The Student Room Group

Absurdism, Nihilism

(edited 6 years ago)
I have actually being trying to find music that would make me feel more nihilistic.
Original post by Black Cobra
I have actually being trying to find music that would make me feel more nihilistic.

Terribly easy.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=miLV0o4AhE4

Performed in a concentration camp and with lyrics taken from a message a young girl scratched on the wall for her mother before dying, nothing gets more nihilistic than this.
Reply 3
I recently developed a small interest in absurdism and want to fully read https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/11987.The_Myth_of_Sisyphus_and_Other_Essays.

I found a pdf online but it was only a handful of the essays plus the myth of sisyphus.

I think it's a shame that there apparently doesn't seem to be a lot of philosophers concerned with absurdism bar Kierkegaard and Camus.

I also keep meaning to try and read The Sickness Unto Death as Kierkegaard's principles of humans possessing both an infinite and finite realm seems to interest me and appeal to me a lot lately.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Inexorably
I recently developed a small interest in absurdism and want to fully read https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/11987.The_Myth_of_Sisyphus_and_Other_Essays.

I found a pdf online but it was only a handful of the essays plus the myth of sisyphus.

I think it's a shame that there apparently doesn't seem to be a lot of philosophers concerned with absurdism bar Kierkegaard and Camus.

I also keep meaning to try and read The Sickness Unto Death as Kierkegaard's principles of humans possessing both an infinite and finite realm seems to interest me and appeal to me a lot lately.

Just dropping in here to say I'm a massive Camus fanboy.
Reply 5
subbed

might fill in later
I suppose I don't identify as a nihilist since I have... goals in life and stuff. Setting goals is actually one of my favourite things to do :colonhash: That said I like thinking about the concept, it'll be interesting to follow a good discussion here if one gets rolling. In :h:
Original post by enigmaticaptcha
There's no contradiction with having goals and being a nihilist :P Nihilism is just acknowledging that there is no objective meaning to life. This is a simple derivative of fallibilism, which argues that all beliefs are either meaningless or ultimately based on assumptions. I'd recommend reading into that - the wikipedia page is pretty good at explaining it - and then letting us know what your thoughts are afterwards.

Oh okay, gotcha :smile: As it stands based on the rough definition I am most certainly not a nihilist, plenty of reprehensible actions throughout the course of human history that I not only disagree with but disgust me. When I have time I may read up on it more though for curiosities sake.

Maybe you can make you post a sticky with general guidelines like this. :h:

Metaphysical Nihilism and Atheism
1. Atheists do not believe in the existence of any gods
2. Extreme (metaphysical) nihilists do not believe anything exists, including gods and themselves
3. Therefore, extreme (metaphysical) nihilists are atheists
4. Atheists are not necessarily metaphysical nihilists as they may believe other things than gods do exist.
5. Theists cannot be (metaphysical) nihilists, unless they stop believing in god, which would make them atheists

Moral Nihilism and Atheism
1. Atheists do not believe in the existence of any gods
2. Moral nihilists do not believe there is objective morality, i.e. there are no intrinsically good or bad actions.
3. Moral nihilists may or may not believe in gods, but they cannot believe any god is the source of objective morality as they do not believe in objective morality
4. Atheists may or may not believe there is objective morality, but they do not believe any morality is god-given as they do not believe in any gods
Original post by enigmaticaptcha
I'll consider making a sticky. Thanks for the advice :smile:

I still think you misunderstand nihilism. You're still a human being with generally innate emotions and responses to things, such as being disgusted at genocide, for example. Personally, I may dislike someone physically abusing me, but I don't think it is morally wrong because I don't adhere to the concept of morality. I believe morality, regarding the concept of right and wrong, is a sophist legacy of religion that describes what people generally like and dislike.

Oh I see, in that case I'll still have to disagree haha. But I understand it will enough now I think, at least in a rudimentary way. Thanks!
philosophy fanatic passing throughhhh, Nihilism is a fascinating concept, will be following this thread :smile:

Fyodor Dostoyevsky anyone?
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 10
Hi there, ameteur philosopher here.

Stumbled across nihilism a few months ago and find some of the ideas fascinating.

So I totally agree life has no meaning or purpose. When I tell people this, they often find it extremely negative and perhaps unsettling. I feel most people who feel like life has purpose have essentially invented this for themselves, and there is a strong psychological reason to do so. They would feel life was not worth living if they also agreed life has no purpose (which I do not agree with!). I also feel the "purposes" and "meanings" people invent for themselves are often in fact goals, having goals and aiming for them does not mean your life has purpose, you merely possess goals.

I don't see anything wrong with my thought, it seems rational albeit understandably unsettling to some. How about you guys?
Reply 11
Original post by DyEs

Stumbled across nihilism a few months ago and find some of the ideas fascinating.

So I totally agree life has no meaning or purpose. When I tell people this, they often find it extremely negative and perhaps unsettling. I feel most people who feel like life has purpose have essentially invented this for themselves, and there is a strong psychological reason to do so. They would feel life was not worth living if they also agreed life has no purpose (which I do not agree with!). I also feel the "purposes" and "meanings" people invent for themselves are often in fact goals, having goals and aiming for them does not mean your life has purpose, you merely possess goals.

I don't see anything wrong with my thought, it seems rational albeit understandably unsettling to some. How about you guys?

Inventing purpose for ourselves is quite a nihilistic point of view, indeed it is the meaning behind Sisyphus and his rock, but I'd argue that in no way diminishes them.

I take issue with your criticism of goals as lacking purpose. If you think there is a difference between purpose and goals that people miss as you suggest, could you elaborate? If there is such a distinction, does this not make purpose existent in some form?

If not, if purpose and goal are interchangeable, then you must concede that if people have goals, they also have purpose.
Original post by DyEs

Pretty much how I feel also. I think it's a fairly easy thing to observe via the existence of 'existential crises' in which people, like the ones you've mentioned, seem to eventually realise their really is no inherent meaning and that everything so far has just been what they've told themselves.

Though with your penultimate statement, you could argue "religion" isn't a goal and gives meaning/purpose to people.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending