The Student Room Group

Intensive driving course - already had 60 hours of lessons before?

Hi there, I am looking for advice on taking an intensive, five day driving course.

I have already passed my theory test, and stopped having lessons 9 months ago (I had 60-70 hours and stopped due to personal reasons).

I am now in a hurry to pass as I am 19 now and I've been through three instructors and just want the independence now. I have tried normal lessons however felt the pace was just so slow.

I will also be commuting to uni in September so ideally want my licence ASAP so I feel comfortable doing long drives.

Some people say they are not worth it, but for someone who has already had a lot of experience (which would need touching up on of course) would it be such a bad idea?

Has anyone here passed on an intensive driving course? :smile:
Without sounding rude, 60-70 hours is alot anyway, you may not be learning effectively otherwise you would be test ready/would of so i would suggest the course to see if intense learning will keep you fresh on things. Three of my mates have done it, and all of them passed first time, granted all of them had 14 minors haha!
Original post by Juuuuh
Hi there, I am looking for advice on taking an intensive, five day driving course.

I have already passed my theory test, and stopped having lessons 9 months ago (I had 60-70 hours and stopped due to personal reasons).

I am now in a hurry to pass as I am 19 now and I've been through three instructors and just want the independence now. I have tried normal lessons however felt the pace was just so slow.

I will also be commuting to uni in September so ideally want my licence ASAP so I feel comfortable doing long drives.

Some people say they are not worth it, but for someone who has already had a lot of experience (which would need touching up on of course) would it be such a bad idea?

Has anyone here passed on an intensive driving course? :smile:

hey buddy, seems like a lot of hours you got there xD
since you've been through 3 instructor and normal lessons are too slow, maybe suggest to the instructors that you just want to go through each thing you need to do, on the checklist of stuff you need to do, every 2 hours maybe?
Reply 3
Those who take intensive courses with a lot of previous driving experience tend to be far more successful than those who take the intensive course as complete novices.

Be careful about putting too much pressure on yourself. When I hear comments like "I am now in a hurry to pass" and "just want the independence now" and "want my licence ASAP", alarm bells start ringing. This is because those who put a massive time pressure on a single date run a huge risk of dropping a clanger on the day. They massively over think things and are just too nervous to use rational judgement.

By all means, take the intensive course and look forward to your first test date, don't let that one date become the be all and end all. Prepare for the fact you may have to take a second attempt after a few weeks. Take the pressure off yourself.
Reply 4
Original post by Richpeasant
Without sounding rude, 60-70 hours is alot anyway, you may not be learning effectively otherwise you would be test ready/would of so i would suggest the course to see if intense learning will keep you fresh on things. Three of my mates have done it, and all of them passed first time, granted all of them had 14 minors haha!

It's not rude don't worry I'm completely aware haha!! I feel like my instructors were money grabbing idiots anyway, as well as the fact I am a slow learner which did not help :frown: Thanks for your input :smile:

Original post by thefatone
hey buddy, seems like a lot of hours you got there xD
since you've been through 3 instructor and normal lessons are too slow, maybe suggest to the instructors that you just want to go through each thing you need to do, on the checklist of stuff you need to do, every 2 hours maybe?

Haha I know, I know. Shameful :frown: That would be good if I knew a good instructor! Each instructor I've had would just drag everything out or would make me feel uncomfortable by getting pissed if I did something wrong (it's inevitable that I'll make mistakes)

Original post by Advisor
Those who take intensive courses with a lot of previous driving experience tend to be far more successful than those who take the intensive course as complete novices.

Be careful about putting too much pressure on yourself. When I hear comments like "I am now in a hurry to pass" and "just want the independence now" and "want my licence ASAP", alarm bells start ringing. This is because those who put a massive time pressure on a single date run a huge risk of dropping a clanger on the day. They massively over think things and are just too nervous to use rational judgement.

By all means, take the intensive course and look forward to your first test date, don't let that one date become the be all and end all. Prepare for the fact you may have to take a second attempt after a few weeks. Take the pressure off yourself.

Yeah you are right with putting pressure on myself. I think because I'm 19 and all my friends passed at 17 I do just want it over and done with! I have always considered automatic to try and speed it up even more and take the pressure off when I am driving, as part of my problem was poor coordination with the gears when approaching roundabouts etc and then being distracted.

Automatic intensive course = surely I'd pass within the second time :ahee:
Original post by Juuuuh

Haha I know, I know. Shameful :frown: That would be good if I knew a good instructor! Each instructor I've had would just drag everything out or would make me feel uncomfortable by getting pissed if I did something wrong (it's inevitable that I'll make mistakes)

hmmm dam they should get pissed, i can understand annoyed but getting pissed?? they teach so shouldn't they be used to ppl making mistakes?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending