The Student Room Group

Mitigating Cirumstances/Extenuating Cirumstances/Compelling Personal Reasons

I'll try make this short but, let's say the start of my third year has been a bit ****, I am a third year student who had to repeat one of my years for personal reasons already but at the start of this year I've had a few things happen.

My grandma suddenly passed away, my granddads dementia has gotten a lot worse because of it meaning my mum is having to be his carer for around 9 hours of the day, my great aunt also passed away, and my cousin has been diagnosed with a condition that will in a few years he will be fully blind, and my uncles parkinsons has also gotten a lot worse. So you could say the last 6 months could have gone better.

I have heard all the names in my thread title thrown around with student finance but I don't know which one I actually need to use to try and get a chance at my third year, my uni is useless, they have not helped me at all despite multiple emails to different tutors and heads of department they seem to think I'm perfectly fine and able to come in despite their in house counselor writing a cover letter explaining my issues with the unis support staff not listening or taking 4 full weeks to reply to one email despite multiple follow up emails.

At this point what do I do? I have 2 doctors notes covering me, the first one mid January and another one I got today, and a cover letter from the counselor... I am sure I have a case for this but nobody seems to want to advise me at the uni.... anyone here have any ideas?
(edited 8 years ago)
I might have missed it but what are you after?

Permission from the Uni to leave and redo your third year?
Mitigating circumstances so you complete your year, but they take into account what you have been through?
Extra funding from SFE so you can quit this year and redo the third year, which would make it five years funding?

I only ask becayse you talk about your case v the Uni?
Reply 2
Original post by 999tigger
I might have missed it but what are you after?

Permission from the Uni to leave and redo your third year?
Mitigating circumstances so you complete your year, but they take into account what you have been through?
Extra funding from SFE so you can quit this year and redo the third year, which would make it five years funding?

I only ask becayse you talk about your case v the Uni?

Sorry I didn't make it clear enough.

I am unsure of what my options actually are in terms of getting to redo my third year.

If possible I would like to take my credits from first and second year and move back home and do a course there because to put it bluntly I ****ing hate my uni, they only want to cover their own backs and to hell with my qualification.
Original post by Mista117
Sorry I didn't make it clear enough.

I am unsure of what my options actually are in terms of getting to redo my third year.

If possible I would like to take my credits from first and second year and move back home and do a course there because to put it bluntly I ****ing hate my uni, they only want to cover their own backs and to hell with my qualification.

It's fine I just like to get things clear so I can give you the right answer.

Seems to me you need to run two things in tandem and you need to get this sorted asap.

1. You need to know the process of getting them to consider you for some additional finance. I understand its discretionary and there are no guarantees. Theres an actual student finance section or maybe @PQ can tell you what you need to do or you can post on the offical SFE section and see ifthe DFE reps are out. How does he apply for a 5th year of finance due to beravement? Anyone?

On a practical level I'd expect they need a statement of whats gone on and why you cant continue. You would also need to make a case as to why you wnat a transfer although thats less important.

Then you would need evidence: Medical to confirm your condition or any of the events that have gone on. Counselor, Drs, anyone else you might think relevant

The missing but are documents from the Uni. Not sure what, but probably confirming you were unable to complete this year and they were ok with you going home or transfering.

2. You might want to make some enquiries to see whether the local Uni will take your creduts and what youd need to provide. If they give you a yes or no , then at least you know where you stand.

3. At the same time you need support to engage with your department. Get the counselor and student rep to try and talk to your tutor. cab you go into Uni or is that too much.. Someone has to talk to someone. The letter from the counselor may cover it, but time is moving on.

They need to listen to you and then decide what they can do. If you say you want to leave the third year and transfer credits , then you need their response.

So to get where you want to go: you need:

SFE to confirm they would fund you- need to put in the application.

Local Uni to confirm they will take you + credits- need to contact and see. maybe have a word with their disability people as well and mention mental health reasons.

Current Uni to have a meeting with plus student rep and get to see what they think of letting you go home, leave the course and transfer your credits.

You need everything to fall in place, because if one doesnt ,then it cant work.
Reply 4
Original post by 999tigger
It's fine I just like to get things clear so I can give you the right answer.

Seems to me you need to run two things in tandem and you need to get this sorted asap.

1. You need to know the process of getting them to consider you for some additional finance. I understand its discretionary and there are no guarantees. Theres an actual student finance section or maybe @PQ can tell you what you need to do or you can post on the offical SFE section and see ifthe DFE reps are out. How does he apply for a 5th year of finance due to beravement? Anyone?

On a practical level I'd expect they need a statement of whats gone on and why you cant continue. You would also need to make a case as to why you wnat a transfer although thats less important.

Then you would need evidence: Medical to confirm your condition or any of the events that have gone on. Counselor, Drs, anyone else you might think relevant

The missing but are documents from the Uni. Not sure what, but probably confirming you were unable to complete this year and they were ok with you going home or transfering.

2. You might want to make some enquiries to see whether the local Uni will take your creduts and what youd need to provide. If they give you a yes or no , then at least you know where you stand.

3. At the same time you need support to engage with your department. Get the counselor and student rep to try and talk to your tutor. cab you go into Uni or is that too much.. Someone has to talk to someone. The letter from the counselor may cover it, but time is moving on.

They need to listen to you and then decide what they can do. If you say you want to leave the third year and transfer credits , then you need their response.

So to get where you want to go: you need:

SFE to confirm they would fund you- need to put in the application.

Local Uni to confirm they will take you + credits- need to contact and see. maybe have a word with their disability people as well and mention mental health reasons.

Current Uni to have a meeting with plus student rep and get to see what they think of letting you go home, leave the course and transfer your credits.

You need everything to fall in place, because if one doesnt ,then it cant work.

Well I'm having a meeting with the head of HE tomorrow and I will be letting them have a copy of the new doctors note, so after that I will have to apply for student finance and then try sort everything else out I guess?

I do wish student finance had a section for this kind of stuff that was easy to find on their website, I can't find much on this at all.
Original post by Mista117
Well I'm having a meeting with the head of HE tomorrow and I will be letting them have a copy of the new doctors note, so after that I will have to apply for student finance and then try sort everything else out I guess?

I do wish student finance had a section for this kind of stuff that was easy to find on their website, I can't find much on this at all.

They expect you to contact them by phone.

You can ask someone to ring on your behalf as long as you're present and willing to confirm that you want someone else to speak on your behalf. Or you can write to SFE and grant permission for them to deal directly with someone else without your presence.

@Mark Lee - SFE Official Adviser might be able to talk you through the process for this in more detail.

In terms of transferring - have you contacted the university that you're hoping to move to. Third year transfers can be tricky (because most degree classifications are based on your marks from 2nd and 3rd year) - there are some easy exceptions (switching onto degree "top up" courses designed for people with a foundation degree/HND is one, the other is to cash in your credits so far with the Open University and completing your final year via distance learning) and some trickier ones (negotiating for your credits *and* grades from your 2nd year to be carried across). It depends a lot on the subject you're studying and the universities you're looking to move between.

If your university tutors are being unhelpful then often either the careers service or the student union can offer more guidance on this (and they are usually better at dealing with your university's bureaucracy).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending