The Student Room Group

This quote shows the lack of understanding some Muslims have for Western values

A Swiss secondary school has caused uproar by allowing two Muslim boys not to shake the hand of women teachers - a common greeting in Swiss schools. - BBC NEWS

I was reading through the above article when I came to this quote:

(the) Islamic Central Council of Switzerland said that a handshake between men and women was prohibited. "After the sex attacks in Cologne (on New Year's Eve), they asked Muslims to keep their distance from women; now they demand they get closer to them," spokesman Qaasim Illi told Swiss media.

I think this quote demonstrates the total lack of understanding some Muslims have of Western values, or our liberal post-enlightenment generally pragmatic understanding of ethics. They don't recognize the fact that what was so terrible about the Cologne sex attacks was that it was extremely harrowing for the victims. This guy probably just thinks the problem was that it was dirty and sinful in the eyes of God.

The problem with someone like him is that his morality is not based on his own reasoning, compassion, guilt, empathy, or pity, but begins and ends with a single book, and the question of will it or won't it please God. Essentially, he has no morality of his own.

Scroll to see replies

another brilliant example of muslim-european melting pot integration that we hear so much about...
I really wish the "lliberal left" could understand that multiculturalism + political correctness = dual monoculturalism and parallel communities.
the only way that you can have muslims integrating into the west is to not cower away from applying the law with a firm hand and not being phased by false racism accusations
if to apply the law to every individual equally is racism, then having muslims coming to the UK is a promotion of either selective-anarchy or muslim legal superiorities
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 2
Good for them for sticking to their beliefs and not compromising their religion.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by HAnwar
Good for them for sticking to their beliefs and not comprising their religion.

I think you mean compromise.

They're perfectly allowed to not compromise their beliefs, but if so they should go to a Muslim country where their archaic nonsense is more appropriate and accepted.

Their refusal to shake a woman's hand has no place in Western Europe. If they loathe everything we stand for in this part of the world to such an extent, then they should leave.
Original post by HAnwar
Good for them for sticking to their beliefs and not comprising their religion.

yet they choose to move to a western country rather than a muslim one.

But as we know Muslim countries don't have things like social security payments
From the article

Muslim groups also disagreed with the school's response.
There was no reference in the Koran justifying a refusal to shake a woman teacher's hand, said the Swiss Federation of Islamic Organisations. Saida Keller-Messahli of the Forum for Progressive Islam urged the Swiss not to give in to extremist demands.

Don't like our societies you know what you can do.........
No one should be forced to bend over to Western values if it goes against their faith. Good on them. Touching non-Mahram adults of the opposite gender is a not necessary at all for a greeting. Allah gave us speech for a reason.
Original post by digistar_100
No one should be forced to bend over to Western values if it goes against their faith. Good on them. Touching non-Mahram adults of the opposite gender is a not necessary at all for a greeting. Allah gave us speech for a reason.

Actually, that's exactly what they should to be forced to do.

The fact that some Muslims fail to understand this goes to the heart of the problem with Islam in this country.

Western values prime over religious considerations.
Reply 8

There is 0 logic to this comment.
Inb4 'Thread closed because Islamophobia *something something* no place in current year.'
Original post by KingBradly
There is 0 logic to this comment.

Why is it seen as a necessity to touch another womans hand if shes not your wife?
I think stubbornly conforming to these archaic values and beliefs, and refusing to accept the norms of a society you chose to inhabit is exactly the reason we're not progressing how we should be as a species.

Then don't come to western countries

Oh wait forgot social security payments free heath, education etc...
Original post by BristolFresher15
I think stubbornly conforming to these archaic values and beliefs, and refusing to accept the norms of a society you chose to inhabit is exactly the reason we're not progressing how we should be as a species.

Quite and it shows the parasitical nature of parts of this community have.

They want all the benefits but don't want to be part of it.
Why is it seen as a necessity to touch another womans hand if shes not your wife?

If nothing else it shows that you are civilised enough to be able to deal with women on grounds other than as a sex object or a chattel.

It also demonstrates assimilation, or some movement towards it.
(edited 8 years ago)
Yeah
unnacceptable
If I went to a Islamic country and was walking around with a bacon sandwich or with a girl that did not have a headscarf I could be arrested or even attacked by people
But asking for a handshake a symbol of peace and greeting is far too much for someone who is coming over here.
Whilst as a Muslim I think it is excessive to not shake hands and it is not prohibited in the Quran, there is no need to have such uproar over something so simple. They are not breaking laws by not shaking hands, they just have a difference of cultural upbringing and being understanding of this will not start world war 3.

As a first generation immigrant to the UK who's parents have worked for the NHS for the last 17 years, I can tell that you have underlying bigotry because not every immigrant is trying to get social security, they are simply trying to get a better life for themselves. If you are not human enough to empathise and think that they are second class citizens who do not deserve the same rights to freedom then that makes you evil, not the innocent people whose world was torn apart by a war they didn't ask for or by terrorists who mock their religion and kill their family members in the streets.

These people have lived through horrors that you would equate to as what hell is. Whilst the sex scandals were horrific the people who committed those crimes are vile, you cannot paint everyone with the same brush. They will adapt as everyone does to a new environment. They will learn the customs as I have and my family has, but these things don't happen over night, they are trying to stand on their feet after having the ground ripped out from under them and teething problems will happen, but assimilation is possible.

We are not barbaric, we are people who want a future, and whilst for many in western culture, a hand shake is seen as a sign of respect, for some (arguably incorrectly from a religious standpoint but not culturally) it is more intimate and uncomfortable to share with every person.
Original post by Good bloke
If nothing else it shows that you are civilised enough to be able to deal with women on grounds other than as a sex object or a chattel.

It also demonstrates assimilation, or some movement towards it.

Ah, But as you can see from a popular image. Muslim men (represented here as flies) apparently lack self control, when witnessing and interacting with a woman (objectified here as a lollipop). Hence the need for apparently a Hijab (wrapper) to deter these immature Muslim men with no self control. Even the effectiveness of the Hijab deterrence, from harassment from muslim men is questionable.

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/excommunications/2014/11/street-harassment-and-religious-objectification-of-women/

http://www.theguardian.com/world/iran-blog/2015/sep/15/iran-hijab-backfired-sexual-harassment?CMP=share_btn_tw

http://www.womenundersiegeproject.org/blog/entry/the-myth-of-how-the-hijab-protects-women-against-sexual-assault

(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by AperfectBalance
If I went to a Islamic country and was walking around with a bacon sandwich or with a girl that did not have a headscarf I could be arrested or even attacked by people
But asking for a handshake a symbol of peace and greeting is far too much for someone who is coming over here.

No you wouldn't?? Surprise, not everyone in an 'Islamic country' is Muslim or wears a headscarf. The only country where that would be true is Saudi Arabia. Go to any other country and not all the Muslim women wear headscarfs.

Latest

Trending

Trending