The Student Room Group

What did you get in GCSE's?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Currently 3 A*s in IGCSE English Language, IGCSE Physics and GCSE Maths. I'm currently studying IGCSE Spanish which I am doing this month and the next and IGCSE Business Studies which I'll do in November.
10 A* (Additional Science, Art and Design, Core Science, English Language, English Literature, History, ICT, Mathematics, Religious Studies, Statistics)
2 A (Media Studies, Spanish)
Original post by Euanw
Currently 3 A*s in IGCSE English Language, IGCSE Physics and GCSE Maths. I'm currently studying IGCSE Spanish which I am doing this month and the next and IGCSE Business Studies which I'll do in November.

Wow amazing, how did you revise for maths?
Original post by zXcodeXz
Oh ok i struggle with general questions and I want an A
Buy a revision guide if you haven't already and read through the topics until you understand them. After that, just do as many past papers as you can to get used to the style of the questions (they're usually pretty similar each year) and to practise applying your knowledge :smile:
Original post by amygracebroad
10 A* (Additional Science, Art and Design, Core Science, English Language, English Literature, History, ICT, Mathematics, Religious Studies, Statistics)
2 A (Media Studies, Spanish)

Oh my god!! I'm having a brain fart over here!! How did you get these fantastic results??
Original post by JRKinder
Buy a revision guide if you haven't already and read through the topics until you understand them. After that, just do as many past papers as you can to get used to the style of the questions (they're usually pretty similar each year) and to practise applying your knowledge :smile:

Ok thanks and I'll go through past papers and attempt the questions and learn how to do them, because the questions are recycled every year
3 A*s- Maths, biology, chemistry
6 As- English Lit, English Lang, RE, Physics, German, History
Ok thanks and I'll go through past papers and attempt the questions and learn how to do them, because the questions are recycled every year
That's the best way, good luck! :smile:
Reply 68
I did Maths in Year 9 and had to teach myself a lot of the syllabus. I got ConquerMaths and did all the past papers from the last 10 years. I worked my socks off! I was doing one or two past papers every day for months. I got to the point where I could get around 95% in under an hour. Khan Academy also has some good videos.

My tips for Maths are:
1) DO PAST PAPERS
2) ConquerMaths
3) MOAR PAST PAPERS

Seriously. The papers don't change, it is the same stuff you get. If you do well on past papers you should be fine. Also when I did past papers I would mark them after and make a note of the questions I struggled on or didn't get right. I would then go over lessons on Conquer Maths or Khan Academy. Hope this helps.
Oh my god!! I'm having a brain fart over here!! How did you get these fantastic results??

To be honest quite a bit of it came naturally, because I have a decent memory, though the Sciences were always a struggle for me because I just didn't *get* them like my other subjects. So I didn't panic about not understanding them and instead just memorised definitions and what my teachers called 'Standard Answers' which were full marks answers to common questions, such as terminal velocity in Physics, or a convection current, or denatured enzymes. And so then, I could answer the questions without really understanding them. I've never been a Science person and this got me through it, but if you want to do Sciences further on I wouldn't recommend it as you require the basic knowledge to do A Levels, obviously.
As for other subjects, for Maths just do as many past questions as possible. I barely revised for Maths because it's one of those things that if you know, you know, and you just do it, For English Literature, try making mindmaps about all the different themes. For History, timelines are useful.
For essay based subjects, practising exam questions can be time consuming, so I usually do a bullet point plan for a question instead, but in a fair amount of detail.
Hope this all helps!
Amy :smile:
Original post by horsewithnoname
3 A*s- Maths, biology, chemistry
6 As- English Lit, English Lang, RE, Physics, German, History

Wow If I got that I'd collapse I joke!!
Original post by Euanw
I did Maths in Year 9 and had to teach myself a lot of the syllabus. I got ConquerMaths and did all the past papers from the last 10 years. I worked my socks off! I was doing one or two past papers every day for months. I got to the point where I could get around 95% in under an hour. Khan Academy also has some good videos.

My tips for Maths are:
1) DO PAST PAPERS
2) ConquerMaths
3) MOAR PAST PAPERS

Seriously. The papers don't change, it is the same stuff you get. If you do well on past papers you should be fine. Also when I did past papers I would mark them after and make a note of the questions I struggled on or didn't get right. I would then go over lessons on Conquer Maths or Khan Academy. Hope this helps.

Thank you very much, I realised that they just use the same questions every time but they just change the numbers and names
4 A*s - English Literature, History, Mathematics, Religious Studies
5 As - Art, English Language, Geography, Science (Year 10), Science (Year 11)
1B - German
1C - ICT (but that was a 'half course' and I missed some of the coursework for that... too busy focusing on everything else)

I haven't done that well though. I'm at a 'good' university but I'm pretty miserable here and it's fairly likely I won't get a 2:1.
(edited 8 years ago)
To be honest quite a bit of it came naturally, because I have a decent memory, though the Sciences were always a struggle for me because I just didn't *get* them like my other subjects. So I didn't panic about not understanding them and instead just memorised definitions and what my teachers called 'Standard Answers' which were full marks answers to common questions, such as terminal velocity in Physics, or a convection current, or denatured enzymes. And so then, I could answer the questions without really understanding them. I've never been a Science person and this got me through it, but if you want to do Sciences further on I wouldn't recommend it as you require the basic knowledge to do A Levels, obviously.
As for other subjects, for Maths just do as many past questions as possible. I barely revised for Maths because it's one of those things that if you know, you know, and you just do it, For English Literature, try making mindmaps about all the different themes. For History, timelines are useful.
For essay based subjects, practising exam questions can be time consuming, so I usually do a bullet point plan for a question instead, but in a fair amount of detail.
Hope this all helps!
Amy :smile:

Thank you so much that was very helpful I don't struggle with science I always get A's and in fact I want to do all of the sciences in a levels next year
Original post by MaskOfKeaton
4 A*s - English Literature, History, Mathematics, Religious Studies
5 As - Art, English Language, Geography, Science (Year 10), Science (Year 11)
1B - German
1C - ICT (but that was a 'half course' and I missed some of the coursework for that... too busy focusing on everything else)

I haven't done that well though. I'm at a 'good' university but I'm pretty miserable here and it's fairly likely I won't get a 2:1.

Wow how did you revise for literature I want an A*
Thank you so much that was very helpful I don't struggle with science I always get A's and in fact I want to do all of the sciences in a levels next year

you're very lucky then! Revising Sciences when you don't understand them can be extremely time consuming, I've been there! Good luck with your revision :smile:
you're very lucky then! Revising Sciences when you don't understand them can be extremely time consuming, I've been there! Good luck with your revision :smile:

Thank you and I wasn't great at science when I was younger lol
I got 5A*s, 6As
If I were you I would do lots of past papers, particularly for maths :wink:
Original post by AnnieBeth61
I got 5A*s, 6As
If I were you I would do lots of past papers, particularly for maths :wink:

Woah!! If I got that I could get in the school that I want!!
Woah!! If I got that I could get in the school that I want!!

What sort of grades do you need to get into your school out of interest?

Quick Reply

Latest