The Student Room Group

How many past papers would you say is enough for a module in maths

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by Someboady
How many marks out of 75 is generally considered 100% UMS and how many is considered 95% UMS?

74-75/75 is usually 100. 95 would be around 71-72. Probably higher for FP2, S2 and S3 and lower for FP3. Depends on the grade boundaries.

Original post by tiny hobbit

If you've got them from elsewhere, has the website removed that information?

No, I believe they still have that info. Why hasn't Graham done any for later modules like M3-5, S3-4 and FP2-3? Is it due to the lack of demand?
Original post by tiny hobbit
The original Bronze, Silver and Gold papers as put together by Graham and Mark at Edexcel have the suggested grade boundaries on the front, from which you can work out your UMS.

If you've got them from elsewhere, has the website removed that information?

I got them from tallis maths I think??

Original post by undercxver
That looks really good! :zomg:

I should have done this. :cry:

IT TOOK ME SO LONG!!

There's still time though!
Original post by sweeneyrod
STEP doesn't exactly make FP2 easy in the same way as e.g. C1. At least for me, C1 is easy because I can breeze through a paper without actually thinking; FP2 is easier than STEP because I know roughly how to answer each question, not because actually doing so is trivial.

Fair enough. That makes sense
Reply 43
1. Do a past paper in a module
2. If you got less than 95% go to step 1
Are IAL papers generally harder than normal past papers? It felt slightly harder and took me about 20 minutes more than a standard C4 paper
Original post by aymanzayedmannan
Why hasn't Graham done any for later modules like M3-5, S3-4 and FP2-3? Is it due to the lack of demand?

Probably. They are, after all, just the questions from actual papers rearranged into a different order, you're not getting any new questions from them.

There are 30 M3 papers (plus the IAL ones), 21 M4 and 16 M5 if I can count accurately. Won't that keep you going for a bit?
Original post by Someboady
Are IAL papers generally harder than normal past papers? It felt slightly harder and took me about 20 minutes more than a standard C4 paper

Which paper was this? The only IAL C4 paper was in January 2014. The C34 papers are 2hrs 30 minutes.
Reply 47
Original post by sweeneyrod
STEP doesn't exactly make FP2 easy in the same way as e.g. C1. At least for me, C1 is easy because I can breeze through a paper without actually thinking; FP2 is easier than STEP because I know roughly how to answer each question, not because actually doing so is trivial.

Really? Do you do all three STEP's? I can autopilot through an FP2 paper as easily as a C1 paper thanks to STEP (III).
Original post by Zacken
Really? Do you do all three STEP's? I can autopilot through an FP2 paper as easily as a C1 paper thanks to STEP (III).

Well, hopefully! I've not started III yet, although I am but a a lowly CompSci, so I only need 1, 2.
@EnglishMuon suggested that I do some STEP mechanics questions which has really helped my understanding for some topics I didn't feel comfortable in,
and essentially has improved my timing in M1, M2 mechanics papers. I don't know how much it'll help, but it sure has helped me. By the way, you should aim to have done most of the review and mixed exercises in the book particularly for the mechanics modules - this will essentially help you go through past papers very quickly with little trouble aiming for 100%.
Hey maths people,
What's a good method for revising maths? I'm aiming for the same as the OP, around 95% UMS for C1, C2 and S1. These are the only modules I do so I'm not really very mathematical - how do you guys revise to get top marks?
Original post by Marxist
@EnglishMuon suggested that I do some STEP mechanics questions which has really helped my understanding for some topics I didn't feel comfortable in,
and essentially has improved my timing in M1, M2 mechanics papers. I don't know how much it'll help, but it sure has helped me. By the way, you should aim to have done most of the review and mixed exercises in the book particularly for the mechanics modules - this will essentially help you go through past papers very quickly with little trouble aiming for 100%.

Original post by PanickingYear12
Hey maths people,
What's a good method for revising maths? I'm aiming for the same as the OP, around 95% UMS for C1, C2 and S1. These are the only modules I do so I'm not really very mathematical - how do you guys revise to get top marks?

Even though you may not think you are very mathematical, challenging yourself with some of the easier STEP I questions will really help. This is because the act of struggling will help your problem solving skills (even if it feels very hard at the time!) so when they ask nontrivial questions in your C1,2 exams, you will understand the topic enough to work them out yourself. I noticed that this was a widespread problem for people last year- they were used to completing the same questions just with different numbers shoved in so in the exam when they asked something slightly different they lost marks. I doubt you'd find it that bad yourself since you seem proactive and determined but hopefully this can help :smile: (essentially what Marxist said :tongue:, thanks for tagging me)
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 52
Original post by EnglishMuon

I'd advise looking at the MAT if you haven't covered C1-4 yet but have only covered C1-2 as PanickingYear12 has.
Original post by Zacken
I'd advise looking at the MAT if you haven't covered C1-4 yet but have only covered C1-2 as PanickingYear12 has.

ah yep thats probably better!
Original post by EnglishMuon
Even though you may not think you are very mathematical, challenging yourself with some of the easier STEP I questions will really help. This is because the act of struggling will help your problem solving skills (even if it feels very hard at the time!) so when they ask nontrivial questions in your C1,2 exams, you will understand the topic enough to work them out yourself. I noticed that this was a widespread problem for people last year- they were used to completing the same questions just with different numbers shoved in so in the exam when they asked something slightly different they lost marks. I doubt you'd find it that bad yourself since you seem proactive and determined but hopefully this can help :smile: (essentially what Marxist said :tongue:, thanks for tagging me)

Haha, I was looking for the categorised questions. The mechanics(you could say my weakness) questions in STEP II weren't as tough as I thought it would be :teehee:- I did one on statics of a rigid body which turned out to be really nice to do - I'll try show you at the end of the day. The pure questions seem to be easier than the mechanics questions for some reason. Idk, personal preference maybe.
Reply 55
Original post by Marxist
Haha, I was looking for the categorised questions.

Have you seen the categorised list of STEP II questions I put up a few weeks ago?
Original post by PanickingYear12
Hey maths people,

If you've got examwizard, I'd suggest you look up the topics you don't do well on and tackle that - that ultimately helps you with exam papers. I'm not so sure about looking up MAT or STEP questions - one of my friends got 100% on all of the 3 that you're doing without having to do that but doing what I suggested. Essentially, weed out the weaknesses and make sure you're doing topics you feel comfortable in at breakneck speed.
Original post by Zacken
Have you seen the categorised list of STEP II questions I put up a few weeks ago?

Nope, can you link me?
Original post by Plagioclase
There is no number that's enough, that's not how it works. You do as much practice as you need to get the grades you want. The sensible thing is to do every paper that's available to you, you certainly have the time for that.

nice information

Quick Reply

Latest