The Student Room Group

Should I wait three years?

Hello again, guys haha
I'll try to keep it short:
I was in my first year at Uni in Brazil studying Engineering and then moved to London because my mother lives here and wanted to study in the UK.
Since my mom is European and I have an european passport as well, I thought I could simply move to London, start my course(I got an offer to do a foundation year at Uni of Liverpool) and then apply for loans and everything would be solved.
WRONG!
I didn't know that I had to be living here or in the EU area for three years in order to be classified as an EU/Home student and thus having access to loans and EU/ome fees.
Now I don't know what to do. I knew that I would pay the Overseas fees, but I thought I could get the student loan, which I can't and don't have money to pay around 18k per year.
I even thought about doing A-levels while I wait for these 3 years to pass(to become an Eu/Home student) so I could apply to better universities(like Imperial, Cambridge and Bath),but I am afraid I would be too old to start Uni :/
I'm already 20 years, if I wait those 3 years, I'll be 23!! :'(
What should I do?
Please help me :frown:((((
Original post by GiuDell
Hello again, guys haha
I'll try to keep it short:
I was in my first year at Uni in Brazil studying Engineering and then moved to London because my mother lives here and wanted to study in the UK.
Since my mom is European and I have an european passport as well, I thought I could simply move to London, start my course(I got an offer to do a foundation year at Uni of Liverpool) and then apply for loans and everything would be solved.
WRONG!
I didn't know that I had to be living here or in the EU area for three years in order to be classified as an EU/Home student and thus having access to loans and EU/ome fees.
Now I don't know what to do. I knew that I would pay the Overseas fees, but I thought I could get the student loan, which I can't and don't have money to pay around 18k per year.
I even thought about doing A-levels while I wait for these 3 years to pass(to become an Eu/Home student) so I could apply to better universities(like Imperial, Cambridge and Bath),but I am afraid I would be too old to start Uni :/
I'm already 20 years, if I wait those 3 years, I'll be 23!! :'(
What should I do?
Please help me :frown:((((

From March 24th it became 5 years so you need to seriously consider whether a full time degree is worth the wait, part time or distance learning would be cheaper and allow you to spread the cost more.
Reply 2
Original post by claireestelle
From March 24th it became 5 years so you need to seriously consider whether a full time degree is worth the wait, part time or distance learning would be cheaper and allow you to spread the cost more.

WHAT? You mean 5 years to become a British Citizen right? Or do you mean 5 years to be considered an EU/Home student EVEN if you have european passport and family?
Original post by GiuDell
WHAT? You mean 5 years to become a British Citizen right? Or do you mean 5 years to be considered an EU/Home student EVEN if you have european passport and family?

5 years to become a eu/home student as far as I m aware.
Reply 4
5 years to become a eu/home student as far as I m aware.

OMG, I can't believe this D:
I'm sorry for the dumb question, but do you know where I can find more about this?
Original post by GiuDell
OMG, I can't believe this D:
I'm sorry for the dumb question, but do you know where I can find more about this?

http://www.slc.co.uk/stakeholders-partners/latest-news/student-finance-england-service-updates/ssin-0616-extending-residency-requirements-for-eu-nationals.aspx
Reply 7
Original post by GiuDell
thanks for the link.
I wanna die now, good bye university and future

No, you just have to wait five years. Patience will get you where you want to be.
Original post by GiuDell
thanks for the link.
I wanna die now, good bye university and future

Stay hungry dude :cookie:

Sorry for messaging you here but I know that your more knowledable about
Student finance than myself. :frown:

Q) Is there a deadline on when I have to make my student finance application and sort everything out?

I have received all my 5 offers from university but I'm unsure what I want to
put as my firm/insurance particularly because I believe deep down and know that
I'm most likely going to go through adjustment because of the :work: I'm putting in atm.
Original post by XxKingSniprxX
Sorry for messaging you here but I know that your more knowledable about
Student finance than myself. :frown:

Q) Is there a deadline on when I have to make my student finance application and sort everything out?

I have received all my 5 offers from university but I'm unsure what I want to
put as my firm/insurance particularly because I believe deep down and know that
I'm most likely going to go through adjustment because of the :work: I'm putting in atm.

It's before the end of may to make sure you get it on time. You can just put where you suspect you'll be your firm and then change course details if you end up somewhere else, same for if you end up using adjustment :smile:
It's before the end of may to make sure you get it on time. You can just put where you suspect you'll be your firm and then change course details if you end up somewhere else, same for if you end up using adjustment :smile:

So in a way it doesn't matter where I put my firm/insurance if I know most likely I'm going to go through adjustment based upon past paper grades etc.

Also, is it a long procedure on results day to let student finance know that I've changed my university destination/place + If I automatically achieve higher grades than my firm do I have to let my firm know that I want to be released so I can look into adjustment or can I look through adjustment and when I receive a offer lets say 1-2 days after the phone call conversation then call my firm and tell them I'm withdrawing my application and taking the place at x university instead? :s-smilie:
Original post by XxKingSniprxX
So in a way it doesn't matter where I put my firm/insurance if I know most likely I'm going to go through adjustment based upon past paper grades etc.

Also, is it a long procedure on results day to let student finance know that I've changed my university destination/place + If I automatically achieve higher grades than my firm do I have to let my firm know that I want to be released so I can look into adjustment or can I look through adjustment and when I receive a offer lets say 1-2 days after the phone call conversation then call my firm and tell them I'm withdrawing my application and taking the place at x university instead? :s-smilie:

No it doesnt matter:smile:
Basically on results day, if you are eligible for adjustment a button appears on your track, if you click that you then get 5 days to contact universities about getting a place through adjustment. Your firm has to keep your place whilst you are in adjustment so it's pretty risk free (you don't have to be released or anything like that), if you dont find anything in those 5 days then your firm becomes unconditional. Does that make sense? :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending