The Student Room Group

If you study for enjoyment can you get overworked

First let me say this. I don't particularly like revising or studying subjects (im currently at GCSE level) but I still do it anyway, cuz...you know...don't wanna fail...

In contrast to studying, I could literally play on the xbox/ps4 for god knows how long, without even the thought of breaks

But say that, in the extremely rare occasion, you became possibly addicted/intriguied to studying, could you do it for many long hours without being overworked? Most people say you have to have a break when studying after 25-45 mins. But just out of curiosity, is it possible to study for long hours in enjoyment without needing breaks. Tbh it would be challenging, but much easier for me, if I loved playing the **** out of ps4 as much as revising for exams...
Yes, its not a matter of liking what you do.
Building on what I was saying in the other thread; if you genuinely care about the subjects you're studying, rather than thinking of them as a stepping stone to your end goal of being an investment banker/lawyer/doctor/ insert other vocation, you're way more likely to be able to study without even realising it. I personally very rarely sit down and "revise" per se; I just spend a lot of time reading around subjects that I find intriguing. I don't have a proper method for revising, and instead I just let my thoughts wonder towards questions in my subjects at other times :tongue:
Reply 3
It's possible but it doesn't mean you won't get tired from it. It just means that despite being tired you're still doing it.
Original post by AlphaQuark
Building on what I was saying in the other thread; if you genuinely care about the subjects you're studying, rather than thinking of them as a stepping stone to your end goal of being an investment banker/lawyer/doctor/ insert other vocation, you're way more likely to be able to study without even realising it. I personally very rarely sit down and "revise" per se; I just spend a lot of time reading around subjects that I find intriguing. I don't have a proper method for revising, and instead I just let my thoughts wonder towards questions in my subjects at other times :tongue:

Yeah I guess that works more for history, because you can actually research stuff about it and write it in your exams and still get marks, plus you could stand out from the examiner
Reply 5
That's how I work for my A levels.
Tbh, I just start and time tends to just fly by :redface:. :flybye:
I could go for hours and hours.
(Sometimes I forget to eat lunch/dinner, so errr don't do that. :innocent: )

There did get to a point where I was just exausted from the work, but now I know how long I can work, which is different for everyone I guess :dontknow:
Reply 6
I wouldn't mind getting addicted to studying instead of spending hours procrastinating :erm:
I wish I was addicted to studying .-.
Your brain will eventually get fatigued and you'll begin just staring at the material, not actually taking anything in. Breaks are essential both for keeping motivation levels up, reducing procrastination, maintaining efficiency and reducing mental fatigue. If you were playing PS4 all day, no matter how much you enjoyed it, I reckon your thumbs would hurt by the time night draws in.
Original post by Scott M Harvey
Your brain will eventually get fatigued and you'll begin just staring at the material, not actually taking anything in. Breaks are essential both for keeping motivation levels up, reducing procrastination, maintaining efficiency and reducing mental fatigue. If you were playing PS4 all day, no matter how much you enjoyed it, I reckon your thumbs would hurt by the time night draws in.

Haha, you underestimate me :colone:
Original post by Username3097486
Haha, you underestimate me :colone:

Haha! I probably do! I can never understand how people do it; my hands just freeze up if I play for too long!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending