The Student Room Group

Have I ruined my life?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by whydoidothis?
People on this site are so stupid. They all want to be earning 100k, chances are they still wont be happy.
You only need a bit of money to do anything. Travel, etc. Tbh you hardly need any money other than rent/clothes etc.

If you want to eat at an expensive restaurant in Paris then yes you do, but I agree with you completely that most people overstate the importance of money these days, it is important to have enough for comfort but 100k a year isn't going to be much use if you're just buying a car or expensive clothes, life is more than that. You get taxed to death anyway.
Original post by similarBlank
Well, it just seems to be a stereotype that if you do a degree ending with 'studies' you might as well open up a restaurant. :P

Before Ethereal said it, then you should see how far in life you get by doing what you wnat to do rather than what you have to. If its a genuine choice for you then go for it, you get a degree and will also get a good experience.

If it's what you want , then thats important.

Obviously you know the difference between institutions, but 50% of graduate jobs are non degree specific. make sure you get a decent grade. You can always do something more vocational after or you might find some niche that is a dream job for you. Don't worry and enjoy it because you will be paying for it.
Original post by High Stakes
Listen mate on a serious note. I suggest if you're actually serious and want to have better employment prospects:

1) You take a gap year and reapply for a more traditional/rigorous course. (research the course, like in point 3).
2) During your gap year, get as much work experience done as possible. Any opportunity you can get your hands on!
3) Do some research! Life is too short to just go on a hunch on what course you think you might enjoy. What do you want to do with your life? Where do you see yourself in the next five years? When you're old and reflecting back on your life, what memories will you cherish the most? And what regrets will you have? Take some time and self-evaluate.
4) Get a productive hobby: Writing, programming, drawing, etc. Anything which involves creating something of value. In my instance, I like to program (it's quite easy to start learning!), and I'll be using any of my free time to create apps and my own personal projects. That way I can have a portfolio of work and stuff to fall back on and it's just a nice bonus to have - a lot of employers find basic programming understanding very attractive. In fact if the value you create, is that valuable, you might be able to make some money off of it! (like me creating apps and websites as a freelance developer!).
5) When you do go to University, make sure you get the highest and best possible results in all your modules - Don't take any of them lightly. Also, use those 3-4 years of study as an opportunity to get to know as many people as possible, and to join as many societies as possible. Networking and building your own "personality" brand.

That's about it. And final comment, if you really do like the degree you picked, fair enough! But I think it would be dishonest for me to sugar coat it and say employers are going to try and track you down and recruit you. You will be competing against others who have performed strong academically and have fantastic work experience, so yes, you will be at a disadvantage there. But make sure the degree you do go with is something you enjoy, because that's the biggest determinant of your success academically at university.

christ almighty. what makes people have such a driven outlook to life :') but well done!
People on this site are so stupid. They all want to be earning 100k, chances are they still wont be happy.
You only need a bit of money to do anything. Travel, etc. Tbh you hardly need any money other than rent/clothes etc.

Yeah, a research recently said that if people make more than $70,000 (About £50,000) it won't really make any more impact on their life than if they were just earning $70,000. You don't really need a lot of money, like you said.
Isn't it just a study of America?

So, you'd just be looking at Americans? Pretty much a very similar culture to the UK, except they have annoying American accents. It would make more sense if it was a very distinct and different culture like Japan, or an Arabic nation.

I imagine its a study of America, culture, history, literature , politics. It is distinct enough, but I can understand if youd prefer to study a different culture. It's the OP's choice.
I'm going to do American Studies at a liberal arts university.

Good luck on life because .... STEM = MASTER RACE.

U Jelly brah?

You haven't ruined your life.

On a side note, can I have fries with that?

Spoiler

Savage! :rofl:

Original post by watuthoughtuknew
christ almighty. what makes people have such a driven outlook to life :':wink: but well done!

Because life is too short man! I hate saying it but, we don't get multiple chances at life and the thing that pushes me really, is how I will feel when I'm old.

What have I done that has had an impact on this world (irrelevant of the scale, whether small or big). You might get the impression that I'm one of this career centred members focused on making money but it's quite the opposite. I want to be successful but I want to do something that's meaningful (without sounding cliche) - The only way I can do that is through working hard. Sure, working in finance like at a bank will rake in a lot of money but when I'm old and looking back, I don't really want to think that I spent a great part of my life working to make some business that doesn't care about me, richer.

So in a sense, I'm just very idealistic. I'll make myself a very competitive and employable individual, but I plan on being my own boss because I feel like people with so much power, influence and money should use their abilities into creating a better world. :colone:
Original post by XxKingSniprxX
Good luck on life because .... STEM = MASTER RACE.

U Jelly brah?

Savage! :rofl:

STEM?
STEM?

Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics = STEM
Yeah, a research recently said that if people make more than $70,000 (About £50,000) it won't really make any more impact on their life than if they were just earning $70,000. You don't really need a lot of money, like you said.

Try and watch this, this guy makes a little bit of cash from a small you-tube gaming channel but is (IMO) living a much more happier life than other people. Had to look around. Although his lifestyle is not exactly what I think is the best, he is happy nonetheless.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CYQ_MXhduEk

Personally i could never work a 9-5 job and plan on just making enough money to travel.
How are you going to get the government to loan money to you for you to go to a private university?

How is that working out?

I would avoid Richmond it is no different to Roehampton.
Well, it just seems to be a stereotype that if you do a degree ending with 'studies' you might as well open up a restaurant. :P

Nowt wrong with opening up a restaurant. You can be a respectable small business owner.
People have succeeded having done all kinds of degrees. At the same time, people have done less well in life (I don't think life is something you can 'fail' - we all die, so what does 'winning' involve?) having done all kinds of degrees. There's a lot of degree snobbery in the world (it's especially concentrated on TSR, so make sure to dilute before drinking) but I would try and ignore it if I were you. The happiest people are those who have followed what they want to do, not what other people want to do, and happiness goes a long way in helping you to succeed. Unless you have happiness and motivation even the most TSR-approved degree won't get you very far.

You can do all kinds of things with any arts/humanities degree - the American Studies degree is no different.
Original post by Justmoll28
whats american studies..?

Studies about America.

Spoiler

Honestly does it even matter that much what degree you do?

University is about learning how to learn - how to analyse facts, spot patterns, debate etc. The actual subject doesn't make that much of an impact unless it's something vocational or specific for your career.

American Studies is well rounded anyway, because you're learning about politics, literature, history and more in one degree.

Yeah because I'm sure doing american studies at a crappy uni will fill OPs heart with joy
Original post by Lawliettt
Yeah because I'm sure doing american studies at a crappy uni will fill OPs heart with joy

If he enjoys it then it will. It goes for anything. Your comment is pathetic.
The Important question is, Do you want to do it? Do you want to do this course for 4 years? If the answer is definitely yes then go for it, Life is too short to miss out on things you want to do. You could ask the university where people tend to go after the degree if your nervous. With something like american studies you'll probably want to look at business or UN, stuff like that maybe? Hope this helps :biggrin:
If he enjoys it then it will. It goes for anything. Your comment is pathetic.

You're the one with a pathetic comment. Do you think OP would make a thread called have I ruined my life if he thought he'd enjoy the course? Stop being a retard please
I'm going to do American Studies at a liberal arts university.

In the days when I used to peruse CVs and job applications, I would most definitely not have been impressed by a degree from Richmond.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending