The Student Room Group

How is A-Level Economics?

What do you learn when doing Economics?
What kind of thinks do you learn?
Would you recommend it for me?
It's all about exam technique, if you're not good at english and writing then Econ isn't for you. If you're good at dealing with exam pressure, getting quick ideas and writing coherently then you'd do fine. I do Econ at GCSE (gonna take it next year) but a level is quite similar.
You learn macro and micro economics. Look at the spec for more details.
Original post by JohnGreek
easy

oh ok.
what kind of things do you learn? Is it worthwhile me getting a A-Level Economics text book this summer and self teaching it or should I just wait?
Original post by JohnGreek
I was being a bit facetious, but AS level Econ is a walk in the park if you revise the theory; A2 may get a bit more difficult right at the end (if you have issues understanding or interpreting graphs).

This is the syllabus for the AQA course I'm doing. The one thing that you'll notice is that there isn't much quantitative stuff in there - at most, A2 will call upon you to do simple fractions and multiplication when doing absolute/comparative advantage - there isn't much more maths than that.

I personally found teaching parts of the syllabus to myself quite easy, but it depends on the student.

oh ok thanks.
Btw is this any good
I want to do Economics at UNI
and the courses i have chosen are
Mathematics
Economics
Business Studies
Graphics (Shows my creative side)
(I can change these any time)
Which do you think is more beneficial for me to chose and which would you recommend?

Thanks
-Shahbaz
Reply 4
Self teach it this summer, get the Phillip allan workbook and textbook, you'll enjoy it. It's fairly easy but as you've probably heard the exam technique is hard not in the sense you require English and stuff but you have to know what they want so you can get the marks, KAA & evaluation, structure in terms of English will only get you a few marks but getting those marks for knowledge, application, analysis and evaluation is the crucial part and knowing how many marks for each of those per question is the hard part especially with the new changes to a level we only have one sample paper and mark scheme so there isn't much out there on the exam format for the new spec.

And the best part is almost everything links to together in section B, pretty much everything you learn will be a relevant point so long as you can put it into context

P.S don't do Business with economics. Business is a boring a level and is useless with economics imo and many uni's opinions.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by zayn008

P.S don't do Business with economics. Business is a boring a level and is useless with economics imo and many uni's opinions.

If you have time could you look a my college courses and which you recommend swapping business with.
I have had replays saying do;

Government and Politics
Further Mathematics (THAT IS HARD AF)
Physics (Much easier as my brother does it and finds it very easy)
But could you have a look and tell me which you would change BS for.

Link;
http://www.xaverian.ac.uk/courses/advanced-courses/
Reply 6
Original post by ShahbazKHAN
If you have time could you look a my college courses and which you recommend swapping business with.
I have had replays saying do;

Government and Politics
Further Mathematics (THAT IS HARD AF)
Physics (Much easier as my brother does it and finds it very easy)
But could you have a look and tell me which you would change BS for.

Link;
http://www.xaverian.ac.uk/courses/advanced-courses/

Further maths really isn't that hard if you enjoy maths but it's time consuming, LSE say they like an AS in further maths for economics.

if you're good at essays and want to learn about the structure of government and how our systems work, do government and politics

Physics seems really hard and I think it'd be irrelevant to economics, worse comes to worse just focus on the 4 and maybe do an EPQ.

I do Maths, Politics, History and Economics (self teaching) so I'd say Politics

I would say history but the modules you're school do are boring so I don't think you'd enjoy it
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by zayn008
Further maths really isn't that hard if you enjoy maths but it's time consuming, LSE say they like an AS in further maths for economics.

if you're good at essays and want to learn about the structure of government and how our systems work, do government and politics

Physics seems really hard and I think it'd be irrelevant to economics, worse comes to worse just focus on the 4 and maybe do an EPQ.

I do Maths, Politics, History and Economics (self teaching) so I'd say Politics

I would say history but the modules you're school do are boring so I don't think you'd enjoy it

Yeah im debating to do Gov&Pol or FM Thanks for the help :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest