The Student Room Group
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London

Computer Science 2016 Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Original post by marioman
You are in the wrong thread; this one is for Imperial offer holders.

ooops, I had no idea! Let me delete my post :colondollar:
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London
Original post by N92991
very low profile,
But I found a youtube channel run by current students and they provide an insight of what to expect there
channel link https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC69tWTS3qCb4tmPLrayVeBQ

Oh gosh, the Team Skills channel... Yeah I wouldn't base too much on that, that is a days project we do in Second year. Lots of fun if you pick the right group, and a great chance to meet new faces as well. Haha seems so long ago :colondollar:

Original post by RandomNickname
Do you guys think they will be strict on STEP condition?

Yes. Good luck on your prep! The effort will be worth it! You'll have to go through the same stress basically every year here, so revision skills are important to get right before you start!

Original post by Jozoey
Just firmed Imperial. Which accommodation halls are you guys thinking of?

Beit, southside, eastside, etc evelyn gardens? Something close :smile:
STEP prep going tough tho

I'll be a hall senior at Selkirk at Southside, and with the hall team we have this year I'd say go for that, because it's gonna be an awesome time :biggrin: I've always prioritised closeness above all when looking for accommodation, but it's up to you. Each hall finds it's own dynamic as the year goes along, so I wouldn't fret too much, even if you get the very distant North Acton halls.

But just sayin', Selkirk does communal Saturday morning breakfast, and weekly barbecues during Summer Term (most Princes Gardens halls do that).
Who else is suffering with STEP prep? :biggrin:
Reply 443
I got a conditional offer with "Merit in AEA Mathematics". I am from Germany and could not find any information online on how to register for this exam.
Reply 444
Did anybody who sat their full A-Level Maths last year (and is doing all of Further Maths this year) get an A*, and an offer from Imperial with STEP? If so, what STEP and what grade? I'm in year 12, and this could be me next year, and I don't fancy taking STEP, so I just want to weigh my odds now.
Reply 445
Original post by gerCS
I got a conditional offer with "Merit in AEA Mathematics". I am from Germany and could not find any information online on how to register for this exam.

Go onto the "Pearson Edexcel Website" or just type in Edexcel AEA, and you can get past papers, etc. On the main menu of the Mathematics section should be a contact email and/or phone number.
Original post by 83457
Did anybody who sat their full A-Level Maths last year (and is doing all of Further Maths this year) get an A*, and an offer from Imperial with STEP? If so, what STEP and what grade? I'm in year 12, and this could be me next year, and I don't fancy taking STEP, so I just want to weigh my odds now.

Yep got an A* last year. Now with grade 2 in STEP 1 offer ^^
Just firmed Imperial! I applied for 2017 though, but they said I could just email them and apply for housing for next year if I changed my mind by May. Though I do still have to meet my offer... :'(

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by 83457

Not STEP, but I got an A* last year and have an offer for Merit in AEA this year. I'm not firming though.
Original post by marioman
Not STEP, but I got an A* last year and have an offer for Merit in AEA this year. I'm not firming though.

Cos of AEA?
Cos of AEA?

No, because I'm not really keen on Imperial as a university (no arts students, etc.)
Reply 451
Original post by Jozoey
Just firmed Imperial. Which accommodation halls are you guys thinking of?

Want to live somewhere nice, so probably Eastside, Southside, Woodward, Wilson, Xenia. What about you?
Reply 452
Have you people started applying for student finance yet? Also we don't need to worry about accommodation till later right? (If I recall correctly)
Reply 453
Original post by exo97
Have you people started applying for student finance yet? Also we don't need to worry about accommodation till later right? (If I recall correctly)

Yeah, after people have firmed in May, they send out emails with a link to submit your choices. More info here: http://www.imperial.ac.uk/study/campus-life/accommodation/prospective/ug/how-to-apply/
Reply 454
UCL or Imperial for MEng in Computer Science?

I have similar offers from these two London universities but I have to get a Merit in AEA Mathematics for Imperial.
Reply 455
Original post by gerCS

I have similar offers from these two London universities but I have to get a Merit in AEA Mathematics for Imperial.

As far as the quality of the degree goes, Imperial's CS department is far more prestigious and highly regarded than UCL's. They're both good universities though, pick the one that suits you more.
Original post by gerCS

Imperial is better on League tables and reputation-wise, but there probably isn't much difference in reality as they're both very good universities. I assume they both invited you to an interview so you had a chance to look around and get a feel for it, no reason not to choose you one you felt more comfortable in.

If you prefer Imperial but are worried about the AEA then try out a past paper and see how you do, I hear they're much easier than STEP anyway.
Past offers for Computer Science at Imperial and Cambridge:

What level STEP has been a condition for Computer Science offers from Imperial or Cambridge?

Has anyone heard of anyone being asked to do STEP 2?
Reply 458
Original post by meganfurley
Past offers for Computer Science at Imperial and Cambridge:

What level STEP has been a condition for Computer Science offers from Imperial or Cambridge?

Has anyone heard of anyone being asked to do STEP 2?

For your last question, yes, step 2 and 3 are normally on offers, especially if youre doing the joint math and comp
Original post by N92991
For your last question, yes, step 2 and 3 are normally on offers, especially if youre doing the joint math and comp

Thanks. But I am referring to pure Computer Science!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending