The Student Room Group

Its my birthday today and nobody cares :(

Its my birthday today and once again i'm just sat spending the day alone.

Any normal person would hate having to go to work on their birthday but for me its the highlight of my day as its the only opportunity to get any social interaction. I've barely stopped crying since I got home.

Every single year I have a birthday it always makes me feel like **** and nobody cares about me. I have a best friend who I love to bits and I spent the weekend with her and her boyfriend but they are all I have in the world. Nobody else bothered to make the effort after uni and i've really struggled to make new friends as I live alone, i'm really shy/nervous and i'm far too ugly for a relationship.

Everyone else has loads of exciting plans or at the very least gets to spend it with their loved ones. For the umpteenth year in a row I haven't even got a card. Nobody from my family has said anything and for the 3rd year in a row my best friend is the only one whos even sent me a message.

I am sick of dreading my birthday every year and just feel so pathetic. Everyone else in their 20s is out living their life but nobody cares if I even exist

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous

Any normal person would hate having to go to work on their birthday but for me its the highlight of my day as its the only opportunity to get any social interaction. I've barely stopped crying since I got home.

Every single year I have a birthday it always makes me feel like **** and nobody cares about me. I have a best friend who I love to bits and I spent the weekend with her and her boyfriend but they are all I have in the world. Nobody else bothered to make the effort after uni and i've really struggled to make new friends as I live alone, i'm really shy/nervous and i'm far too ugly for a relationship.

Everyone else has loads of exciting plans or at the very least gets to spend it with their loved ones. For the umpteenth year in a row I haven't even got a card. Nobody from my family has said anything and for the 3rd year in a row my best friend is the only one whos even sent me a message.

I am sick of dreading my birthday every year and just feel so pathetic. Everyone else in their 20s is out living their life but nobody cares if I even exist

Happy birthday man(?) I know those feels :sigh:

You just gotta get out there
Happy birthday :frown:
You could go out and treat yourself if you want, who knows, you could meet new people and have loads of fun
Happy birthday :redface:
Do you not have any family you could talk to?
Reply 4
Happy birthday anon!!

Your post made me feel a little sad but in reality I think a lot more people get "birthday blues" than we all realise. Birthdays are so hyped up and ofcourse you're only going to see the ones celebrated in style, the ones that post their photos on fb for everyone to see etc. Go treat yourself to a birthday cake please :smile: any one you like - and you get to pick it! and eat it all yourself mmm. Birthdays are definitely overrated, don't beat yourself up over it.

If it makes you feel any better - change your fb settings so it knows when your birthday is and notifies fb friends? I for one, am certain that 90% of my fb birthday messages that I get probably wouldnt have happened if it werent for fb reminding them. (I'm not bashing the concept though - i know a handful of friends birthdays but thats it.. It's nice to wish someone you care about but aren't so close that you have memorised their birthday etc etc)

Take the evening off & watch a movie you enjoy :smile: or some online shopping.. anything you like :smile:

It's mine very soon and I don't care at all. I forgot that it was until very recently, and I'm not even thinking about getting any 'presents' or getting anything. Sure, all of my friends are partying on their eighteenths, but that doesn't affect me. It's just another day and that's it. I enjoy what I do with my time in general and that makes me happy.

I'm extremely socially anxious and almost definitely worse than you. I'm also not especially good looking IMO and I never even talk to girls. But I take advantage of what I do have. I have many very strong talents, only one of which I can actually do (which is kinda sad I guess). I take advantage of this. I do it all the time, thoroughly enjoy it and have become extremely good at it.

Take advantage of anything (skills in particular). Exploit (not in a bad way of course) whatever you do have as much as is physically possible and ignore what you don't have.
Sending you a virtual hug. There are people out there who will love you - you just haven't found them yet.
Happy birthday:biggrin:
Honestly, I didn't do anything for my birthday either this year. I think this is more normal than you realise. Put on some music or watch a film to lift your spirits:smile:
Happy birthday angel 🎉🎉🎉. Trust me you're beautiful and you got the most amazing smile I could imagine.

And wait wait wait listen....come along, lets laugh hard
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHHAAHHAHHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAA :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

Feel better soon not because you don't want others to know but because you deserve it xx

mate/ dudette (no idea which you are so apologies). hope you can enjoy what you can today and have a wonderful life. I myself know what its like to feel alone and have nobody to wish you a happy birthday with you (minus parents and 3 of my best friends).
Reply 10
Happy birthday!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:party::party2:
The night is but young OP, you could do anything (well almost anything)! Go out and have a drink, go on a nice walk, take your revenge on society by going on a killing spree... okay maybe not that last one but, I don't know, I never do any of these things either when I'm alone on my birthday because I'm really shy too... but I guess you always have to try and make a change. :smile:
I care, happy birthday!

aside from all these consolation posts trying to make you feel better this post is a relatable post.
1. i feel sometimes like no-one cares about me to, someone probably does care but i probably just don't know about it.
2. this will be me in the future, living alone ugly af(i'm not exactly beautiful) yup super shy and nervous, i think introvert is the word.
3. same i don't have any plans to do anything or spend time with my loved ones(i don't truly have any)
4. i have only 1 best friend like you :smile: all other i classify as friends..... they haven't gained my true trust.
5. personally i just feel as if birthdays are unimportant, it really doesn't make an impact on my life besides telling me i'm older >.> so i choose not to celebrate birthdays, everyone else around me is going out and being all chummy with each other, then there's me the outcast xD but just dive into the world of games, anime or anything else you want. then you can truly be happy xD
Happy birthday sweetheart. Feel better soon. Now GET OUT THERE and party your butt off. :bunny: You deserve it. And who knows, maybe you'll meet a guy? I'm sure you are beautiful. The only thing holding you back is shyness and self doubt.

Things will get better...
:birthday:

Happy Birthday!!!
Reply 15
Hey, i'm sure it's nothing personal you've probably just got used to shutting yourself off. Do your workmates ask you to do anything or about you? Don't try and hide anything really, if you want to hang out with them just ask and tag along see what it's like. I find the world can be a pretty cruel place to the inactive, if you don't get everyone together you can't just assume people will be there for you and understand your needs.
Aww

What kind of bastard family do you have eh

Posted from TSR Mobile
Happy birthday from me! And it is not all that bad... learn to like your own company - you won't need anyone then. And people often who get "surprised" for their birthday - probably surprise themselves - its not the doing of other people :smile:

Xx
Terribly sorry to hear that :frown: people are awful sometimes, don't take it personally. Happy Birthday from me :hugs:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Aww I'm so sorry OP. A very happy birthday to you!!:h: and remember you're special no matter what they say

Latest

Trending

Trending