The Student Room Group

Extra time in exams

Is it true that exam boards have stopped giving extra time (25 %) to international students (who did not previously study in a school where english is the language of instruction) this year?
Reply 1
Original post by baebae
Is it true that exam boards have stopped giving extra time (25 %) to international students (who did not previously study in a school where english is the language of instruction) this year?

I'm not entirely sure what you mean, but if you are taking A levels in England/Wales/Northern Ireland then you cannot have extra time just because you have been taught in English for less than 2 years and need the time to consult a dictionary. You can still have the dictionary. (I is still possible to get extra time if you are taking GCSEs but the rules have been tightened for this too - I think you need only to have been learning English for less than 2 years.)
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Compost
I'm not entirely sure what you mean, but if you are taking A levels in England/Wales/Northern Ireland then you cannot have extra time just because you have been taught in English for less than 2 years and need the time to consult a dictionary. You can still have the dictionary. (I is still possible to get extra time if you are taking GCSEs but the rules have been tightened for this too - I think you need only to have been learning English for less than 2 years.)

I'm taking my A-Levels outside the UK, it's just that last year when sitting my AS Level exams I did have extra-time (it was my first year having been taught in English) but today overheard someone in school say that exam boards changed the rules :s-smilie:
thought someone on tsr could clarify this.. so are you saying that they did change the rules?
Reply 3
Original post by baebae
I'm taking my A-Levels outside the UK, it's just that last year when sitting my AS Level exams I did have extra-time (it was my first year having been taught in English) but today overheard someone in school say that exam boards changed the rules :s-smilie:
thought someone on tsr could clarify this.. so are you saying that they did change the rules?

They've been gradually tightening things up - the rules used to allow extra time for anyone who had only started being taught primarily in English within the past 2 years. This year it has been specifically limited to GCSEs and pretty much to those who did not start learning English until 2 years ago.
(edited 8 years ago)
Yes it has been stopped. I teach A levels to International students who did get extra time for AS. They have just been told that they wont get extra time for A2.

Quick Reply

Latest