The Student Room Group

AS Chemistry revision help

It was "suggested" I drop AS chemistry at college today (which means I'm failing :mad:) but I can't afford to drop it or get less than an A because I want to do medicine and my exams are next month!

Can anyone suggest any tips for me to boost my grade before the exams? (I already go to tuiton, and have started making flashcards but since I'm doing the new spec, I can't do any past papers)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by nomophobia
It was "suggested" I drop AS chemistry at college today (which means I'm failing :mad:) but I can't afford to drop it or get less than an A because I want to do medicine and my exams are next month!

Can anyone suggest any tips for me to boost my grade before the exams? (I already go to tuiton, and have started making flashcards but since I'm doing the new spec, I can't do any past papers)

Posted from TSR Mobile

do the f331 f332 f333 papers and cross out any questions that are not in the specification if you are doing ocr
Reply 2
No one is stopping you from doing the past papers from the old spec right? The whole point of doing past papers is to help you apply your knowledge and so I suggest making the most out of the old spec past papers as I find them very useful. I find that in chemistry especially, past paper practice is very important.

I'm doing IB Chemistry HL and we are also doing the new course and obvs there aren't any past papers either but I know what has changed from the old course so I also take that into consideration. I'm not sure how much has changed in the A Level syllabus but I'm sure you can still work with some of it. Have you tried looking for specimen papers?

Good Luck!
Reply 3
Original post by IBonfire
No one is stopping you from doing the past papers from the old spec right? The whole point of doing past papers is to help you apply your knowledge and so I suggest making the most out of the old spec past papers as I find them very useful. I find that in chemistry especially, past paper practice is very important.

I'm doing IB Chemistry HL and we are also doing the new course and obvs there aren't any past papers either but I know what has changed from the old course so I also take that into consideration. I'm not sure how much has changed in the A Level syllabus but I'm sure you can still work with some of it. Have you tried looking for specimen papers?

Good Luck!

That is actually a good point you're making, so just do the old past papers anyway and if something doesn't look right, just leave it, right?

Yeah, I've found 2 but obviously 2 isn't enough to go from a fail to an A.

Thank you so much for directing me about the past papers, really appreciate it! :yes: Good luck in your exams too!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by debs20153
do the f331 f332 f333 papers and cross out any questions that are not in the specification if you are doing ocr

Thanks for directing me to the papers! Really appreciate it! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Original post by nomophobia
That is actually a good point you're making, so just do the old past papers anyway and if something doesn't look right, just leave it, right?

Yeah, I've found 2 but obviously 2 isn't enough to go from a fail to an A.

Thank you so much for directing me about the past papers, really appreciate it! :yes: Good luck in your exams too!

Posted from TSR Mobile

You're welcome and I had a look at the past papers for Core 1 and Core 2 (haha somehow I have a stack of them in my room) and I'm guessing that there's loads of organic chemistry bits so a tip would be to learn the mechanisms really well and the synthetic pathways as well!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending