The Student Room Group

I'm wearing contacts, AMA

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Questioness
A little longer for me, I must admit. I sat at the front desk lookin a mess with mascara stained eyes :facepalm2:

I just sit there and remember :sparta:
Reply 21
Behold guys, I'm gunna attempt- to ever so slight nudge them off. Just a little... :poke:

*Prays*
Reply 22
Took 20 minutes and the answer is yes, it does hurt even after the contacts are taken out. Weirdly enough, I think I miss them.

Also, I have a question for anyone here wears contacts. Have you ever got an eye infection?
I had to sign something declaring I realise that contacts increase risk of developing eye infections. So I'm just curious.
Took 20 minutes and the answer is yes, it does hurt even after the contacts are taken out. Weirdly enough, I think I miss them.

Also, I have a question for anyone here wears contacts. Have you ever got an eye infection?
I had to sign something declaring I realise that contacts increase risk of developing eye infections. So I'm just curious.

I've worn them since I was 9 and never had an infection:tongue: just make sure you wash and dry your hands before you put them in or take them out, if you have a tiny bit of soap or something else on your hands they'll hurt like hell
Reply 24
Original post by calicocollie
I've worn them since I was 9 and never had an infection:tongue: just make sure you wash and dry your hands before you put them in or take them out, if you have a tiny bit of soap or something else on your hands they'll hurt like hell

Ahhh right, why since 9? That's awfully young .
I'm short sighted, I hate wearing glasses. I hate knowing that I can't see the world like everyone else. I hate the weight it places on my head. I hate the way my it puts marks my skin. Meh i hate just about everything.

Pretty much how I feel. I like how I look in glasses but it's annoying having to wear them all the time.
Have you ever considered laser surgery? I've been tempted to get it done but I keep getting put off because I'd be worried about the pain involved. It would feel so good though to be able to see clearly without glasses constantly on my face.
Reply 26
Original post by Alesha1991
Pretty much how I feel. I like how I look in glasses but it's annoying having to wear them all the time.
Have you ever considered laser surgery? I've been tempted to get it done but I keep getting put off because I'd be worried about the pain involved. It would feel so good though to be able to see clearly without glasses constantly on my face.

Yes LASIK seems like the best. I'm not really afraid of the operation itself, I just fear the possible repercussions of a surgical mistake.
i got contacts about a month ago after wearing glasses for 8-9 years + i felt just like this at first! i think you just have to get used to the feeling of lenses on your eyeballs. i'm used to it now. and at first, i thought i'd never be able to wear contacts, after my first appointment with the optician he asked me to try putting them in for the first time, i just sat there trying for half an hour but couldn't + i went home feeling terrible. but i went back, tried again, + now i can take them in + out every morning + night pretty easily!!
Reply 28
Original post by lovegoodjpg
i got contacts about a month ago after wearing glasses for 8-9 years + i felt just like this at first! i think you just have to get used to the feeling of lenses on your eyeballs. i'm used to it now. and at first, i thought i'd never be able to wear contacts, after my first appointment with the optician he asked me to try putting them in for the first time, i just sat there trying for half an hour but couldn't + i went home feeling terrible. but i went back, tried again, + now i can take them in + out every morning + night pretty easily!!

Yeah, the lenses feel like the worst atm but I think it's needs some getting used to. I'll probably keep a few contacts but also wear my glasses until I'm comfortable with them.

I feel proud I got them first time :u:. I looked like I mess after tho but I was still kicking it :kungfu:.

It's irrated my eyes, I feel like crap atm even though it's been out for hours aha. I think it's cuz I had to take off and on repeatedly to show the opticians I can put it on/off alone. Must of irritated me eyes.
(edited 7 years ago)
Ahhh right, why since 9? That's awfully young .

I wore glasses for a year and absolutely hated them and my mum had contacts so they let me have them since she knew what to do
I wear daily lenses not monthly so they are cleaner. When I first had them (about 15 years ago) I couldn't put them in and had problems pulling them out. Now I can walk and put them in the same time
I'm short sighted, I hate wearing glasses. I hate knowing that I can't see the world like everyone else. I hate the weight it places on my head. I hate the way my it puts marks my skin. Meh i hate just about everything.

I wear rimless glasses for that reason. Actually I have a few pairs only one is Rimless which I wear most of the time (because it is progressives and because it is super light weight.)

I do wear contacts sometimes, but they are annoying and hurt sometimes so when I don't feel 100% fine with my glasses (hay fever, tiredness or anything) I don't wear them... I even prefer going without any correction than having pain in my eyes.
First time wearing contacts. Been wearing glasses for about 4 years. Yeah I guess but I hate the way it gets in the way of life.I'm Probably lookin to deep into it but that's how I feel.

You should limit the time you wear them to 1-3 hours at the first day and adding 1 hour each day until you reach the max hours advised.
Reply 33
Original post by Kathy89
You should limit the time you wear them to 1-3 hours at the first day and adding 1 hour each day until you reach the max hours advised.

Yup, not wearing them at all today. I feel much better but my eyes are still slightly sore. I'll try again tomorrow. Can't really get worse, can it?

Spoiler

Yup, not wearing them at all today. I feel much better but my eyes are still slightly sore. I'll try again tomorrow. Can't really get worse, can it?

Spoiler

Did you go to an optometrist to get them? What was the advice about the amount of time to wear them?
Reply 35
Original post by Kathy89
Did you go to an optometrist to get them? What was the advice about the amount of time to wear them?

Yes, I did. They told me to wear it for about 4 hours and gradually increase the time I wear it for.
Yes, I did. They told me to wear it for about 4 hours and gradually increase the time I wear it for.

If you follow that advice and still have irritated eye go back to the optometrist and explain your feelings. They might change the lens type.

Were you wearing make up when you put them in? because the makeup could of got in your eye and then pressed against your eyes and only moved after 20 mins if that makes sense. And I haven't, as long as you clean them you won't:smile:
Reply 38
Original post by idontknowmedoyou
Were you wearing make up when you put them in? because the makeup could of got in your eye and then pressed against your eyes and only moved after 20 mins if that makes sense. And I haven't, as long as you clean them you won't:smile:

I had eyeliner and mascara on- I hadn't realised it would be so messy :redface:.
I had eyeliner and mascara on- I hadn't realised it would be so messy :redface:.

Yeah thats most likely why it hurt aha:smile: you should put contact lenses in before make up so that it doesn't get in your eyes:biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest