The Student Room Group

should abortion be illegal after 6 months of pregnancy?

babies can respond to their mothers voices after 6 months

therefore they are certainly conscious

how is it not illegal to kill a conscious person?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Straighthate

It is illegal to have an abortion after 24 weeks (roughly 6 months)... It's only acceptable if continuing with the pregnancy would be dangerous. I personally have no problem with this law, as I think the mother's life is more important than an unborn child's life, especially if it's quality of life would be severely affected by complications after this stage in the pregnancy.

You'd basically be saying that in worst case scenarios, the doctors would have to stand by and potentially watch a mother and the foetus die, if you made abortion after 24 weeks absolutely illegal.

venus fly-traps can "respond" to flies entering their "jaws" - are venus fly traps "alive" too simply for being, to some extent, biological reflective/responsive?
Original post by AlmightyJesus
venus fly-traps can "respond" to flies entering their "jaws" - are venus fly traps "alive" too simply for being, to some extent, biological reflective/responsive?

Yes...
It's illegal to have an abortion after 24 weeks. Are you speaking hypothetically? Also, responding to stimuli does not equal consciousness.
First response summed up what I was thinkin.

Plants are generally classed as alive, fam.

I think you wanted another word in there.
If its more than 3 weeks, its a NO NO.
Original post by donutellme
Yes...

and is life sacred?
Original post by Retired_Messiah
First response summed up what I was thinkin.

Plants are generally classed as alive, fam.

I think you wanted another word in there.

what word
Original post by Blackstarr

Why?? If later on after 3 weeks, something is found which is life threatening, you're saying we should keep the baby alive? If circumstances change with the personal life of the mother-to-be, and the baby wouldn't be looked after well, we should keep the baby alive?
what word

Concious or sentient instead of alive.

Frickin algae is classed as alive scientifically and they do **** all

Original post by Blackstarr

Even if the baby's a product of rape and the mother's a sickly psycopath?

Come on now you can't be so black and white on this
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Retired_Messiah
Concious or sentient instead of alive.

Frickin algae is classed as alive scientifically and they do **** all

They **** up ponds

Posted from TSR Mobile
and is life sacred?

It depends.
They **** up ponds

absolute madmen
I'd be inclined to say that once the foetus has a sentient, conscious existence, it has a right to life - which is probably many weeks/months after conception, I wouldn't know when exactly. That being said, I'm sure some branches of utilitarianism would argue that whilst taking the life of a sentient being is never pleasant, it may in cases like these be morally justified if that foetus was going to go on and lead a miserable life (i.e. be severely handicapped and in some form of constant pain). I couldn't convincingly argue against that perspective at the moment... I need to read more philosophy.
(edited 8 years ago)

It's illegal to kill a concious person but after 24 weeks/6months it is illegal to kill a foetus without due reason. If there is a chance of the mother dying, the mother's health being compromised or the baby suffering then an abortion can be arranged. I personally don't believe that they are conscious because they aren't sentient nor are they aware of what is happening. They are mostly responding to stimuli.
The level of consciousness is irrelevant.
The mother is the most important person.
Original post by EllainKahlo
It's illegal to have an abortion after 24 weeks. Are you speaking hypothetically? Also, responding to stimuli does not equal consciousness.

Yes it does. No later than 16 weeks would be the max for me.
Original post by richpanda
Yes it does. No later than 16 weeks would be the max for me.

It really doesn't, otherwise we'd think sunflowers have consciousness.
Original post by NekoAngel13
It's illegal to kill a concious person but after 24 weeks/6months it is illegal to kill a foetus without due reason. If there is a chance of the mother dying, the mother's health being compromised or the baby suffering then an abortion can be arranged. I personally don't believe that they are conscious because they aren't sentient nor are they aware of what is happening. They are mostly responding to stimuli.
The level of consciousness is irrelevant.
The mother is the most important person.

My question to that argument would be how exactly does leaving the womb suddenly bestow consciousness and the full set of rights that this entails? Surely consciousness (and hence those rights) develops during gestation?
(edited 8 years ago)
It depends.

so life is conditionally sacred? that's nonsense. life is life. either it's sacred or it's not.

Quick Reply

Latest