The Student Room Group

A* UMS Maths A Level

I know this has probably been asked a thousand times, so I apologise in advance. However, I always seem to find information that contradicts what I've previously thought or have been told, so can you once and for all clean this mess up.

To get an A* in A Level Maths you need to achieve an A overall but with one of these two:
1) Over 90 UMS on both C3 & C4
2) An average of 90 UMS in their combined total, for example 95 UMS in C3 and 85 UMS in C4, or some other variant provided they both total 180 UMS

Original post by KaylaB
I know this has probably been asked a thousand times, so I apologise in advance. However, I always seem to find information that contradicts what I've previously thought or have been told, so can you once and for all clean this mess up.

To get an A* in A Level Maths you need to achieve an A overall but with one of these two:
1) Over 90 UMS on both C3 & C4
2) An average of 90 UMS in their combined total, for example 95 UMS in C3 and 85 UMS in C4, or some other variant provided they both total 180 UMS

Option 2.

180 or above from C3 and C4 combined (out of 200) and 480 UMS or above overall from the 6 modules.

You do not need to get over 90 in both C3 and C4.
Reply 2
Reply 3
Original post by SeanFM
Option 2.

180 or above from C3 and C4 combined (out of 200) and 480 UMS or above overall from the 6 modules.

You do not need to get over 90 in both C3 and C4.

Ah okay so I would still get an A* if I got 98 UMS in C3 and 85 UMS in C4 as they average out to over 180 UMS?
Original post by KaylaB
Ah okay so I would still get an A* if I got 98 UMS in C3 and 85 UMS in C4 as they average out to over 180 UMS?

Provided you got 480 UMS or more overall, yes :h:

I got 100 in C3 and 84 in C4 for an A* overall. :borat:
Reply 5
Original post by KaylaB

Yes, definitely.
Reply 6
Original post by Zacken
Yes, definitely.

Original post by SeanFM
Provided you got 480 UMS or more overall, yes :h:

I got 100 in C3 and 84 in C4 for an A* overall. :borat:

Ah thanks for clearing that up at lightning fast speed :tongue:

I've always been told the contrary at 6th form by my teachers, but alas I finally have the truth! :hat2:
Reply 7
Original post by KaylaB
Ah thanks for clearing that up at lightning fast speed :tongue:

The maths forum has a bit of a ridiculous reply speed. :lol:
Reply 8
Original post by Zacken
The maths forum has a bit of a ridiculous reply speed. :lol:

I've noticed that happens whenever I try to help or answer, you ninja right in :ninja: :lol::lol:
Reply 9
Original post by KaylaB
I've noticed that happens whenever I try to help or answer, you ninja right in :ninja: :lol::lol:

It's happened the other way around a few times as well. :ninja2:
Haha yeah true

Quick Reply

Latest