The Student Room Group

Envious of my older sister

I feel envious of my older sister who is 19 as she is talented in playing the piano(we both had piano lessons but i gave up) and naturally excels in school. Most of her GCSE grades were A's and a few B's however, i could not outsmart her. I find school hard and don't like the fact that she hardly puts the work in what she does but passes with flying colours because of her natural ability. She claims she works harder than me but i odn't see her do much, even round the house, she does not clean up but stays on her bed 24/7 and expects stuff to be done for her like its nothing.:angry: I feel like more grown up than her because i clean up despite she is 1 year older than me.

I feel worthless because i have a learning difficulty and feel like i have not been gifted with any talent, i literally feel good for nothing.:redface:

I don't know what to do and can't stop feeling this way, parents would sometimes compare us and i don't find it fair:frown:

Is it true that no matter how hard working you are, you will never outsmart the talented and naturally gifted because they have been blessed to excel at what they do?:redface:

I don't know what to do and this has ALWAYS been bothering for as long as i can remember. :frown:

I really don't tknow what to do.:redface:

Any advice that will ACTUALLY help me?
Original post by Anonymous
I feel envious of my older sister who is 19 as she is talented in playing the piano(we both had piano lessons but i gave up) and naturally excels in school. Most of her GCSE grades were A's and a few B's however, i could not outsmart her. I find school hard and don't like the fact that she hardly puts the work in what she does but passes with flying colours because of her natural ability. She claims she works harder than me but i odn't see her do much, even round the house, she does not clean up but stays on her bed 24/7 and expects stuff to be done for her like its nothing.:angry: I feel like more grown up than her because i clean up despite she is 1 year older than me.

I feel worthless because i have a learning difficulty and feel like i have not been gifted with any talent, i literally feel good for nothing.:redface:

I don't know what to do and can't stop feeling this way, parents would sometimes compare us and i don't find it fair:frown:

Is it true that no matter how hard working you are, you will never outsmart the talented and naturally gifted because they have been blessed to excel at what they do?:redface:

I don't know what to do and this has ALWAYS been bothering for as long as i can remember. :frown:

No that's not true at all :smile: It's understandable that school is hard with a learning difficulty, I bet you work harder than your classmates but they just don't notice it. You might not realise but I bet your brain does something better than other people for example I m not brilliant at many things but after years of trying to adapt to get through thing I struggle with I m brilliant at solving problems. There ll be something you ll excell at you just haven't found it yet. Take it from me I know it's difficult not to but try not to compare yourself to other people it just drags you down.

to an extent yes it true you can't outsmart them but however you can out do them so find something you can do and stick at it i did with jewellery and am opening my first store this year
I don't understand why you're jealous of your own sister. Yes, there are areas where you feel she's superior but why do you focus on the negative aspects of your life? Why not focus on areas that you are good at and channel those positive feelings? I understand you have learning difficulties but so what? Don't consider that as a bad thing. Think about hobbies and things that make you happy and do that. Do what makes you happy.

Sorry if I sound harsh (it's 4am :colondollar:) but you really should try being more positive and look at the positive aspects of your life instead of focusing on only the negatives.
Reply 4
Maybe it's your parents' fault. Comparing you two is not good. I think you might be focusing so much on your sister's positive traits that you can't see yours. Everyone is or can be good at something.
Reply 5
Original post by jamesthehustler
to an extent yes it true you can't outsmart them but however you can out do them so find something you can do and stick at it i did with jewellery and am opening my first store this year

That's great ad I hope I find something that I am good at.
Reply 6
Original post by Legendary Quest
I don't understand why you're jealous of your own sister. Yes, there are areas where you feel she's superior but why do you focus on the negative aspects of your life? Why not focus on areas that you are good at and channel those positive feelings? I understand you have learning difficulties but so what? Don't consider that as a bad thing. Think about hobbies and things that make you happy and do that. Do what makes you happy.

Sorry if I sound harsh (it's 4am :colondollar:) but you really should try being more positive and look at the positive aspects of your life instead of focusing on only the negatives.

Yes, what you are saying its true but its hard for me to think of the positive since all my life I have been put down by family and teachers and have not really found the things that I am good at and truly like.:redface:
Reply 7
Original post by idril93
Maybe it's your parents' fault. Comparing you two is not good. I think you might be focusing so much on your sister's positive traits that you can't see yours. Everyone is or can be good at something.

I don't see any positives in me but that maybe a harsh statement coming form me

:redface:
Yes, what you are saying its true but its hard for me to think of the positive since all my life I have been put down by family and teachers and have not really found the things that I am good at and truly like.:redface:

I felt the exact same throughout school, my family were supportive but my teachers weren't ones for giving out praise but when you leave school you realise that not all those things matter as much, take a I'm going to prove those stupid people wrong if you can.

currently in life i agree with this statement so far

i've worked super hard in school for my subjects i suck at and my grades got worse >.>

Quick Reply