The Student Room Group

Durham vs Bath

Got offers from Bath (AAB) and Durham (A*AA) to do Politics with Economics and Economics and Politics respectively . Both very similar courses (although Bath has got slightly more politics involved).

My question is which one would you go for?

I like both uni's, can see myself at either and the courses look great etc. + From what I've seen, in terms of people gaining internships in FO, they both achieve similar results so I'm really not sure which one to go for.

Does Durham have greater prestige (outside finance and the U.K.)?

PS - if it helps, I got the college I wanted at Durham (Castle)
Cheers
Original post by itstheharry
Got offers from Bath (AAB) and Durham (A*AA) to do Politics with Economics and Economics and Politics respectively . Both very similar courses (although Bath has got slightly more politics involved).

My question is which one would you go for?

I like both uni's, can see myself at either and the courses look great etc. + From what I've seen, in terms of people gaining internships in FO, they both achieve similar results so I'm really not sure which one to go for.

Does Durham have greater prestige (outside finance and the U.K.)?

PS - if it helps, I got the college I wanted at Durham (Castle)
Cheers

Forget prestige, they're roughly similar (both in terms of IB placement, and generally).

Think about: whether you want an industrial year, collegiate life v campus life, surroundings, proximity to london etc.

Posted from TSR Mobile
durham, so you don't have to do an industrial placement.. think bath might be compulsury
Reply 3
i'd go for bath
Original post by Goaded
i'd go for bath

reasons pls
Reply 5
Durham is the sensible option. Career prospects, prestige etc

Bath is a cultural city where you will undoubtedly have more fun.

:wink:
Watching this - got the same decision to make for Maths and can't decide.
Reply 7
Original post by gr8wizard10
reasons pls

Because I don't like Durham it has a stupid name
Reply 8
Original post by gr8wizard10
durham, so you don't have to do an industrial placement.. think bath might be compulsury

No its optional (only if you do a language does it make it compulsory) but I guess lots will do it so I see your point

Original post by stefano865
Durham is the sensible option. Career prospects, prestige etc

Bath is a cultural city where you will undoubtedly have more fun.

:wink:

Both have far more 'vibrant' cities 10mins away (Bristol, Newcastle) so that's not a big issue for me as from experience they both don't have the greatest nightlife. Interesting how you suggest its higher up than Bath when others think its the same..?

Original post by Princepieman
Forget prestige, they're roughly similar (both in terms of IB placement, and generally).

Think about: whether you want an industrial year, collegiate life v campus life, surroundings, proximity to london etc.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Cheers man, didn't think of looking at those things - although both are far from london :frown:
Reply 9
Just to throw in a curveball.. got an unconditional offer at Bocconi for one of their undergrad courses (dad knew a friend who loved it over there and suggested I apply on a whim, so I did lol).

Would any of you take this or nah? - I'd almost certainly learn Italian over the 3 years and there's a huge international feel about the place which is always nice. It's 11 grand a year so not that much different I suppose.
But I always thought (and from speaking to a few people in PE) it's a definite, 1 of their 6 targets, for post-grad so maybe not for undergrad..?

Didn't really consider it so far as kinda forgot about it and been focused on work etc - guess it's not a priority as you can do a year abroad, but deadline is in a few days so interested to hear your opinions
(edited 8 years ago)
Just to throw in a curveball.. got an unconditional offer at Bocconi for one of their undergrad courses (dad knew a friend who loved it over there and suggested I apply on a whim, so I did lol).

Would any of you take this or nah? - I'd almost certainly learn Italian over the 3 years and there's a huge international feel about the place which is always nice. It's 11 grand a year so not that much different I suppose.
But I always thought (and from speaking to a few people in PE) it's a definite, 1 of their 6 targets, for post-grad so maybe not for undergrad..?

Didn't really consider it so far as kinda forgot about it and been focused on work etc - guess it's not a priority as you can do a year abroad, but deadline is in a few days so interested to hear your opinions

boconni is very good

Yeah, the sentiment is that postgrad at Bocconi is when firms really start targeting students. And, they're more well known for their postgrad programmes than their undergrad ones.

From a few Italian folk I know of, I get the sense that they see Bocconi's undergrad system as more of a cash cow than a rigourous programme of study. I've heard accounts of teaching being sub par, a lot of weeding out classes, huge intakes etc.

It'd be a great study abroad option (i.e. for a year) but staying for the long-haul of 5 years to get a Masters seems counterintuitive.
Reply 12
Original post by Princepieman
Yeah, the sentiment is that postgrad at Bocconi is when firms really start targeting students. And, they're more well known for their postgrad programmes than their undergrad ones.

From a few Italian folk I know of, I get the sense that they see Bocconi's undergrad system as more of a cash cow than a rigourous programme of study. I've heard accounts of teaching being sub par, a lot of weeding out classes, huge intakes etc.

It'd be a great study abroad option (i.e. for a year) but staying for the long-haul of 5 years to get a Masters seems counterintuitive.

I've done extensive researches on linkedin and while bocconi undegrad students throughout the years have always got internship experiences with investment banks, for example, obtaining places at spring weeks and summer internships, now some even receive actual offers out of undergrad.
Bocconi postgrad programmes have better placement and fame simply because in Italy you are expected to attend university for 5 years and only then look for a job. There has been a reform years ago and now things are starting to change (with international focused private universities such as Bocconi leading the change).

The number of students for 2016-17 undergrad courses has already been established:
-BIEM: 400
-BIEF: 200
-BEMACS: 80
-BIG: 80

Every course has its culture, some are known to be more selective and challenging, some have a bad reputation (like the bachelor in management for arts culture and communication).

If you want to get a job after undergrad you have higher probabilities in the UK. If you are open to eventually attending an Msc, then Bocconi is good because its undergrad courses are the best way to get into its well-placing and high ranked Masters and also give you a high chance to get a Masters elsewhere.

Anyway if you go through a recruiting process with a Masters, you are advantaged over those who only did 3 years of undergrad, whatever university they come from.

Much depends on which undergrad course you were admitted to, finance, management, government, or what else.
(edited 8 years ago)
I was admitted into the BIEF program. Personally, it seems a big gamble to take to be essentially stuck abroad for 5years when I could just apply for a masters and do the travelling etc. after finishing in the UK.

Thanks for the info though, useful to know.
Reply 14
I was admitted into the BIEF program. Personally, it seems a big gamble to take to be essentially stuck abroad for 5years when I could just apply for a masters and do the travelling etc. after finishing in the UK.

Thanks for the info though, useful to know.

I've been admitted to BIEF too. In my opinion it's the best international undergrad at bocconi.
It's not 5 years because you could go back to the UK for your masters. But yes I get your point.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 15
In exact same situation but with Business & man! haha

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending