The Student Room Group

Edexcel A2 C4 Mathematics June 2016 - Official Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by XxKingSniprxX
I finished my 8th past paper and scored 70/75 --> 93.3% = A*. :cry2: ---> :shot:
I've generally been scoring 72-73/75 on average ish. :frown:

I'm really disappointed in myself as I lost 2 marks due to forgetting a " - " sign on separating the variables
and had my head :s-smilie: and eventually gave up. I lost another mark a stupid mistake on parametric equations,
which I should have really got.

The last 2 marks I genuinely lost due to mistaking the limits on a integration part and writing something else
instead.

I feel I should have got 73/75 - 98% ums = A* but I'm happy as its the first time in a couple past papers that I've learned from my mistakes. #progress #gains

Dw man I'm still scraping 70s. There's plenty of time and you have enough leeway to focus on your other subjects too
For Solomon paper D C4 question 3a

http://www.physicsandmathstutor.com/a-level-maths-papers/c4-solomon/

I don't get why they've split it like that and I don't get it even when I look at the mark scheme. Can anyone help?
Thank you :smile:
Posted from TSR Mobile
C4 June 2015, last year's paper I think its a secure download on Edexcels website.

I'm now gonna drop down the number of C4 pp I do to x2/week leading up to exams which would still be 8x/month -> 2.5*8 = 20 more past papers + 8 completed atm = 28 past papers.

Slowy and steady better win me the A* race :lol:

easy paper, last question was gibberish tho
Original post by Serine Soul
Dw man I'm still scraping 70s. There's plenty of time and you have enough leeway to focus on your other subjects too

I don't just want a A* I want 400/400 on core Maths.
Original post by flowerspace
For Solomon paper D C4 question 3a

http://www.physicsandmathstutor.com/a-level-maths-papers/c4-solomon/

I don't get why they've split it like that and I don't get it even when I look at the mark scheme. Can anyone help?
Thank you :smile:
Posted from TSR Mobile

What d'you mean? They want you to find the values of A,B,C,DA, B, C, D.

You do this by multiplying both sides by x23xx^2 - 3x and comparing coefficients. You're not meant to be able to set up the equation yourself, hence why they've given it to you already in the requisite form.

If you were to do the partial fractions without knowing that form, you'd need to perform long division, then partial fraction it.
I don't just want a A* I want 400/400 on core Maths.

Fair enough
Original post by ULTRALIGHT BEAM
easy paper, last question was gibberish tho

Yeah, it was straight forward I messed up 3 marks due to stupid stuff.

The only thing that was a bit puzzling was Q8(b) but I eventually got the method right only to realise I scored 4/6 on that bit -2 marks because I put the wrong limits on the v=1/3.pi.r^2.h

We have to remember that some people just started their revision back in early/mid march so we are still way ahead in the lead in terms of revision. I'm referring to people who started revision in Dec-February, which means we have less stress now. :biggrin:

We're all gonna make it! :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
Fair enough

If your dreams don't scare you, you aren't dreaming big :lol:

+ Everyone has the potential and we have plenty of time before the exam so why not aim high?
Original post by Zacken
What d'you mean? They want you to find the values of A,B,C,DA, B, C, D.

You do this by multiplying both sides by x23xx^2 - 3x and comparing coefficients. You're not meant to be able to set up the equation yourself, hence why they've given it to you already in the requisite form.

If you were to do the partial fractions without knowing that form, you'd need to perform long division, then partial fraction it.

Ok thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile

+ Everyone has the potential and we have plenty of time before the exam so why not aim high?

Oh I'm dreaming big alright :wink:

I understand. I just think, that if I can comfortably make the grade, there's no point in unnecessarily stressing to get full marks.

Going for comfortably getting the grade does often result in high UMS either way anyway haha
Oh I'm dreaming big alright :wink:

I understand. I just think, that if I can comfortably make the grade, there's no point in unnecessarily stressing to get full marks.

Going for comfortably getting the grade does often result in high UMS either way anyway haha

True, its just looking at 2 sides of the same coin. :smile:

I agree with this. Especially as a maths applicant: wasting time perfecting the exam technique and patience to get full UMS is well... wasting time. Especially when you can just do 3/4 papers and spend the rest of the time on super-curricular things and doing things related to your subject that are actually interesting.
Can someone explain how you would go about integrating 2sin2ycosy dx\int 2sin^2ycosy\ dx please?
Original post by blackdiamond97
Can someone explain how you would go about integrating 2sin2ycosy dx\int 2sin^2ycosy\ dx please?

Are you sure that it's with respect to x?
Hey guys, are the earlier papers (~06/07) easier than the more recent ones? Don't want to get my hopes up by the fact that I'm doing well in the older ones :s

Honestly getting 73/75 now is not something to be dissapointed in - in my experience there is very little difference in actual mathematical ability between someone getting 70/75 and 75/75 - the difference in marks come from being able to perfectly execute an exam, doing nothing stupid, knowing how to check answers etc and honestly it's partly luck as well
Original post by Don Pedro K.
Hey guys, are the earlier papers (~06/07) easier than the more recent ones? Don't want to get my hopes up by the fact that I'm doing well in the older ones :s

Kind of, yeah
Original post by Zacken
I agree with this. Especially as a maths applicant: wasting time perfecting the exam technique and patience to get full UMS is well... wasting time. Especially when you can just do 3/4 papers and spend the rest of the time on super-curricular things and doing things related to your subject that are actually interesting.

Unlike last year when I'd beat myself up if I didn't get over 97% :rofl:

:frown:

Assuming you mean 2sin2ycosydy\int 2\sin^2 y \cos y \, \mathrm{d}y then consider the substitution u=sinyu = \sin y.
(edited 8 years ago)

You can do it by inspection if you mean dy: (2/3)sin^3(y) + c

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending