The Student Room Group

A2 Edexcel Geography 2016 Contested Planet/Geographical Research

Scroll to see replies

Original post by OrdinaryStudent
Okay thanks I guess that makes sense :smile:

What book did you use to make energy notes?

Thank me later :biggrin:
Really? How comes? I was told to revise 3 in case one question is very awkward.

Yeah I've been told that too, but I'd rather learn two topics in more depth; I really don't have time to do anything unnecessary this year.

Also, you don't learn another unit in other subjects, just incase a strange question comes up. You learn your chosen units in depth, so that you understand any potentially strange questions.
Original post by Tom5pence

Thanks so much!! :smile:

do you have water too? :colondollar:
do you have water too? :colondollar:

I do, Im at the gym atm, I will attach it when I get home tonight. Was the last one useful?
Original post by Vickigrimshaw98
I am also doing Cultural Diversity for Unit 4! Dreading it to be honest!!! How do you feel about it?

i'm doung cultural diveersity too but im really lost, do you have any revision sources or case studies?
any help is appreacited
I do, Im at the gym atm, I will attach it when I get home tonight. Was the last one useful?

Okay thanks a lot :biggrin:

I havent used the last one yet as im doing water at the moment, but I had a read through of some parts and it looks very good! Did you make it yourself? There are a lot of new case studies which I haven't seen in the text books :smile:
(Other than pre release) is anyone just revising very in depth for 2 unit 3 topics? I am doing water and energy

yes, i'm doing energy and water in great depth
how are you revising for them? :smile:
PLEASE HELP ME I HAVE NO TEACHER RIGHT NOW AND I DONT KNOW WHAT THE UNIT 4 TECTONICS PRE RELEASE IS

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by abbievictoria
PLEASE HELP ME I HAVE NO TEACHER RIGHT NOW AND I DONT KNOW WHAT THE UNIT 4 TECTONICS PRE RELEASE IS

Posted from TSR Mobile

Someone posted both the pre-releases on the first page of this thread :smile:
Can you post what you wrote in your mock?
Since I have no idea of what we are actually supposed to write and the structure of the unit 4 paper.
Any model answers would be appreciated!

thanks,

Katherine :smile:

Original post by Indigo.Brownhall
Okay, I'll try to give you a hand. I used this method for my mock in January, and it got an A* (not up my own ass, just letting you know the grade).

Because it is a report you HAVE to have sub headings and diagrams. There's no way around that unfortunately, you also have to have a very strong conclusion.

Introduction (just over 1 page)

Rephrase the question, and give a brief introduction into the topic, i quickly spoke about Alfred Wegener who came up with continental drift theory in 1912. THIS SHOULD BE JUST 1 SENTENCE, it is not part of the question, but it gives the examiner the impression that you know your :dolphin::dolphin::dolphin::dolphin:. Because this is a report, you have to quote all references, a large chunk of your marks come from referencing, and make sure you have a wide range also (books to web to youtube vids). Then give some definitions that are related to the qestions, so tectonic boundaries or intrusive and extrusive. It doesn't matter what the definitions are aslong as they are related to the question and make sure you reference!!!!!!!!

Then start a new paragraph "In this report..." then explain exactly what you are going to be talking about, and then give a quick introduction for the case studies you will be looking at. For example "For intrusive landforms, I shall be using Dartmoor, Isle of Arran and Wyoming National Park".

Methodology and Sourcing (one page)

This bit is simple and you can remember it before you go into the exam. But follow this design:

Case Study Rationale Source Bias

These should be your four headings and then all of your case studies underneath, in my mock I used 8 case studies to give you a rough idea. (3 intrusive, 3 extrusive, 2 from formations due to seismic activity).

Analysis (this can be any length, i wrote 5 pages)
I would split this section into 3 for the 3 areas of landforms you would be looking at. Then literally analyse them..give an introduction to which each one is, give a diagram of their formation, quote them, and then show how it gives a variety to each of the other case studies. This bit is the easy bit if you know what you're doing! AKA learn the case studies well!

IT IS VITAL TO CONSTANTLY LINK BACK TO THE QUESTION AND MAKE SURE THAT YOU ALWAYS QUOTE...

Conclusion (about a page)

You literally conclude everything that you have talked about. Remember there is no new ideas that goes into the conclusion, make sure it is all summing up.

I hope this gives a rough idea, if you have anymore questions then ask. Sorry for the long reply, I was in Amsterdam for a couple of days.

You need to remember that this worked for me. It doesn't work for everyone, and the case studies are better if you find them yourself because you will remember them more efficiently. However, if you are really stuck I can give you some to research further.

Hope this helps,
Indigo X

Original post by lillyac
You are truly a LIFESAVER! Cant thank you enough!! :smile: :smile: :smile:
Original post by Katherinecyan
Can you post what you wrote in your mock?
Since I have no idea of what we are actually supposed to write and the structure of the unit 4 paper.
Any model answers would be appreciated!

thanks,

Katherine :smile:

Sure! But for some reason it will not allow me to upload it :frown: so if you give me your email I can send it that way!

Indigo

Your energy notes are fantastic. Any chance you could send water plsss? Btw, are you doing landscapes for unit 4. Cause i may have something of use
Why is there such a small amount of people doing tech fix? Surely it's the easiest topic
Original post by geogwaphyerjag
Your energy notes are fantastic. Any chance you could send water plsss? Btw, are you doing landscapes for unit 4. Cause i may have something of use

Hiiii,i am doing landscapes for unit 4,coul you pleaaaasee upload what you have for us too??thankssss :smile:
Original post by geogwaphyerjag

I am doing Life on the Margins for Unit 4 :frown:

But here are the water notes!

Oh these are fab thanks :smile:

You doing energy security then?
who's doing cultural diveristy for unit 4?
Original post by AlohaCharlotte
Oh these are fab thanks :smile:

You doing energy security then?

Yeah Energy and Water, revising them in depth so I cant be caught out on a tricky question, instead of revising 3 topics :smile:
Original post by Indigo.Brownhall
Sure! But for some reason it will not allow me to upload it :frown: so if you give me your email I can send it that way!

Indigo

Would you be able to send me this too? I will message you my email address :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending