:

http://www.graduate.study.cam.ac.uk/entry-requirements/academic-requirements

http://www.graduate.study.cam.ac.uk/international-students/international-qualifications
Reply 5
Original post by jfar18
Hi all,

I'm an American student looking into PhD/DPhil programs for a 2017/18 start. I graduated from a small American liberal arts college (very rigorous, but not internationally known) in 2014, and I will have a 3.5 undergrad GPA (~2:1) by the time I apply to graduate programs (I'm taking 2 post-bac summer classes to boost my GPA from 3.4). I completed 5 independent biology research projects and a microbiology thesis during undergrad (top marks on thesis). After graduating university, I worked for a year in an internationally renowned TB research lab in New York City. In the year before I (hopefully) start my PhD, I will be getting my MSc in Clinical Microbiology at Nottingham.

I'm very interested in research programs at Cambridge (Wellcome Trust Sanger Institute 4-year PhD: Pathogen Variation) and Oxford (Zoology: Infectious Disease). Both schools are interpreting a 2:1 as an American GPA of 3.5. With the qualifications I have listed above, do you think it's possible to get into these programs with the minimum academic requirement (i.e. a 3.5 GPA)?

Thanks!

Not my field but from what I've heard about the Cam WTSI it is very competitive. Minimum grades likely won't be enough; talking up the other stuff you mentioned re thesis and lab work may help. Have backup options.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending