The Student Room Group

Postgraduate Loans

I am concerned that eligibility for the postgraduate student loan requires that the student 'must have been most recently resident in England, and must not have moved there from elsewhere in the UK and Islands solely for the purpose of attending the course.' I am originally from the East Midlands, where I lived until I went to University in Wales. I then stayed for a year after I graduated to gain work experience, with the intention of moving back to England after a year. Does this mean that I will not be eligible for a loan because I will not be able to prove that I am not moving for the purposes of further study?
Original post by CERennie
I am concerned that eligibility for the postgraduate student loan requires that the student 'must have been most recently resident in England, and must not have moved there from elsewhere in the UK and Islands solely for the purpose of attending the course.' I am originally from the East Midlands, where I lived until I went to University in Wales. I then stayed for a year after I graduated to gain work experience, with the intention of moving back to England after a year. Does this mean that I will not be eligible for a loan because I will not be able to prove that I am not moving for the purposes of further study?

If you can prove that you had an intention to move back to England then you'll be classed as ordinarily resident. Things like your parents still living in England (or even better if you can prove that your employment in Wales was temporary) or if you can prove any other ties to England. If you've kept your parents address for correspondence with the SLC that would be a good piece of evidence too.

The intention is that English residents who have moved to Scotland/Wales/NI for university will be eligible - the only issue is whether staying out of England for employment after graduating might muddy the waters.

We're still waiting for the official guidance on how they will determine residence to be released. I'd recommend applying anyway - worst case scenario they say that you're not eligible, you move back to England to work and next year you're reassessed as being ordinarily resident in England because you've proved that your stay in Wales was temporary.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending