The Student Room Group
Inside University of Bristol
University of Bristol
Bristol

Part-Time/Ta job for foreign student in UK

Hi everybody,

I am probably* going to the Uni of Bristol this September, for an Msc in advanced computing. I plan to get a part time job there, but i don't know how to approach this. I was thinking about applying for a Teaching Support Assistant position or something like that. I have no difficulty in introducing undergraduates with programming languages like C/Java, so it would be a great deal. However, i have lived and studied my bsc in another non english-speaking european country and therefore my accent is going to take a while (a couple of months) to adjust to english standards.

So my question is, does anyone know how i should approach this? And if i don't get a position there, what should be my next move? ( workcircle.co.uk/jobs/student , thestudentjob.com , jobsite.co.uk , Local Recruitment agencies etc etc?
And when am i supposed to start searching? before/upon my arrival in bristol, or after spending some time there etc? I will be in bristol from 20/09/2016 )

Sorry for the long post, and thank you in advance!! :smile:

*i've been accepted to that msc programme but im still figuring out the details.
Original post by john00050
Hi everybody,

I am probably* going to the Uni of Bristol this September, for an Msc in advanced computing. I plan to get a part time job there, but i don't know how to approach this. I was thinking about applying for a Teaching Support Assistant position or something like that. I have no difficulty in introducing undergraduates with programming languages like C/Java, so it would be a great deal. However, i have lived and studied my bsc in another non english-speaking european country and therefore my accent is going to take a while (a couple of months) to adjust to english standards.

So my question is, does anyone know how i should approach this? And if i don't get a position there, what should be my next move? ( workcircle.co.uk/jobs/student , thestudentjob.com , jobsite.co.uk , Local Recruitment agencies etc etc?
And when am i supposed to start searching? before/upon my arrival in bristol, or after spending some time there etc? I will be in bristol from 20/09/2016 )

Sorry for the long post, and thank you in advance!! :smile:

*i've been accepted to that msc programme but im still figuring out the details.

I've moved this to the University of Bristol forum as recruitment methods are often very regional. Teaching Assistant roles aren't common for UK universities for postgraduate taught students (they're usually more common for PhD students where they exist) but that doesn't mean you can't find something.
Inside University of Bristol
University of Bristol
Bristol
Reply 2
Original post by PQ
I've moved this to the University of Bristol forum as recruitment methods are often very regional. Teaching Assistant roles aren't common for UK universities for postgraduate taught students (they're usually more common for PhD students where they exist) but that doesn't mean you can't find something.

Thank you for your quick reply :smile:

Can you please tell me when it is a good time to start searching for part time options? ( prior to arriving there (before september), or after a couple of months of living in the area etc etc? -i suppose the latter, but still, it would be like december, so there is a chance there might be very few part-time occupations available by that time.)

If there is any other info you wish to share, please feel free!!! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending