The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by nisha.sri
Like omg well done speechless :smile:
Please could you check out my blog thank you x
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3934631

Thanks! I will check out your blog soon! I had a quick look - it looks nice :smile:
Original post by orangestar123
How would you revise for the new gcse english- i also want a 7/8/ or 9, but its really difficult and reallly hard. TIPS PLZ

I am not the best in terms of English but I will give you as much tips as I can as it is a subject I am improving in and have improved in it greatly in the past year.

I would focus on basics - get those important quotes into your head and keep testing yourself to know you have learnt them. You will have to walk into that exam with the quotes in your head so please learn them (if you get the quote close to the actual thing said you still get marks so don't worry).

TSR is actually helping us with essay writing - here. Watch the video and read the article because it has some great tips to get top grades in essay writing which you will have to do in English. Some very important things you need to do is:

1) Watch the time in the exam. Plan it too. So for example if the exam is 1 hour - dedicate 10 minutes to planning then 50 minutes to writing.
2) Don't waffle and just describe, you get marks for that but you get more marks in your explanations and links. I suggest you use PEE to structure your essay paragraphs. It stand for Point Evidence Explanation. There are many different ways of structuring such as PEER, PEEAR, PEEA, PEEL that you may have heard of, they all derive from PEE which is the same thing.
3) Check check check check check check.... can't stress that enough. If you check you could save your arse in the exam, just checking alone could be the difference between a grade 8 and a 9... so check all the time. This really applies to all subjects - you must always check your work in the exams. I always check my paper when I finish it until the exam ends - I know some teachers say "check 3 times" but don't - keep checking until that exam ends no matter how boring it is it can save you marks.

By the looks of it I'm waffling... I hope this helps! :smile:
Update 02/04/2016

I managed to get some work done today despite there being a wedding I had to go to. I only need to do C2.5 then I am done for Chemistry, hopefully Biology should be quick as I find it easier to do than Chemistry. Sorry there's not much to write today and updating you guys so late, see you tomorrow!
Original post by MrMackyTv
Update 02/04/2016

I managed to get some work done today despite there being a wedding I had to go to. I only need to do C2.5 then I am done for Chemistry, hopefully Biology should be quick as I find it easier to do than Chemistry. Sorry there's not much to write today and updating you guys so late, see you tomorrow!

How do you revise for science? :biggrin:
How do you revise for science? :biggrin:

In short:

Type Notes -> Read and Highlight Notes -> Flashcards for keywords -> Past Papers

:smile:
Update 04/04/16

Awesome day today!

I went to visit the placement for work experience and it was great! I got to meet the team for the company I am going to for the 2 day placement - I shook hands and the lady sorted out my work experience showed me around their tiny - but lovely office! :smile: I was shown the board room - where they do their meetings - I was shown the office area - the kitchen which they share with other companies on the same floor - it was just really nice - it was only ten minutes anyways. I am looking forward to work experience with them in May! After I left the building to go home I couldn't resist the Starbucks that was literally next door to the office building... I'm sorry! I went and ordered a caramel frappuccino - I feel bad! :tongue:

I am not planning to do much today - I might start memorising my French tonight but today is the last day I will breathe. The rest of this week - as shown below in the study planner - will be very very very busy.

Capture.PNG
Yes yes yes I know it doesn't look realistic but unfortunately I have to be ambitious because this is the max I know I can do. That means early nights, no video games until 1h+ breaks and controlling your time on the games - don't get hooked! I will make sure I will put a post-it note somewhere on my near my computer and playstation to remind me of that - since I am not good at sticking to plans.
Update 04/04/16

Awesome day today!

I went to visit the placement for work experience and it was great! I got to meet the team for the company I am going to for the 2 day placement - I shook hands and the lady sorted out my work experience showed me around their tiny - but lovely office! :smile: I was shown the board room - where they do their meetings - I was shown the office area - the kitchen which they share with other companies on the same floor - it was just really nice - it was only ten minutes anyways. I am looking forward to work experience with them in May! After I left the building to go home I couldn't resist the Starbucks that was literally next door to the office building... I'm sorry! I went and ordered a caramel frappuccino - I feel bad! :tongue:

I am not planning to do much today - I might start memorising my French tonight but today is the last day I will breathe. The rest of this week - as shown below in the study planner - will be very very very busy.

Capture.PNG
Yes yes yes I know it doesn't look realistic but unfortunately I have to be ambitious because this is the max I know I can do. That means early nights, no video games until 1h+ breaks and controlling your time on the games - don't get hooked! I will make sure I will put a post-it note somewhere on my near my computer and playstation to remind me of that - since I am not good at sticking to plans.

I'm glad that your work experience interview was successful. I'm still in the middle of actually getting them to sign the form as the person whom interviewed me has left her job and they don't have the damn form. I got a new constituency office to look forward to and the House of Commons in July as I shadow my MP.

Talking of Starbucks, I might actually go there tomorrow if I could be bothered. :P

Speaking of studying/revising, I haven't got much done as I'm distracted from my family members, ugh! If I had a damn laptop (which I don't), I would've been out of the house by 9am and stay in the library to do my damn work. I still need to make notes on the Cuban missile crisis for History and I'm certain I wouldn't get this done by this week.
Update 04/04/16

Awesome day today!

Capture.PNG

Yay :smile: Glad you had a good day!
I went to my work experience place today as well lol. Took a bit longer to get there though (1 hour on the bus each way!) for only 20 minutes there so wasn't really worth it tbh.
I'm currently doing a terrible job of doing my homework as my mum is ill and my siblings are driving me mental. There's no food and no one as eaten much since breakfast (actually I think my brother ate at work when he went with my mum and my sister made a bacon sandwich so maybe they have eaten) and my sister decided she had to make cakes and not clear up afterwards which means there is mess all over the kitchen which I'm gonna end up clearing up :frown: I've texted my dad to come home and he said in a few minutes so in about an hour it might have left which means I'm putting them to bed as well. I love my life so much :biggrin:
A day off is good for you! When I went on holiday there were quite a few speakers and one said that there was a study which showed that someone who took a day off a week was healthier, more motivated and more likely to do well :smile:
Original post by JTran38
I'm glad that your work experience interview was successful. I'm still in the middle of actually getting them to sign the form as the person whom interviewed me has left her job and they don't have the damn form. I got a new constituency office to look forward to and the House of Commons in July as I shadow my MP.

Talking of Starbucks, I might actually go there tomorrow if I could be bothered. :P

Speaking of studying/revising, I haven't got much done as I'm distracted from my family members, ugh! If I had a damn laptop (which I don't), I would've been out of the house by 9am and stay in the library to do my damn work. I still need to make notes on the Cuban missile crisis for History and I'm certain I wouldn't get this done by this week.

I thought you ordered your laptop??
If departments particularly in the government actually spoke to each other things would happen a lot quicker lol
Take a break and go to Starbucks! It will be good for you!
Original post by Lemur14
I thought you ordered your laptop??
If departments particularly in the government actually spoke to each other things would happen a lot quicker lol
Take a break and go to Starbucks! It will be good for you!

I haven't, I'm still saving up for one lol.

Well my MP is a very busy person compared to other MPs so it isn't exactly easy and I don't think they can speed things up.

If I could be bothered to walk to my nearest tube station then I will reach Starbucks for my deserved treat :P .
Original post by JTran38
I haven't, I'm still saving up for one lol.

Well my MP is a very busy person compared to other MPs so it isn't exactly easy and I don't think they can speed things up.

If I could be bothered to walk to my nearest tube station then I will reach Starbucks for my deserved treat :P .

Oh, I thought your parents were buying it for you
My MP is the one who put us in all this education mess! I think that says it all. Our area would never vote anything other than conservative which is why he was put in this constituency. I wasn't just talking about your MP, I was just saying when departments actually pass information on to each other (eg your form before they leave) then things would happen quicker.
When you're feeling stressed take the walk to clear your head and give yourself the treat :tongue:
Original post by Lemur14
Oh, I thought your parents were buying it for you
My MP is the one who put us in all this education mess! I think that says it all. Our area would never vote anything other than conservative which is why he was put in this constituency. I wasn't just talking about your MP, I was just saying when departments actually pass information on to each other (eg your form before they leave) then things would happen quicker.
When you're feeling stressed take the walk to clear your head and give yourself the treat :tongue:

Well technically my parents can buy it for me but that's my issue to deal with. I'm lucky, my area votes Labour mostly as the council is Labour controlled as all three MPs are Labour. I used to have a Lib Dem MP until he was defeated by my current MP after the coalition mess.

Your MP is Nicky Morgan or her predecessor? Either way they've wrecked our education system and this govt is a mess.
[QUOTE=JTran38;63904767]Well technically my parents can buy it for me but that's my issue to deal with. I'm lucky, my area votes Labour mostly as the council is Labour controlled as all three MPs are Labour. I used to have a Lib Dem MP until he was defeated by my current MP after the coalition mess.

Your MP is Nicky Morgan or her predecessor? Either way they've wrecked our education system and this govt is a mess.

In our county council we have a few lib dem/labour but most are tory as you would expect. Our sub area is all 3 tory though. My mp was Nicky's predecessor. I tend to assume everyone knows who he is just because everyone round here knows him and doesn't like him! He definitely has keft his mark on the education system though!
I'm lib dem through and through (and i have no idea why either I just am) and I hope people realise what a good job the lib dems did at stopping the tories in the last 5 years now that they've gone and hopefully they'll get more seats next election.
Original post by JTran38

I guess you could call it an interview but it just lasted ten minutes, very short visit, sort of pointless but it shows them I'm dedicated to the placement. Maybe after I finish and if it's good, I can offer them for a longer work experience in the summer holidays (hopefully get a little cash as well :smile: (I wouldn't mind if I don't get any, more to write on my CV :smile:)).

They really need to sort their act out. Don't you have a deadline for the form?Mine went when Easter started, so I was quite lucky because it took a while for the lady who sorted out my work experience to reply - don't blame her though, she was quite busy and at least she apolgised for replying late!

Go man.... trust me. You will feel so much better after having Starbucks. Starbucks is love, Starbucks if life. I might go during the week just to get out of the house and go to the city library (I love the city library it is so pretty, some people think it's an ugly addition to the Birmingham skyline...but it has a terrace where you can see the view! It's cool!).

Don't tell me that's not the best library in the world lol.

Talking about studying my first session starts in an hour! Hopefully the studying goes well for you, it is really hard to concentrate and not get distracted. I might actually start going to the library after I have finished my notes and do past papers there. It might make me work harder and not get distracted as much :smile:
Update 04/04/16

Awesome day today!

Capture.PNG

Your doing a lot of French but well done overall :smile: Keep up the hard work :smile:
Your doing a lot of French but well done overall :smile: Keep up the hard work :smile:

Yup, because I got a retest next week Thursday so I want to at least get started now. I sent Miss one of my question re-do and she hasn't came back to me on feedback yet so I'm not going to waste time waiting for her. Thanks, I will keep up the hard work (hopefully :tongue:)!
I guess you could call it an interview but it just lasted ten minutes, very short visit, sort of pointless but it shows them I'm dedicated to the placement. Maybe after I finish and if it's good, I can offer them for a longer work experience in the summer holidays (hopefully get a little cash as well :smile: (I wouldn't mind if I don't get any, more to write on my CV :smile:)).

They really need to sort their act out. Don't you have a deadline for the form?Mine went when Easter started, so I was quite lucky because it took a while for the lady who sorted out my work experience to reply - don't blame her though, she was quite busy and at least she apolgised for replying late!

Go man.... trust me. You will feel so much better after having Starbucks. Starbucks is love, Starbucks if life. I might go during the week just to get out of the house and go to the city library (I love the city library it is so pretty, some people think it's an ugly addition to the Birmingham skyline...but it has a terrace where you can see the view! It's cool!).

Don't tell me that's not the best library in the world lol.

Talking about studying my first session starts in an hour! Hopefully the studying goes well for you, it is really hard to concentrate and not get distracted. I might actually start going to the library after I have finished my notes and do past papers there. It might make me work harder and not get distracted as much :smile:

First of all I would like to apologise for the slightly off topic discussion with @Lemur14 , I've moved this to the current Year 10 thread instead. - Still I don't think you'll mind. :P

My interview took ages as we basically had a discussion about what I was and what I expected from the placement blah blah blah. From what I know, I don't have a deadline for the form but I need to send the other person a new form to sign and fill in the form.

I would consider a Summer placement as well but I can't as Parliament would be in recess and the only thing I can do is help out in my constituency. Even though, I'll probably be on holiday, lol.

I'll head to Starbucks for lunch maybe unless otherwise as I really need to escape from family life sometimes as it can do my head in at times.

I've heard about the Birmingham city library before on the news back a few years ago and from the pictures it absolutely stunning, even my council's newest library isn't that stunning. At least my local library is near to a Starbucks which is good as then I would dodge the indoors cafe.
Original post by JTran38
First of all I would like to apologise for the slightly off topic discussion with @Lemur14 , I've moved this to the current Year 10 thread instead. - Still I don't think you'll mind. :P

My interview took ages as we basically had a discussion about what I was and what I expected from the placement blah blah blah. From what I know, I don't have a deadline for the form but I need to send the other person a new form to sign and fill in the form.

I would consider a Summer placement as well but I can't as Parliament would be in recess and the only thing I can do is help out in my constituency. Even though, I'll probably be on holiday, lol.

I'll head to Starbucks for lunch maybe unless otherwise as I really need to escape from family life sometimes as it can do my head in at times.

I've heard about the Birmingham city library before on the news back a few years ago and from the pictures it absolutely stunning, even my council's newest library isn't that stunning. At least my local library is near to a Starbucks which is good as then I would dodge the indoors cafe.

I don't mind, off-topic is good if you want to get your mind of work all the time! :smile:

Hopefully it is a charismatic person that was talking or else I would be quite bored. When I went the lady was quite smiley and asked me about how my holiday was, how I found the company and about market research. She told me what the job involves and pretty much answered nearly all my questions that I wanted her to answer in the email. I did have more questions but my mind went blank when she asked me on the spot so she said to email me if I have any questions. I hope you get that form signed though. How long is your placement for? Mine is two days, 9th and 10th May which means I will miss double IT YES! :biggrin:

Ah, you could always try something else that you thought you wouldn't like but now you do. There's no harm in exploring, see what else interests you and maybe look into getting a placement for that in the summer (if you're not on holiday lol).

There's a Starbucks in the library too! I am pretty sure in central London, nearly every street you turn on there is a Starbucks? Am I right? I wish if it was like that up here because that would be heaven. I have a local library but it's old and barely anyone goes there and there's no Starbucks... so that's a no (lol I won't go anywhere unless there is a Starbucks nearby).
Original post by Lemur14
Yay :smile: Glad you had a good day!
I went to my work experience place today as well lol. Took a bit longer to get there though (1 hour on the bus each way!) for only 20 minutes there so wasn't really worth it tbh.
I'm currently doing a terrible job of doing my homework as my mum is ill and my siblings are driving me mental. There's no food and no one as eaten much since breakfast (actually I think my brother ate at work when he went with my mum and my sister made a bacon sandwich so maybe they have eaten) and my sister decided she had to make cakes and not clear up afterwards which means there is mess all over the kitchen which I'm gonna end up clearing up :frown: I've texted my dad to come home and he said in a few minutes so in about an hour it might have left which means I'm putting them to bed as well. I love my life so much :biggrin:
A day off is good for you! When I went on holiday there were quite a few speakers and one said that there was a study which showed that someone who took a day off a week was healthier, more motivated and more likely to do well :smile:

Sorry I forgot to reply to you, I was too busy talking about Starbucks with @JTran38.

1 hour bus! My journey took 40 minutes (including walking) it wasn't that bad because it wasn't rush hour so the metro wasn't packed (thank dear lord jesus or else I would be amongst a swarm of commuters! It's not nice... My journey wasn't really worth it but actually I got lost! I didn't know which building it was and the number of the building was hidden on the inside part of the wall so I didn't see it until I walked back! So I will know where it is now, if I didn't visit maybe I would be late because of that which I don't want to happen! :eek:

Oh man, sorry that's happening for ya. I hope your Mom gets better and your siblings stop bothering you. I can see it's effecting you mentally since you need to get that homework done but you also have other priorities, sort of a dilemma here. Make sure you eat in the morning, you are going to need the energy for the whole day if you're doing any cleaning or physical tasks. Next thing we don't want to happen is for you to pass out because you're not eating in the morning (happened to me because of stress too). Life is life, I thought it would be bunnies and butterflies when I was younger... I learnt the hard way lol.

Oh wow, that's good then. I don't feel bad that I haven't done much yesterday then! I woke up early today to just do replies on here, next session starts in half an hour so I am probably going to eat then get started with work when 10:00AM comes. My next break would be 12:00PM, hopefully I survive that (it's Chemistry - which I think is the most boring science to write notes up for). Good luck to you, hopefully you get your work done as well as look after everyone else (that sounds pretty hard to balance!).
(edited 8 years ago)
I don't mind, off-topic is good if you want to get your mind of work all the time! :smile:

Hopefully it is a charismatic person that was talking or else I would be quite bored. When I went the lady was quite smiley and asked me about how my holiday was, how I found the company and about market research. She told me what the job involves and pretty much answered nearly all my questions that I wanted her to answer in the email. I did have more questions but my mind went blank when she asked me on the spot so she said to email me if I have any questions. I hope you get that form signed though. How long is your placement for? Mine is two days, 9th and 10th May which means I will miss double IT YES! :biggrin:

Ah, you could always try something else that you thought you wouldn't like but now you do. There's no harm in exploring, see what else interests you and maybe look into getting a placement for that in the summer (if you're not on holiday lol).

There's a Starbucks in the library too! I am pretty sure in central London, nearly every street you turn on there is a Starbucks? Am I right? I wish if it was like that up here because that would be heaven. I have a local library but it's old and barely anyone goes there and there's no Starbucks... so that's a no (lol I won't go anywhere unless there is a Starbucks nearby).

She was a charismatic women so that was good, sad that she has left her job but her colleague is very nice. My placement is for a week starting from 4th July and I can't wait.

Of course there's no harm in trying something new but tbh I don't know what to try. I'll have a think if I have nothing to do in the Summer holidays.

London has a lot of Costa, Starbucks etc everywhere of course. As I'm in South East London almost touching the East border, I do have one near me but I'll have to walk. If I'm lazy I can take a short bus ride :P .

Latest

Trending

Trending