The Student Room Group

Why do people with darker skin never dye their hair?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Dinasaurus
I always see Asians dying their hair, like Koreans especially.

To be honest I have always wondered where the like pink and blue hair colouring thing came from in East Asian communities :s-smilie: is it like punk rock?? Their own thing, Idk.
Original post by JMACM98
For Afro hair, bleaches and dyes are just extremely damaging due to it's texture and more often than not would cause irreparable damage to it. The coloured hair you see on black celebrities (you mentioned Rihanna) is usually wigs or weave, which of course isn't their natural hair

lmao Rihanna dyes to the scalp.
Strong chemicals will damage all types of hair, not just "Afro" hair. And that doesn't stop people from using it.
Because it will look weird.

I don't see myself with red or blonde hair and peoples hair texture varies, some are prone to braekage.
Original post by LittleMissMay
To be honest I have always wondered where the like pink and blue hair colouring thing came from in East Asian communities :s-smilie: is it like punk rock?? Their own thing, Idk.

It's really common in the like Korean Pop industry
Reply 24
lmao Rihanna dyes to the scalp.
Strong chemicals will damage all types of hair, not just "Afro" hair. And that doesn't stop people from using it.

She said herself she wears wigs.
Of course, but due to the nature of Afro hair it's a lot more susceptible to damage and bleaching it wouldn't be good for it at all. At the end of the day our hair texture is vastly different to that of Europeans so our hair can only withstand so much. Of course some people still do it and that's fine, but that's the general answer to the question
You can't generalise the topic like that.
Mostly it's preference.
In general having darker hair is harder to dye and maintain. It requires stronger bleach to lift and that might put some people off.
Some people prefer having natural hair. Curly and frizzy hair is difficult to manage as it is without adding dyeing and bleaching into the mix. It's a tricky to work with hair type that doesn't take colour well.

Blonde and red aren't natural colours for darker skin. It's very rare to be naturally blonde and have darker skin.
It isn't a cultural thing, people will do it if they want to. If people don't want to then they won't. Some people just prefer natural colours so you might see them but not notice it. Henna is quite commonly used in India and over here to colour hair.

Like any style, it can look good if it's done right.
Also just because you don't see them, it doesn't mean that darker people with dyed hair don't exist. You just might not see them in your area, y'know?
I would look hideous with blonde hair :rofl:

Also, dark hair slayssssss
It looks butters thats why
Original post by JMACM98
She said herself she wears wigs.
Of course, but due to the nature of Afro hair it's a lot more susceptible to damage and bleaching it wouldn't be good for it at all. At the end of the day our hair texture is vastly different to that of Europeans so our hair can only withstand so much. Of course some people still do it and that's fine, but that's the general answer to the question

Ok. Like I said. Rihanna dyes to the scalp. I've seen her dye it to the scalp, especially when she had it red for Loud.
And actually black hair might be more durable.
Nonetheless it's still pretty silly to say dark people don't dye their hair.
My friends got dark skin she dyes her hair
It doesn't turn out nice.
Bleaching black hair = ginger

Spoiler

In my opinion, those with darker skin tones (like myself as I come from a indian/bangladeshi background) believe dying our hair will not suit our skin tone. I think most of us have a self belief that it will look odd or bizarre but I still have an urge to dye or even chalk my hair. I have the standardjet black hair which is okay but I have always thought about highlighting it but I've considered the risk of it looking off and strage. But I agree I think that some people (like asians) don't often dye their hair.
I agree with the others though. It may simply be preference.
Original post by Dinasaurus
It's really common in the like Korean Pop industry

Yea I know I'm saying when did they start doing that, the Japanese as well have eccentric hairstyles. I like it just curious when it happened, could be exposure to Western media.
Original post by G8D
Can you dye a weave?

I'm sure if it's human hair lol
I'm sure if it's human hair lol

Rofl, what if it isn't human hair :h:
Jesus the amount of spelling mistakes in my previous reply is cringey .-.
not sure, you better ask them! :smile:
Original post by JMACM98
(Also, not to be pedantic but Rihanna's red hair was definitely not real lol. Her and her stylist said it was human hair extensions)

...I've seen her with it dyed on her natural hair

do you see her hair in the front? It's hers! :colonhash:
I never said she doesn't wear weaves, not that I'm sure why you keep insisting.
To simply settle this I think it is mainly personal preference.

Quick Reply

Latest